Top Ten Cutest Photos of 2011

People, this year’s Top Ten Cutest Photos list blows 2010 and 2009 AWAY—see for yourselfs. This morning, we checked the Xtreme Cute Overload Stat-o-Meter™ which tracks every post, checks the amount of screeching per image, and reports back. Then we know we got ya. Based on that metering system, and without further ado, here are the Top Ten Photos of 2011.

Cue the Cute Lang Syne music!

#10 Cutest Photo of 2011:
Goosey Two Shoes

Just when we thought Red Goose Shoes went out of business decades ago, they go and make a comeback. Sender-inner Rebecca B. explains:

These nice folks were staying with us at the St. Francis Inn in St. Augustine, FL. They let me photograph their pet goose, who goes by the name of “Gator.”

While walking alongside his owners in urban or suburban areas, Gator often has to cross many blocks of asphalt and concrete. All that rough terrain takes a toll on his feet, so his people commissioned a special pair of Teva sandals for their bird.

They say it’s totally worth the expense, and Gator seems to like the shoes just fine …

… though sometimes it looks like he “marches” more than he walks. Very deliberate steps.

#9 Cutest Photo of 2011:
You’re my Puppy

According a story floating around the Internets, this little ginger foster kitten named Cheech was introduced to a teeny tiny five-day old orphaned chihuahua puppy named Casanova.

Cheech took to the little puppy, immediately grooming and cleaning him.

The puppy responded to his every touch, snuggling up to his new friend like a pup to his mother.

When Cheech was tired, he would climb into the puppy’s box and cuddle, sharing the heating blanket.

To Cheech, he was “his” puppy and best friend.

You have GOT to be kidding me [cross-eyed head tilt], Holly F. Photos may be by Kimberly J, we’re not sure…

[ooh ooh, lookit who popped up in the comments! the original story!]

#8 Cutest Photo of 2011:
Ladies and Gentlemen, The Cutest Kitten in the World.

For your Caturday pleasure, this is an encore Presentayshe of Meme, originally posted April 2008.

There are really no sufficient words to accurately describe the proshness you are about to witness. Rest-assured the Japanese [shaking fist to sky] beat us AGAIN on this one. This time with the delectable dollop named “Memebon”

070610_04
070621_02
070621_08
070623_04
070624_05
070628_07
070628_08
See a LOT more of Memebon, her family and tons of merch over at Memebon.jp ;)

#7 Cutest Photo of 2011:
Release the Dweebs!

OBOY OBOY HERE I GO HYUP HYUP LEMMIE ATTEM HERP DERP

HUFFA PUFFA WAIT FER ME CHUFFA CHUFFA WHEEZE

BLARRFLE NARFLE FLAPPITY-FLAFFLE MARGLE PLEARF BLAP

Submitterated by Mischa M. More poise and grace here.

#6 Cutest Photo of 2011:
Plankittening

Kitten Planking! IT’S THE NEW OWLING! TEAPOTTING!

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Elizabeth V., you are a TRENDSETTER

#5 Cutest Photo of 2011:
The Tiniest Snorfer

(…is also the tiniest hoofer, schnozzle and ear flaps coincidentally.)

You absolutely must click to see the other shot of this piglet by whisker snaps photo.

#4 Cutest Photo of 2011:
THIS JUST IN: Pug wearing Pug Slippères

Redonk. Scroll down for proshness:

Sender-Inner Megan B. likes things in triplicate to be safe. Photo by Wombatarama.

#3 Cutest Photo of 2011:
Baby ferret dreams of changing THE WORLD!

One day, [dreamily] ferrets won’t be seen just as furry knee socks with eyes, or hammock-dwelling, mischievous ne’er do-wells!

Dsc_0038

No! [shifts anerable feets] we ferrets will stand up and — Mmm, delicious blankie — lead other Pocket Pets by example!

