Colour Their World

Terrific story here, everyone. Artist Stefan Siverud has been decorating Snail Shells for several years as part of his Snailpimp project.

Snail2
He uses safe, non-toxic paint for these designs. And they serve a purpose that’s more important than just decorative.

Snail3
The bright imagery helps them stand out so they won’t accidentally get stepped on!

Snail4

snailpimp4

Snail5

Snail6

Snail8

snailpimp2

snailpimp5

snailpimp6

snailpimp7

snailpimp8

snailpimp9
(As seen on My Modern Met and Design You Trust.)

Advertisements

Comments

1. cyberpunkrocker says:

Haha, the “★CCCP-thing-from-outer-socialist-space” is my favourite! A hilarious idea!

2. Hahaha. No he didn’t!! No problem having to chase down snail in progress or for photos. The Pac Man one is sly. The tiny house with grassy lawn is hilarious. Snails: no clue. I wonder if these snails are getting more hook ups from other snails.

3. Carmen C says:

But what about nature’s reason for a snail having its shell blend with its environment? Now these snails are visible to their predators from miles away. :-/

4. That was exactly my thought, Carmen. However, perhaps predators seeing a bright red or blue thing won’t think “snail nomnomnom” at all but, “Whoever heard of a blue snail? Let me look elsewhere.”

5. Carmen is correct. Except for perhaps the white polka-dot pattern on red, which in nature generally denotes poison, as do many other contiguously pattered bright colors, this is not at all going to help the snail. Don’t want to be a killjoy entomologist but please do not do this to snails, leave them to their natural evolutionary path.

To end this on a positive note, while you may find snails in your garden, they are much more closely related to the squid in the ocean than any other insect crawling around the greenery.

6. Great, now snails are advertising junk food, contributing to the obesity epidemic. I say repaint McDonald’s-snail with some nice vegetable shapes! 😀

7. Carmen, I hadn’t considered that. My first thought was wondering if the paint would alter air and water permeability.

8. I agree with Carmen & Robin. Humans need to leave nature alone.

9. gwenivere says:

those look cool and all but they should stay the natural color

10. Once again, man thinks he can improve upon nature.

11. Good grief!!! This guy has WAY too much time on his hands,…. Way too! If he wants to keep busy, why doesn’t he go down to the nearest no-kill shelter and help to sweep out some of the animals’ cages….. or volunteer as a foster parent for some kittehs or goggies…..!

12. On one hand, you have a point. On the other hand, to a snail that lives in an urban environment, the risk of being accidentally stepped on is probably as great or greater than being eaten by a predator, so it’s a bit of six of one, half a dozen of the other.

13. Mingles' Mommy says:

An interesting idea, but I think maybe it would have been good to make the snails and not use living ones?

14. Thehehe I love the idea!

15. grytlappar says:

As much as I don’t love dealing with snails directly, I gotta say that this feels disrespectful and not cute at all. They are living things ffs.

16. Dudes… I’m a SNAIL.

17. I admit, Im getting a kick out of these.

I’m wondering though how heavy some of those add-ons like the crown and castle are relative to the snails.

18. Mamabear says:

Lol, to criticize someone for the way they spend their time when we can’t possibly know what else they do in their lives…and doing so while killing time on this website…time that could be spent, oh say…volunteering at a shelter or fostering animals. I can’t tell if troll or hypocrite.

19. andrea levin says:

Colorful, but ultimately…troubling. I don’t know much (or anything) about how this paint affects a snail’s shell / health / viability…and would be more comfortable with a ‘concept’ that could be safely, easily and completely *removed* after the ‘ha ha’ bit is over. I agree with grytlappar: feels disrespectful, not cute. Even conceptually – it’s not that interesting, in my view.

20. NOT CUTE. See it from the snail’s perspective. Giant ape befouls your shell and home with goudy coloyrs that act like a magnet for predators. And how does he know the paints are really harmless? Moluscs rely a LOT on breathing through the skin, many things that are non toxic for other animals can hurt them. 😦