Some Things You Never Grow Too Old For

When I was just a baby, I loved crawling into my drawer.

I grew larger, but the drawer stayed the same size.

Oh, but that does not stop me from enjoying my drawer, or reliving my youth.

Morris the Welsh Corgi Pembroke has perfectly demonstrated the key to staying young – never act old. You’re a lucky guy, Paul S.

Comments

1. With all these puppehs and buns in boxes lately it’s clear the contagion has spread into a pandemic. Boxflu- protect yourself and your loved ones.

2. Mary (the first) says:

He’s been watching too much Maru!!

3. victoreia says:

“This thing shrunk!”

4. skippymom says:

So, at what age do a corgi’s ears go from floppy to stickyuppy?
    p.s. I wonder whether this post might bring Katrina out of hiding….

5. Simply adorable! Yay for Morris for getting himself in there.

I too am wondering when Corgi ears stand up. Can someone fill me and skippymom in on this, please? Inquiring minds want to know…

6. Once a Fish says:

That’s exactly what I was thinking! Get inoculated now! But don’t worry– these kinds of shots don’t hurt! (Takes corgi-puppy, taps it into upper arm several times)

7. skippymom says:

Hi, Berg! How are things?

8. Rachael says:

“Who shrunk my drawer?!”

9. In early spring.

10. Better now that I’m finally getting over this icky and incredibly tenacious cold. Howsa bout with you?

11. skippymom says:

Pretty good lately. Skippy seems to be getting over his super-runny-poo after a week of medication, so things are looking up.
    I’m glad you feel better.

12. sleekityin says:

His drawers must have shrunk in the wash.

13. mindadale says:

Not sure that puppeh looks too happy about being in that drawer in either picture (though, he does look too cute!)…

14. Looks like a great way to keep your puppehs organized.

15. Dorothy says:

It looks like about 10-12 weeks is “normal”, but anywhere between 8 and 14 weeks is fairly common:

I’ve heard people talk about the ear-pop stage like the turkey-timer: when the ears pop out, it’s done.

16. Must be contagious – I’ve got one getting probiotics due to runny-poo. She’s doing better too!

17. I would not have even known that was a corgi pup!

And – faint eyebrow dots! – kind of like eyebrow shadows! :)

18. skippymom says:

Aw, I’m sorry if Skippy made yours sick! The doctor told me to isolate him, but come on, we’re talking about Skippy here.

19. Damn, there I go wanting a Corgi again.

STOP that! BAD cat person!

20. We had one with runny poo, too! No fun at all. Luckily ours (Basil) also seems to be better, but he was quite an unhappy fellow there for a couple of days.

21. Nah, pretty sure Patches didn’t catch it from Skippy – she had dental surgery about 3 wks ago, and it was either the stress or the antibiotic, or a combination of the two. In fact, it was your comment about Skippy, about not letting it go too long, that finally made me take her in. She’s exTREMEly high stress (was a feral kitten), and taking her to the vet is a total freak-out for her, so I kep thinking (wishfully) that it would clear up on its own…

22. Yeah, confirmed cat person here too, but there is something so darn cute about corgis!

23. CORGI! CORGI! Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwww….

24. Ali-Baba says:

*snerk :-)

25. elfdancer says:

All the anipals in boxes lately…

26. EEK! Just noticed tiny muzzle flap caught on drawer. *thud*

27. :mrgreen:

28. skippymom says:

Maybe when Skippy, Basil and Patches are all better, they could get together for a play date.

29. LOL. It reminds me of the photos I have of my mom’s bullmastiff when he was a puppy in our laps, and then when he played lapdog as an adult!

30. Yes! What kind of puppehs are in the other drawers?

31. fleurdamour says:

Is he filed under “S” for stubbular, or “E” for ears?

32. fleurdamour says:

Matched symmetrically by the teeny tiny tailio.

33. PING! Puppeh earsies ready for snorgling! Form an orderly q… behind me :)

34. victoreia says:

Whew! That I was the only one doin’ that!

35. victoreia says:

“I still fit! Mostly.” Is that like being only mostly ded, not all ded?

36. I’m not totally convinced that pic #2 isn’t an entirely different doggie. Doesn’t hurt the cute though!!

37. Fird Birfle says:

Them Dang File Drawers!!! Defective !!!

38. Oceanview says:

Probably same person who shrunk my clothes from university days.

