Ten Most Popular Posts of 2009

As determined purely by page views, we give you the most popular Cute Overload posts of 2009. [Oscar orchestra starting] Here we go!

Coming in at # 10: The New Face of Disapproval

I never thought I’d see a pup out-do a bunny in the disapproval depahtment, but it happened on May 6 of this year. Mai N. sent in “Pancake” the new face of DISAPPROVAL. Bunnies everywhere need to step up their game.

100_3510

Scale of Disapproval: 5 out of 5

9th most popular post this year was: Waffles

On May 31, 2009 we met Waffles the kitteh. Waffles was photographed by LOL, Wary Meyers and sent in by some hooligan named Bling Blong. Waffles was your typical kitteh until he suddenly he crossed paths…

beesting

With a bee!

ooof

At #8: The Squirrel Bomb

We will always remember August 10, the day a squirrelio photobombed this nice couple’s vacation. We’ll never forget the Squirrelizer meme that was born. Photo was by Melissa B. who was featured on National Geographic Daily Dozen. Sent in by Tracy B. and Marilyn T. from National Geographic Intelligent Traveler.

ground_squirrel

#7: The World’s Most Inefficient Water Drinker

The day before The Day Without Cats, Arlo R. and three million other people sent us this kitteh unclear on the concept:

#6: Why is My Lunch Eating My Lunch?

In an amazing series of photos over on Mail Online., a fearless rat stared down a mighty leopard—and the leopard blinked. While the puzzled cat sniffed and watched, the rat helped itself to the leopard’s steak dinner. Sent in by John L.

image001

image003

COXCU 2

Coming in hot at #5: Nobody understands Emo Bun

On June 18, Stephanie N. took a minute from cutting herself to send us this awesome shot, an emotional bunneh:

Emo Bun is going to put on his skinny jeans and play guitar in the garage.

Emo Bun doesn’t expect you fascists to understand his art.

Emo Bun is destined to travel through the misty and cold fog of existence alone and cold.

Life is hard for Emo Bun.

All Emo Bun has is his poetry.

Coming in at #4: Scratch scratch scratch, Surprise!

Sent in by Jorden C. on November 29, this one went to all the siblings out there that torture each other. “Why are you hitting yourself!? Why are you hitting yourself!?”

#3 The Happiest Tortoises on the Planet

On August 21, these mashed-potato-strawberry-chomping torti took the audience to their happy nomming place (H.N.P.). Mashed potato photo by Iona B., Sent in by Benjamin C.

A strawberry?  MY FAVORITE!!

RASPERRIES??!!?!!  MY FAVORITE!!!!1!!!!!1!

#2: Obvy created by Japanese scientiiiists [singsong]

On August 12, Mary N. sent in these little Pikachu dudes, called “モモンガ” (Momonga). Obviously these ani-pals were meticulously crafted in the Secret Mt. Fuji Lab of Japanese Cuteness:

Momonga

And coming in at #1, with 284,339 views [wiping brow]: Kittehs can sleep ANYWHERE.

On June 10, Uncle Wire submitted proof that kittehs can sleep anywhere they puh-lease.

Cat_Sleeping_TrainSleeping CatDownloadedFile-12
DownloadedFile-1
DownloadedFile
DownloadedFile-8
DownloadedFile-10DownloadedFile-7DownloadedFile-4

Honorable Men-shons

- The Glossary page, had it been a post, would have come in at #2

- The Sub-mee-shons pages at #6

One More Thing…

Comments

1. Too moishe!!!

2. The surprised kitten has got to be my LIFE favourite! :D

3. Mew Mew Mew I has cute says:

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!!!!!!!!!! -cheers for posts- ykwim

4. Queen of Dork says:

Okay, Meg. Now you’re just purposely trying to kill us with cuteness. I myself especially love the picture of the kitty wrapped around the house plant. But they’re all cute! Meg, thank you very much for starting this site. It has seriously cheered many a gloomy day for me and I’m sure, many others! All of you at the CO staff are interesting and strange people with twisted sences of humor that I really love, appreciate and thoroughly enjoy!!! Thank you!!

