Rufus The Trick Or Treating Raccoon

Rufus has NOT met a treat he did not like. This video is c/o Matt C., the man genius behind Jurabbit Park. He explains:

“My family puts food out for a stray cat in the neighborhood. One night, that caught the attention of a curious snack bandit, who came up and poked around. I decided to try and make friends. It took three weeks for Rufus to trust me enough to eat from my hand. As I posted these videos throughout the summer, I couldn’t go a day without someone asking when he was going to rip my face off. ‘He’s not going to know how to forage like a wild animal.’ ‘You’re gonna give him diabetes.’ Everyone had an opinion. [*Note: Really. -Ed.]

But, it’s possible to maintain respect for a living creature while building an unconventional bond based on the occasional helping of sweets. And that’s what I did with Rufus. By the end of the video, you’ll see that, not only is Rufus healthy and prepped for winter, he’s still a wild raccoon. He just happens to know a human with a solid treat hookup. He’s a wonderful creature, and a friend I’m lucky to have made.”

Advertisements

Comments

1. Trash panda! That wern’t no trash! That critter had sushi and tacos! Omg the party at the end…

2. Adorable! Love the grabby hands.

3. Copperbat says:

Meh. While I love raccoons, I really hate this video for so many reasons.

4. North America’s answer to monkeys. But that did seem a bit heavy on the junk food. More eggs and raisins, fewer Twinkies. Was that a crayfish? Good natural-food choice for coons.

5. If even raccoons won’t eat kale, why do we eat it?

6. Love the cute. But so, so, so many reasons to dislike this video. Never feed the wild animals, peeps. This is not a kindness.

7. Just want to point out that what he is feeding them is exactly what they eat from trash in the confines of the city with the addition of birds, bird eggs, roadkill , fruit from trees and raid veggie gardens if any are around. No it isn’t ideal but it is how they have adapted to our invasion of their habitat.

8. All I could think during the whole thing was: rabies vector! And I love Raccoons, from a distance.

9. Gigi_the cat lady says:

Don’t listen to the nuffers man, keep on keeping on.

10. agreed, aj. They’re scavengers. But really, who throws away a twinkie? It’s not like they go bad…

11. The Original Jane says:

Oh wow. Agree with Copperbat. So glad I’m not this guys neighbor.

12. 6ToedCatsRule says:

Bruce Willis wants you on his team

13. Oh the brain freeze from the big ice cream cone bite!! I dunno why everyone else is upset, I’d love to be friends with a raccoon, and that’s how it happens. Not everyone can afford to shop at Whole Foods, ya know.

14. I doubt this has much of a negative impact on the raccoons. Most raccoons aren’t hunting in a forest or catching salmon in a river – most of them are dumpster diving or stealing food from other animals. Hard to get mad at them for stealing when they have such cute wittle hands.

15. There’s a good raccoon documentary I like called “Raccoon Nation” by PBS. They eat a lot of human garbage…

16. That’s an excellent point Brouhaha!

17. Ok, now I’m curious about that stray cat. My guess is that they won’t go near this house now.

18. The Original Jane says:

I’m not at all concerned for the raccoons. They are smart as all get out and eat all sorts of garbage. This isn’t going to harm them one bit. I’m more concerned with A) the parasites and bacterial infections their feces leave behind (roundworm, giardia and leptospirosis); B) the safety of small pets in the neighborhood; and C) the damage the can do if they decide to take up living under someone’s house or in the attic.

19. CalicoAngel says:

Yeah bluefish. I was going to mention the same documentary “Raccoon Nation”. You haters will learn that city ‘coons are smarter than their country cousins. …and they are scavengers, they’ve adapted to the city life. I would give up a sushi roll to visit with this guy and his pals any day!

20. That’s a kid in a Rocket Raccoon Costume .. Darn good one too .. hehe

21. Goodness, there are raccoons all over Central Park, and they are most definitely not living on fresh-caught fish. Nor do they attack the chihuahuas and yorkies. In cities and suburbs we live close by a range of adaptive wild animals, some beloved (sqwirls), some detested (ratties). Unless they’re in your house, pooping in your cereal, there’s no need to exaggerate the dangers.

Here’s a NYC raccoon in his natural habitat: http://del.h-cdn.co/assets/15/43/1445614129-pizza-raccoon2.jpg

22. I like having suburban critters hang out in my yard (it’s a half-acre with lots of trees and shrubs). I think it’s OK to put out healthy foods for raccoons, squirrels, birds, etc. I wouldn’t try to tame them, but I’ve read many articles by people who do. Seems to depend on circumstances. My dad always said, “Moderation in all things.” I used to put snacks for raccoons at the back of the yard in a hollow place in a tree. Never see them any more; most all neighbors value neat, tidy landscaping. Lots of space for plastic toys, but don’t want to leave a corner for suburban wildlife to make their homes.

23. Fleurdamour says:

I love the taco. And the zombie horde at the end.

24. fleurdamour says:

And def a Men of CO keeper.

25. Phred's Mom says:

It’s all OK, until he snorgles one.
    No, no, no, Rocky might
    misinterpret the move and bite.

26. Just want to let people know that racoons carry a terrible disease that affects humans and your beloved pets – I love the little beasties – but you need to be especially careful handling them – my daughter worked at a wildlife sanctuary and knows first hand how careful you need to be.