Dsc_0028
No more shoe stealing, constant cat swiping or hiding under bed covers surprising humans when they least expect eet! —Yawn—

Dsc_0033
That day will come, Claire. It will.

#2 Cutest Photo of 2011:
Ladies and Gentlemen, the best pet Halloween costume of all time.

For the record:
1. Yes, I am biased because I have (and adore) Italian Greyhounds
2. Yes, I am biased because I love Star Wars
3. Yes, I am biased because I appreciate my local “inspiration” for AT-ATs

Still, you cannot deny this remains the best Halloween pet costume you’ve seen since “Croc Munches Pup

Inspiring work, Katie M.! Pup “Bones” has a FaceBook page, natch.

#1 Cutest photo of 2011:
How to Pick Up a Baby Red Panda in 5 Easy Steps

Step 1: Locate Cub. Snorf cub neck to determine if said cub is indeed the correct cub that needs a pickin’ (up.)

Chester Zoo - Red Panda Baby
Step 2: Brace self with nearby log (or chair leg) for support

Chester Zoo - Red Panda Baby
Step 3:  Grip cub firmly with patented Double-Wrap-Around-Huggular-Neck-Chomp-n-Claw™ motion!

Chester Zoo - Red Panda Baby
Step 4: If cub grip loosens, perform extra snarfing action at nape of neck

Chester Zoo - Baby Red Panda
Step 5: Finally, carry cub around like you own the place!

Chester Zoo - Red Panda Baby
Oh and, try not to swing the baby to and fro, it’s bad form.

Chester Zoo - Red Panda Baby
Cuteporter Sarah A. discovered these gems by RomeoOliverPool.

So there you have it, the Top Ten Cutest Photos of 2011. We hope your mind is sufficiently blown. Our Stat-o-meter™ will register it, you cannot hide!

Don’t miss the older (but in no way better!) Top Tens!
Top Ten Cutest Photos of 2010
Top Ten Cutest Videos of 2010
Top Ten Cutest Photos of 2009
I can’t for the life of me find 2008! Anyone in the comments let me know!
Top Ten Cutest Photos of 2007

Comments

1. Reliving the magic, and re-dying.

2. [gives Stat-o-meter™ a cookie to register approval]

3. Mary (the first) says:

I vote for the Stat-o-meter! Another lovely year in CO! YAY

4. Those are FANTASTIC images. We’d love to feature them in future. Maru just didn’t have the numbers this year when it comes to images, BUT wait, because the best of 2011 VIDEOS will be coming soon.

5. Can’t wait :D

I vote for http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qygukf6WNo
    because it includes box sliding action :D

6. You make me happy when I am sad, CO, keep them coming submitters!

7. so many precious memories! Dearest Cuteoverlords, dearest Commenters, please accept my warmest, suggliest thanks for all the joy You bring to my life. Have a great New Year! (3 hours to midnight here in Poland)

8. kibblenibble says:

I love them all, along with all the others that didn’t make top 10. Thanks for all the Qte and laughter all year. CO is the best!

9. Happy New Year, everypeeps! Let’s Dance!

10. JohnnyJohnny says:

Laughing REAL hard here. OMG, he is so funny!

11. THANK YOU, Victoreia! I had forgotten we broke it up like that… I think I better consolidate…

12. The world isn’t supposed to end until 2012, but I am already killed ded by the Qte Xtreme Overload in 2011. Not fair!

13. Fird Birfle says:

aaaaaand victoreia has saved the World agin!!!

*crowd roars its approval from the stands*

14. Standing Ovation! The adorable ginger kitten and the chihuahua puppy make my heart blow up, but other than that, they are all simply adorable.

15. You make me happy when I am sad. thnx

16. I would like to wish a Happy New Year to all the CO peeps and to their furry, feathery and scaly friends, may the new year be filled with peace, love and cute!