5. Bravo! The BESTEST end-of-year list evar!

6. This list is based pure-leh on page views… I think we may need to do another list on pure cute… Thoughts? Requests?

7. Gotta be one of the HUMAN BABY POSTS!!! Buhahahahaaaa :twisted:

8. AuntieMame says:

I thought the top five were gonna be OMG IT’S A FILTHY DISGUSTING HUMAN BABY GETITOFFMYSCREEN!!1!!111ELEVEN!!!1

9. kibblenibble says:

This made me remember Turtle Girl…Hope you are well, Turtle Girl! :-)

10. All you CO peeps rock…this is a great list…(I have to say the Squirrel photobomb is my fav)…thanks for being the weirdly humourously twisted people you are and for keeping CO going for the Best of the Web!

11. Not That Mike The Other Mike says:

@kibblenibble: Just saw her over the holidays, and she’s very well indeed. Long since out of the turtle cast and functioning quite normally.

12. Queen of Dork says:

Meg: One of my personal favorites is the time you wrote a song to the tune of Queen. It was about a little fawn in the woods and you did this lyric that included the fabulous, “leaves in his face, talio eglaise” Or something like that! That was one of my favorites!!

13. Queen of Dork says:

oops! I’m so betting that post wasn’t done in 2009! Sorry about that! But I still really like that one.

14. dr. berthaservant says:

Thanks Meg!!! These are awesome!!! I agree we should do one of top 10 cute (as determined by the cuteologists in charge), but we also of course need one for top 10 commentroversies!

15. kibblenibble says:

NOMTOM: That’s great news! Thanks for the update! :-)

16. To the COverlords:
    A click on CO and my brain blisses out like your friendly neighbourhood slow loris . . . harumph, in a dignified, intellecktual way.
    Thanks, and Happppy New Year!

17. H.N.P….? ROTFL! Luvs it!

18. @NTMTOM — SOOO glad to hear that Turtle Girl is doing well! What a relief.

Meg and Co. thanks a million for another great year over here at CO!!! You guys are the best.

19. OMG that lori tickle is amazing! I don’t see a link to the original post – any back story?

20. absolutely adorable choices

21. That inefficient water-drinking kitty is my favourite, so glad it made the list. :D

22. I love the Turtles eating things… Cah-yute!

~Dan

23. (Parrot voice) “PEEEEEEEEEEEEK-a-boo! You’re so CUTE!”

24. Each one a cause for celebration!
    Thank you, Meg and crew, thank you.

25. This site makes my life much more beautiful and full of joy!
    Cuteful selection!

26. PS
    I’d like to hear Meg and Ed.s’s personal top twenty pics; then their bottom ten ‘I can’t believe they nuffed about *this*’ posts.

20 and 10? As in, 2010? Geddit? Like the year?

Meanwhile, Waffles, Emo-bun and I’ll be grooving to the cool jazz of the water-drinking kitteh.

27. Andi from NC says:

Emo Bun rules!!!

It was so fun looking at the top 10 – I remember when all of them (Pancake the disapproving dog sent me back into hysterics one again)

With laughs like this 2010 is going to be a great year

Peace, love, and cuteness
    Andrea

28. resriechan says:

(in a whiney, annoying, pesky voice, please:)

“But whut about the kitty who’s annoyed & says “I am”????”

(Pouting powerfully)

29. Ah, yes–the sleeping kitties, the slow loris, the surprised kitty–all some of my favorites. And poor orange-eyed Waffles–I hope he’s all better and has learned to leave the bees alone.

P. S. You know, if that slow loris video ended at the 00:41 mark, it would be The Saddest Thing in the World.

30. Jess&Friends says:

I wonder how many people this past year have exploded due to complete cute overload? We should keep count this year.

31. OMG people, look at the other
    videos
    of the slow loris… she´s soooo cute! I want one of those.

By the way, it’s really hard to pick the cutest post of the year… but i guess i would vote either on the poor kitten with the swollen paw, surprised kitten or the photobomb.

32. Fantastic cutes… although at the beginning of the countdown I was beginning to worry we just had a fetish for animals named after breakfast foods. I absolutely loved all of them, but the slow loris… OMG, that is some painful cutes! I imitate his arm raise when I am happy.