39. Martha in Washington says:

Has the universe shifted? An anipal that is cuter as an adult than as a babeh? Didn’t think that was possible!!

40. ZeppthePug says:

Sometimes the “erect eared” breeds (here’s hoping I don’t get stuck in moderation for that) need a little help getting those suckers up. When my mom’s Boston Terrier’s ears didn’t pop, it was suggested by a breeder that she tape Popsicle sticks to the Boston’s earsies. She did not, however, feel that was entirely necessary. :)

41. ZeppthePug says:

Gah! Moderation! Where are the strawberry daiquiris?

42. It’s the sockins and the earses.

43. using popsicle sticks to form erections is definitely not an approved form of amusement here at CO. we like to sharpen them and use them as shivs. i hope you enjoyed your stay in the Mod Lounge nonetheless.

44. how many would you like?

45. Please to give me some wipes. My brain has asploded from teh qte.

46. Katherine says:

aw I have that same exact drawer thing but no puppy :(

47. A Pembroke corgi with a tail! Yay! Tail docking sucks!

48. Rachael says:

I must be incredibly naive but I’ve always assumed the stubby tail was natural. Why are long tails acceptable on the Cardigans but not on the Pembrokes? *confuzzled*

49. Paul s. says:

It is all the same dog!

50. villagioverde says:

A Pembroke needs a tail! He need it for body language.

51. The earses are redonkulous, as is the overall stubbularness.

Fave line from the Wikipedia entry on corgis: “Welsh folklore says the corgi is the preferred mount of fairy warriors.”

52. IKEA 4 LIFE!!! I like my Helmer as well, but I never slept in it

53. ZeppthePug says:

You sharpen your… Oh, right. The Popsicle sticks. (If I knew how to do the embarrassed emoticon, I would).

And, to answer your question, all the strawberry daiquiris. All of them.

54. glitchbaby says:

This looks an awful lot like a Cardigan WC to me. Rounded ears, large paws, tail. Pems look quite different and are born without tails, they aren’t docked.

And for those who want a corgi … yes indeed, they are teh qte! But also teh barkers! Holy cow, do those dogs love to bark. Be ye warned.

55. Laurie V says:

Pembroke Corgis are born without tails, THEY ARE NOT DOCKED. Cardigans are born with tails and they’re tails are not docked.

56. Laurie V says:

That should be “their”. Sorry.

57. Some pups just look sad all the time. There was a recent post about this.

58. Docking is illegal in Europe and Australia (and maybe elsewhere?), and all corgis are born with a tail. There seems to be a myth in the US that many Pembrokes are born without one. I have no idea why Pembrokes’ tails are docked and Cardis’ tails aren’t. Some say tails were originally docked so that sheep (or was it cows?) would not stamp them, but Cardis are the ones that are still used in herding, so there’s no real logic there.

The tail is really important for communication. Other dogs may find it hard to “understand” a dog without a tail. Plus Pemmies have corgeous tails!

59. And it must be really painful to have your tail docked! It’s a silly hooman invention.

60. just as long as they aren’t barking up the wrong tree!

61. *phew!* you barely escaped that one!

62. and oh, the satisfaction i feel when i see the correctly punctuated “Popsicle.” that’s nice. i’ll have a Dreamtini to celebrate.

63. True, he/she might well be a Cardi. As for the tail, this is what Wikipedia says:

“Historically, the Pembroke was a breed with a natural bob tail (a very short tail), and today, if the Pembroke has a tail at all, it is usually curly. Due to the advent of tail docking in dogs, the bob tail was not aggressively pursued, with breeders focusing instead on other characteristics, and the tail artificially shortened if need be.

In Europe pretty much all Pembrokes seem to be born with a tail. I wonder if they could be so different in the US.

Anyway, corgis possess supreme cuteness powers!

64. @Odie: Actually, some Pembrokes are born without tails. I have a 2-year-old Pembroke and it’s quite obvious that she was born without a tail–her “nubbin” is much too short to have been docked. Some U.S. breeders still breed for the no-tail trait, just not a ton since docking is still legal here.

65. villagioverde says:

Her in Holland it is illegal by law to cut of the tail. And I completely agree with that. Anyhow, from one nest you can have puppies with, or without the tail. I prefer the pups with tail, just because of the dogs body language.
    This Pembroke is Morris! Unfortunately he died at the age of 18 months because of a cork he eat. We still miss him.