If You’ve Ever Heard Of A Rock Hyrax, Raise Yer Hand

6a010535647bf3970b01a511f08db1970c-800wiProlly not….but that’s OK! The folks at Chester Zoo have, in Upton-by-Chester, Chester, UK.

6a010535647bf3970b01a3fd40c7cc970b-800wi
They welcomed four baby Rock Hyraxes on July 20th. Get the full story on ZooBorns.

6a010535647bf3970b01a73dfbc42b970d-800wi

Comments

1. Tongue-hance, please.

2. Even after reading about them on ZooBorns, still can’t figure out what group of mammals they resemble. They’re cute, in their own way. Love the leetle tongue sticking out.

3. vulfhild says:

These guys are super cool – actually a distant cousin of elephants! Not the love child of a badger and a quokka.

4. They’re quite common in parts of South Africa, where they’re known as “dassies”. If you ever get to see the Drakensberg, you’ll see some of these too.

5. Goodie! A new Scrabble word with “x”

6. Jean-Marie Cannon says:

I know what a hyrax is!! I know what a hyrax is!!! {jumping up and down excitedly and waving my hand}. Remember “Patty” who was Joy’s pet in “Born Free”. She was a hyrax.

7. DewiCasGwent says:

An animal named in the bible Lev 11 4-8, also features on the current Archbishop of Canterbury crozier

8. Smartypants says:

…and related to Dr. Seuss’s Lorax! :-D

9. 6rabbits says:

*waves hand about wildly with Jean-Marie Cannon* :-) They are small, cute mammals, so of course I know! ;-)
    If their being related to elephants blows your mind, don’t read the next part!…
    They are also related to the Sirenia order which includes manatees, and dugongs! Mind_totally_blown *ka-boom!*
    (yes, I did just look that up!)

10. 6rabbits says:
  11. X-tra points to Jean-Marie for the correct identification of “Pati”. I believe the Dallas Zoo has always had hyraxes. I’ve known about them my whole life. But I’ve never had the privilege of seeing the babies!! Oh the leetle tongue!!!

12. Cynthia M says:

Raises hand.

13. Front view of toes kinda looks like elephants. Plus little tuskies.
    Dassies are in the San pantheon of dieties, I gather.

14. doomchild says:

@6rabbits My word! These are related to dugongs, manatees and elephants? No wonder they have that knowing smirk… “I may be small, but just you wait until you see my uncle Horace Heffalump and cousin Macy Manatee…

15. diddleymaz says:

I knew about them and the elephants relative bit! too :D cute little critters and one of a kind, literally!!

16. *raises hand* I got up close and personal with some hyrax on a hike in Israel. We were hiking in Ein Gedi and the hyrax were using the pathway too. :) Maybe I’ll send in the photos I took.

17. Reblogged this on Steve's Blog.

18. @Anna. Definitely send the pics!! :-)

@doomchild: mwah-ha-ha-ha! :lol:

19. @diddleymaz: THANK you for actually knowing how to use “literally” correctly!! [english nerd]

20. @Jean-Marie Cannon-That’s the first thing I thought too, Patty! That was a long time ago.

21. I thought they looked like someone squished together a wombat with a Tasmanian devil.

22. Are you sure the proper plural is not “hyraces?”

23. Yep, you see them in Israel and they’re adorbz.

24. Debbie H. says:

Oooh, ooh! (Raises hand) I know what a Rock Hyrax is! The Louisville Zoo also has a few, and I have pictures! They have a wonderful, huge enclosure, and a big sign with a lot of great information about them, including the being related to elephants thing.