33. ButtaRumCake says:

I’m surprised the nuffers haven’t jumped on #7 (omgcatsarentsupposedtobeanywhereNEARwaterwhatkindofpeopleDOthistotheircats? *breath* Theyshouldbedraggedthroughthestreetsstrippedandbeatentowithinaninchoftheircathatinglives)

34. Like Theo I was SURE one of the baby posts — especially the one of da wittle babeh dwessed up as a wittle lamb — was going to be in the Cute Overload Top 10 if not #1. (Maybe that one with the kid in the lamb suit didn’t get the most page views but it had to have gotten the most comments, yes, Meg?)

Also history repeats itself with the tortoise beating the hare. (Really, people, you think a tortoise eating stuff is cuter than bunnehs? Really?)

Though I cannot argue with sleeping kittehs, especially when they are sleeping on my lap. ;)

35. this is so cute!!!!!!!!!!!!! i love it

36. One more thing: I loves watching slow loris loving getting tickled, though it’s a little creepy, no?

37. Well, surely it’s impossible to choose, but if someone put a hamster to my head and made me pick one, I’d have to go with hydrophilic kitteh. So cute and clueless at the same time.

Viva al* Qte!

* Spanish for “teh”

38. Once I was brave enough to scroll past Pancake’s disapproving glare, I laughed my way through the rest. Thank you CO staff and CO peeps, with a special shout out to our resident punmasters who always make me smile.

39. No Pa-sickie ?
    Or am I a year behind (again)

40. A little surprised that the halloween costumes didn’t make it – every time we reach for the ipod touch we have, all I can think/say is “Slide to Unlock! Slide to unlock!!”

41. My husband and I still play this game where we stick our fists up in the air and say “WHO AM I?” and the other one answers “SLOW LORIS!”

42. Queen of Dork says:

For me, the best is a toss up between the nom, nom, nomulatious turtle or the inefficient water drinking cat.

43. I’m still relatively new to CO so I’m seeing some of these for the first time. The Squirrel Bomb is my own personal favorite but Pancake is a close second. He makes me feel like confessing… to something, anything. I’m sorry I did whatever I did and I won’t do it again.

Thank you to the entire CO team, as well as the sender inners and the commenters. And special thanks to Al Gore, as surely this is what the interwebs were invented for. :D

44. Queen of Dork says:

Okay. I just watched it again. Inefficient Water Drinker has it for me!!

45. Hooray – Waffles made it!

46. Queen of Dork says:

Peeps, I know I talk alot about my cat but here’s one more story and then I’ll stop. I just got out of the shower and was sitting there happily applying lotion to my skin. I looked over at my cat and he was laying there staring at me with this expression on his face that was like, “what in the hell are you doing?” It was totally hilarious! I just burst out laughing!

47. I miss the end-of-the-year polls, like “Best Commentroversy”.

[Oh dear. Oh dear oh dear oh dear. Also, my my. 8O - Ed.]

48. If the surprised kitty isn’t the cutest post I’ve ever seen, I don’t know what is. With that said, all the other ones are stellar, except for the doggone turtles. They’re very happy though. The new video of the slow loris is anerable!

49. My favorite post is by far Emo Bun. :D

50. I actually made a mewling sound at number 2!! *squeeeee*

51. They look like they feel soooooooo soft. Like pettin’ them must feel like being breathed on…

52. Queen of Dork says:

I totally love the turtle! Especially the last shot where he’s all, *OM (ehhnn) NOM. NOMNOMNOM! (strawberry! ummmm. yum) NOM. NOMITYNOMNESS!* And then you can see a bit of his little turtle tongue.

53. Queen of Dork says:

Also, his foot is grasping a grass blade!

54. Queen of Dork says:

I. must. go. to. my. H.N.P (full). *zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz*

55. Please protect the slow lori in his natural environment.

56. Thank you for 365 days of happiness!

57. L. Stevenson says:

I usually hate those best and worst of the year roundups, but I make an exception with this one. Can’t wait for more cutest of the cute in 2010!

58. kittensnotkids says:

I am shocked – shocked! – that neither Maru nor Winston were in the top 10 (and that those turtles *were*).

Surprised Kitty wins for me (out of this selection), though I admit that the Slow Loris has a very special place in my heart. I see that image of the Slow Loris (and hear that weird guy going WooooOOOOOoooooOOO) in my head all the time.

59. Did this page just turn ORANGE, or am i still hung over?

60. 5^^now8ing says:

I’m with Barbarella – the surprised kitten could be my life favorite, too!

And yeah, it’d be fun to see staff’s favorites!