17. Meme made the Top 10 in both 2010 and 2011. In 2007, you gave Winston a lifetime achievement award. I’m thinking that’s what you need to do with Memebon. I could always look at more pictures of Meme, but she deserves moar, as she made the lists two years in a row. And there’s nothing wrong with perhaps naming Boo to that list as well…

18. Mind definitely (maybe even definitively) blown! Now I’m no good for the rest of the year, all six hours of it.

A Happy New Year to everybody at CO, peeps, CuteOverlords and anipals alike. I can’t wait to see what next year brings in terms of Qte!

19. Happy New Year to all COers! May it be filled with prosh toe beans, boopable noses and anerable animal friends. <3 <3 <3

20. That’s a great call!

21. What a wonderful compilation of this year’s awww-inspiring and giggle-inducing posts!! I am so looking forward to another year of THE BESTEST BLOG ON THE INTERNETS!!!

I don’t know how I could get along without the genius of Meg, NTMTOM, Pyrit, Sharpy, the peeps, ……(I’ll stop now, as it’s starting to sound like an awards acceptance speech).

Thanks for all the great laughs, snorts and giggles CO! A happy, safe and awesome 2012 to all.

22. Re: #10 The goose – “sometimes it looks like he “marches” more than he walks. ”

That’s why they call it “goosestepping”!. Obviously he is a very proper gander.

23. *curtsies* *blushes* *curtsies again* *GIANT HOOK DRAGS VICTOREIA OFF STAGE*

24. Don’t worry, we’ll haul out the Hello Kitty defibrathingymajig, and revive you in no time!

25. Imagining exit something like this:

26. Fine retrospective… though I’m pretty sure Meme Bon was 2010…? ‘Cause them’s all *my* hovertexts, and I haven’t been Teh Mod for a goodly while now. Still: CLASSIC. No actual complaints. :D

27. Reviewing the Cute for 2011 with a kitteh in my lap – what could be better??
    Thanks CO and peeps!
    A joyful new year to you all!

28. CarolAT & Kitties says:

I haven’t commented before, but I just wanted to say that you Overloaders have helped me get through a rough 2011. Happy New Year to you all!

29. baby birdie says:

You people are really silly! (That was a compliment.) ;)

30. Le HAW!

31. I don’t know how you can pick only 10 best!!!! It would defeat me! Here’s to more redonk, snorgles, giggles, snortlaffs and cute-induced euphoria in 2012!!! Long live the Qte!

32. a Boo T call? *runs away shame-faced*

33. Moderation! On almost New Year’s eve! Lemme at the champagne! Any hors de vors here? The smoked oysters go great with the bubbly and I’ll have me some of those great addictive cheesestraws,too. Anybody care to join me? Fird? Did you bring the hats and the horns? Mebbe we can go sloth-hunting after we get sloshed! Cheers!!

34. Queen of Dork says:

Okay. You’re trying to kill me with the cute. ‘kay. I really, really like the ferret who seems to be saying, “gack.” And I also adore the Basset Hound who looks like, GLOORRK! GLOBBER! GLOOOG AND GLAAAAAHHHHHHH!!

35. Queen of Dork says:

Theresa? You just ROCKED my world! :)

36. Queen of Dork says:

IF this will embed, please wait for that ad to go by and LET’S DANCE!! Happy New Year, beloved peeps!!

37. Queen of Dork says:

Oh! Cool! It worked! And it even skipped the ad somehow. Yay!

38. Queen of Dork says:

I just can’t help it. I’m in love with that last picture of the Basset Hound. He looks so crazy! His eyes are so wackadoodle. His ears are so long. His nose looks as though it’s about to FLY off his face whether or not he wants it to. And the whole time he looks like, “dirt and gravel! I’m eating dirt and gravel!” *SNORF!*

39. No no no!!! The kitten and the puppy and Memebon should have been Nos. 1 and 2!!!

This is all wrong! :O

40. Tell me about it! Without CO I probably would have had a miserable year 2011. :D

41. Fird Birfle says:

*tosses confetti & glitter* :)

42. Fird Birfle says:

@ victoreia: excellent blushing tactic, ma’am !!! :)

43. Happy New Year, Queenie, and all. :D

44. As I’ve said before, Memebon (#8) looks like Russell Crowe!

45. Yay, Fird! I knew you’d come through with glitter, pompoms and the like. Happy New Year!

46. Carla Oliveira says:

Omg!! What?!? Where is teddy?!?!

