Prolly Wouldn’t Recommend This

Let’s talk about Moray Eels. Never seen one on C.O., right?

Until now.

They’ve got a rep for being, uh, ill-mannered.

Not THIS one! (And you get some great British accented narration here, too.)

Concord Barb & Paul – who must have been on an extended vaca – sent this in.

Comments

1. WaldenPond says:

I am really fascinated by this– seriously. Does the eel have a conscious memory or is it a sensory, um repetitive memory reaction to bright pink lady bringing fish. It looks like conscious memory but this clip is so directed, *shrug, sigh* too much for my tgif addled mind– but enthralled none the less!

2. NoBiting says:

“That’s a-moray!”

(Sorry, needed to be said ;)

3. Rofl, the is actually a cute eel :-)
    And the accent is Australian ;-)

4. Used to be terrified of eels – after watching that clip, I’m in love!

5. sabrina rose says:

Stunning! I’m speechless. What a powerful video! (I do love NoBiting’s Oakley-worthy comment!!)

6. It’s conceivable that a moray would be intelligent enough to bond in a dog-like fashion. They are pretty large fish, so plenty of room for a brain of that size…

7. From another Valerie: that is fabulous! And what lovely spots.

8. Saffron says:

Valerie Taylor is an amazing lady.
    Video is so beautiful. This really is an amazing planet.

9. crikey

10. 6rabbits says:

One of the things I love about CO is that we get to see/hear about this type of encounter/relationship, whether it’s with a classically cute animal or not. 😊 I feel joyous almost, when humans and animals–esp. wild ones–connect like this. Such an amazing world we live in! 😘

11. mollykubik says:

Seriously, that was awesome! Must be a memory thing. And to not be aggressive, fascinating.

12. Shelley says:

So is this like a vintage clip? Do eels live to be 40?

13. jlamusings says:

Shelley- it was posted in 2010 so…I dunno!

14. The Original Jane says:

Love this video. Trying to figure out what she means by “talking” to the eel when she’s underwater with a breathing device in her mouth?

15. Mary (the first) says:

That’s awesome! I was also wondering how long eels live. And where is Banda? and so on.

16. Mary (the first) says:

I found a reference that said life span, 10-30 years, but one with the protection of the King would probably live longer! :D

17. Sandi Lee says:

‘NoBiting’ gets the “Pun-of-the-Year” award! I, too, am amazed at the relationship between these two; talk about inter-species snorgeling!!! I agree that these animals are very probably capable of intelligence and that the eel soon began to associate the pink lady as non-threatening . But what happened next, and in all subsequent visits, was nothing short of amazing and one of the most incredible examples of this type of relationship that I have ever seen. Simply Amazing! And of course it was CuteOverload who let us view this fascinating tableau.

18. Just wow!! Love that the eel had the King’s protection.

19. once a wild animal really gets that you don’t mean any harm, and that you are friendly, they almost always show you the best of themselves. she watched the diver for a long time, really made herself sure of the friendly nature of the weird new fish in her sea, and then *boom* they were buds. i have rescued so many wild animals (i volunteer) and this is true of almost all of them. once they are sure, they make you their life-long friend.

20. whatthelump says:

Don’t apologize, NoBiting, it most definitely had to be said! And thank you, CO, for delivering beauty as well as warm fuzzies! This has got to be the most heartwarming thing I’ve seen all year. Now I’ll have to add moray eels to my ever-growing list of wanted animal friends!

21. laineyg6 says:

This is so unusual! Really cool video!

22. That is so facsinating! I wish I had such a strong relationship with an eel

23. Valerie, you always made me proud of Australia! What a naturalist!

24. This is remarkable…I’m scared of eels and Honey looks like she could have quite a bite…but she also truly seems to look upon Valerie with affection, and seems to enjoy the petting as much as the fish treats. I totally agree 6rabbits – it is an amazing, thrilling thing when you can bond with any animal, and even more so when that animal is wild.