And I ordered my CO calendars today (both of them). Can’t really blame the fam for not getting one for Christmas, because we agreed not to exchange gifts this year, but I’ll be d***ed if I’m going without my CO calendars!!

Thanks always to Meg & Co. for the daily therapy, love to all commenterpeeps, and happy new year!

61. AWW :D Surprised Kitty should of gotten top spot :D

62. Inificient water drinking cat is the bestest.

63. What??!!! The Slow Loris only got Honorable Men-shons? It’s my favorite post of all time!!! Also the comments on the original post. I admit there is a certain amount of cuteness in the other posts, but nothing can beat the Slow Loris. Really, now.

64. The Emo Bun entry is missing a link; it’s the only entry without any link outside this particular entry of any kind.

I was hoping to remind myself what sort of comments/drollery accompanied the original posting (#5 and #6 also share this). Please correct? :)

65. Cute stuff! My favorite is the drinking cat video, it’s just so adorable!!

66. One could put the rules of cuteness to the test by finding images exhibiting the most multiple Cuteologist-determined Qte factors.

67. Queen of Dork, you must never… EVER… stop talking about your kitteh. Perish the thought! The more cute kitteh stories in life, the better.

And I need to change my vote – slow loris is the absolute bestest vid ever shown anywhere. Second is inefficient kitteh. Lubs them both so much! <3

68. Queen of Dork says:

Awwwwww. Thanks Rachael! He really is a sweet boy and I love him soooo much! Currently, I have yarn all over the floor because I guess he wound his ball of yarn all over the place while I was asleep last night.

69. resriechan says:

Actually, I feel a strong but respectful disagreement w/ all the Loris peeps…I do think he’s pretty silly & clever but it just doesn’t raise to the upper echelon of things on CO that busted my brain. Normally, I would choose the kittycat sound asleep splayed across the tire of a potentially moving vehicle ……….

but I gotta go with #10, the disapproving dog. Maybe it’s ‘cuz I come from a Military Family and a Catholic upbringing; but he looks like every flatfoot enlistee’s WORST NIGHTMARE of a Drill Sergeant, to moi. ………………….

70. Von Zeppelin says:

Excellent choices, all. Happy New Year, folks!

71. TrixandSam says:

Surprised Kitty vid is my favorite from this year, though on a different day, I might go with Pancake. Such disapproval reminds me of the Nuns who taught me in grade school. (Resriechan, I can SO relate about the Catholic upbringing….)

72. Indeed, that is a great list of very cute posts. They are all favorites, but Emo Bun makes me LOL every time. ♥ Happy New Year!

73. Queen of Dork says:

Oh crap. I just watched Slow Loris. I don’t know which of these selections is cutest. They’re all adorable.

74. And with yet another cutting joke, I am done coming to this site.

75. I can’t accept that slow loris didn’t win. I myself clicked on that one at least 42,000 times, from at least 16,000 computers.

76. THANK YOU CO! I love the list! I lol all over again.

My personal favorites: squirrel photobomb and leopard & his rat.

77. What are the odds that we can get a Pancake update?? I’m really curious about whether he ever grew into his face…

78. Thanks CO for another Year of cuteness. My favorite is of course the aqua Kitty and his heroic attempts to save us from the water LOL.. still makes me laugh when I think about him.
    and of course Waffles who is adorable and pitiful by turns, you just want to pick him up and cuddle him.

and who could not but notice the beautiful cat Zen of the kitty sleeping around the amaryllis, making a perfect O

79. kibblenibble says:

I’m with you, Hon Glad, it’s inefficient water drinking kitteh FTW. No matter how many times I watch that, it still makes me laugh.

80. crazycurlygirl says:

Thank you for another year of cuteness CO. I have my page a day and wall calendars ready to take to work tomorrow. :)

81. I must have missed Inefficient Water Drinking Cat during the year.
    That is some lol-inducing anerableness right there.

82. Awe I love all these photos and videos, I need to send in mine too! I love animals, they r so unique and unpredictable!

83. Last night I dreamed I had a pet octopus. I really suspect CO is to blame for that. ;)

84. Queen of Dork says:

Theresa: CO may have something to do with that. What was its name? In the dream I mean.