47. I think we have the first catchphrase of 2012. :P

48. But the sandals are made by Tevya. They’re actually for dancing in productions of Fiddler on the Roof. :P

49. The pug in pug slippers thanks you for the honor!

50. Fird Birfle says:

under the video list, which is separate :)

51. Fird Birfle says:

which one? all of it??? ;)

52. Fird Birfle says:

I believe I agree, Bx2 !!!

53. Fird Birfle says:

Like theeees????

54. The piglet should be #1!

55. David Bowie is bollocks

56. This was all too cute! Loved every one. Will be sending it to sis so her kids can enjoy. I know they’ll get a kick out of it!

57. just a look like an artificial………beautifull…….

58. Too cute, I need more cuteness for 2012!

59. that animals were so cute and so beautiful

60. Charlotte says:

Agreeing compleatly : )

61. I LOVE the goofy-faced running blood hound! absolutely Hysterical!

62. THAT’S what I’m saying! (Memebon, pug in pug slippers, panda, etc… all really adorable “seconds” but that piglet makes me want to stop at NOTHING to find that adorable piggie and nuzzle with it for hours on end!)

63. No one noticed the copright 2010 watermark on #1? Jeez Louise… You got to be kitten me ;-)

64. Anneke (Mudhooks) says:

Re: Goose shoes

Shoes for geese are nothing new. According to a book I was reading on the history of London, when geese were brought into London prior to Christmas (goose was the preferred Christmas meal), they came in “on the hoof”, being led in from the surrounding countryside. To prevent wear and tear on their feet, they wore little pairs of shoes. Hence the term “To shoe a goose”

“Unsurprisingly, it all began with geese! Thousands of them were herded into The Market Square each year to be sold for the feast of St. Matthew. Some were walked from Lincoln and Norfolk, more than a hundred miles away, their feet coated in tar and sand as make-shift shoes.” http://www.deejay.mistral.co.uk/goose_fair.html

“But the drovers had another way of keeping the livestock in good shape, for many of the animals in the long procession were fitted with specially made shoes ! The cattle were shooed for the journey, often on the forefeet only, and blacksmiths accompanied the Drovers on the journey – they were needed to replace worn out or loose shoes. It was not only cattle herded this way but also sheep, pigs and geese. They were shooed as well, pigs got woolen socks with a leather sole, Even the geese had protection for their feet. This was done by driving them through a mixture of soft tar and sand , which would form a very hard-wearing coating when it set. Sometimes they also had a metal foot set into the tar like very short stilts.” http://www.kennel-benfro.net/drovers.html

65. Anneke (Mudhooks) says:

Giles introduced me to an ancient Reynard the Fox ditty:

“It’s easier to revive a corpse
    Robbed from a hangman’s noose
    Than to stoop with iron nails
    And shoe your grandma’s goose.

Bend your back, you farrier,
    The goose foot on your knee,
    And watch the locals gather round
    And chortle for to see.

It’s easier to make sure a tooth
    That’s grey and hanging loose
    Than to stoop with iron nails
    And shoe your grandma’s goose.

And if the goose should give a honk
    As you are a-nailing
    You’ll never make a goose’s smith –
    ‘Tis a sign that you are failing.

You’ll tear your hair out, feathers fly,
    It won’t be any use,
    For I’d rather shoe my grandma
    Than shoe my grandma’s goose.”

66. OMG, check out the 2012 Volkswagen teaser for their Super Bowl ad — http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ntDYjS0Y3w&feature=youtu.be Wait for the last couple seconds and you’ll see why I’m posting it here!