85. these are all so cute!!!
    the loris’ cuteness almost makes up for the fact that it was probably smuggled illegally after being snatched from its native habitat…almost…

86. I personally have an inefficient water-drinking kitty (an Abyssinian) and she so loves playing -in and with -water. It’s quite remarkable, and it’s not at all impossible. So funny. Thank you for this list and for this wonderful site. You always make my day! Happy New Year, peeps!

My fave was surprised kitty!

87. Aww I love all the kitten ones! Love the surprised kitten watch it way too many times!!

88. My, my! Numbers 6 and 3 are fantabulous!
    Gosh, should I replace my future goldfish with a tortoise and a plush leopard? :D

89. Too much cuteness in one go … the squirrel bomb, slow loris, sleeping kittens (though the one on the tyre was a heart starter). My cat just sleeps on the lounge. All day.

Myy fave was the drinking water cat and who could forget the leopard and mouse. But then my dogs share a wading pool with a frog.

90. @Resriechan, Catholic AND Military? Whoa. My dad was an altarboy, and for him, it was like Catholic WAS military. ;)

91. Wow. This may be my new favorite site. :-D The happiest place on earth…surly worth a visit in the morning over coffee. yay! xoxo -m

92. That was super cute. I especially liked the turtle shots.

I don’t think that’s a squirrel tho – looks like a chipmunk.
    Chipmunks do that you know: beg for food at national parks and such.
    Squirrels in the wild would never be caught that close to humans or their things.

93. That’s my baby boy Pancake coming in at #10! To clarify, he is an English Bulldog and he still looks pissed thanks to his fore-wrinkles. Check out more pics of him here: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=40997&id=531359256&l=96b6d7259d

Thanks cuteoverload.com! This picture has made it’s round on the Internet :)

94. kokobutterbuns says:

THE SQUIRREL PHOTOBOMB!!!

95. Love, love, love this site, I check it throughout the day, always guaranteed to bring a smile to my face. Honestly, some of the pics are so damn cute, they almost make me cry. Thanks for all of your efforts, they are very much appreciated. Personally, the baby sloths were in the too pwecious for words category, always love the sloths and pandas too. My fav on the Top Ten is the kitty under the faucet, too funny.

96. Startle Kitteh would have run away with #1 if you counted even a fraction of the hits on the 98,234,895 other web sites that posted it.

97. I feel so proud my submission got posted… like a Cutoverload superstar!

Seriously though, have watched this video 2 bajillion times.

98. LOL. i really like the emo bun. its soo cute! <3

99. HAAA………I laughed so hard at the Squirrel Bomb!….If I were there couple that picture would be framed on my wall !

100. kookienoonie says:

I would comment but I cannot as my head just exploded.

101. Hi to the owner of the video cat shower 2.
    We are a group of RN’s watching today
    during break.
    One of our anesthesia docs commented he
    is sure this cat should be tested for
    diabetes.
    We now have a bet….thanks

102. i’m very surprised that the video with the french bulldog from japan who kept rolling around on its back didn’t break the top 10.

103. cute :D:D:D:P

104. :D :P

105. lol i love animals i had 2 pets and i love games about pets

106. sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo cute

107. My favorite in terms of pure unadulterated cuteness? Would definitely have to be the kitten who got eaten by a couch. Without waking up.

108. Thank you for all of these. I don’t have a lot of computer time, but I treat myself to a little CO every week and it adds so much joy to my life… Honestly!

(Really hoping you’ll feature some Honduran white bats sometime, though!)

109. AnotherMEG says:

My absolute favorite was Dude and 3 Pets!

110. The existence of this website gives me hope for the future of mankind. Also, my two year-old requests daily that we watch “the kitty cat on the stairs” which I have bookmarked (June, page seven). Thank you so much for this site!

111. soo awesome! An epic year for cute overload!

112. Although this post was obviously cute, the cutting joke was not, and completely unfunny.

113. all so very cute.

114. AWW THEIR ALL SO CUTE!!!!

115. I for one got a lot of enjoyment out of the squirrelizer…did several of my own and enjoyed some that others did. The squirrelizer is in hibernation for the winter and I for one hope he comes back out in the spring.

I noticed that cats were highly represented in the top 10!!! Where are the doggies? Maybe next year…. ;-)

116. Aly is right. they r so CUTE!!!!!

117. so is edward!!!

118. fauna flora says:

my tortoise can do better than that! Calamatta has skilz, you havn’t seen reptile cute yet.