Close Encounters Of The Grilla Kind

So whadya do when you meet up with an ENTIRE FAMILY OF MOUNTAIN GRILLAS? You sit still and let ‘em play with your hair, of course.

Video taken near Bwindi National Park, Uganda. From Jennifer A., who adds quite accurately, “Luckiest. Guy. EVER.”

Comments

1. Oh my god!! You’d wet your pants. That silverback could snap you like a twig!! Amazing.

2. Malinki says:

That was one heck of an O face :)

3. Malinki says:

And almost forgot…
    Gubru taste like chicken ;)

4. Aw shucks says:

Whew. I’m glad everything went alright and that the gorilla family was able to peacefully meet the stranger before leaving.

5. Aww, so cute! I would be one of those silly tourists who would try to hug the apes (all sizes) and probably get tossed around like a rag doll. I love how Papa Silverback was watching over his kids playing near the funny looking hairless ape quite seriously, like a bouncer.

6. He remained a lot calmer than I would have! This is one of my favorite bits of gorilla film, because it shows how curious and human-like they are — they actually came in the camp to investigate.

7. @Sarah, I was wetting my pants, and poopin’ ‘em too. OMG! I so thought the silverback was going to whack him. What a cool dad! What a brave hoomin! I wonder what he would have done if they’d stolen his glasses.

8. What do you think, ladies? Is he fit for Men of Cute Overload?

9. How amazing! That is great and so sweet.

10. HeyWattsUp says:

I’d wet my pants, but it would be totally worth it :)

11. The size of the silverback! And that last look he gave the hoomin/funny-looking gorilla, woah! I wonder what the guy with the video camera was wearing that they had zero interest in him. I’m guessing not black!

Re glasses: If he’s smart I’m guessing he brought an extra pair when going on a trip to the jungles of Uganda!

12. Sharon Wilson says:

The silverback’s all, “Don’t touch him! You don’t know where he’s been!”

13. Grilla kid: Hey, what’s this?
    Silverback: Careful, kid, you never know where these things’ve been!
    Grilla mom: I shall sneef it.
    Grilla kid: Can I poke it with a stick?
    Silverback: Okay, fun’s over, moving on.

14. sairentohiru says:

Wow, the CGI in the new Planet of the Apes movie is even better than I’d heard!

15. The 3D effects are off the hook. It’s like you’re really THERE!

16. Smartypants says:

Deckard Canine – definitely Men of CO – love this guy!

17. 6rabbits says:

OMGosh! Total species reversal, except with a human family there’d be a lot of squee-ing over the gorilla! I like how the silverback pulled back one of the kids, like hey, that’s close enough son! The hair-messing looks like grooming behavior–I’m gonna check for bugs type of thing. You could just go ahead and die after that experience, cos ain’t nothing gonna top it! :-)

18. Have seen this before, but never get tired of watching it. Kudos to that guy for not crapping his pants with that big old silverback so close!!

19. clever man, not looking and hiding his eyes when the silver-back comes over. I’d have burst into tears afterwards at the joy of an encounter like that. amazing

20. He really is an honorary gorilla! :-D

21. Malinki says:

@DJ
    I agree, but I think he should have kept his mouth shut, too.
    Displaying teeth like that… Risky. Yeah he had his back to them, but still.

22. Deckard Canine-oh most definitely a candidate for Men of Cute Overload!
    What an experience that must have been, I might be feeling a teeny bit jealous right now but I’ll get over it by watching the video a few more times.

23. I love the look of pure joy on his face. That would have been me. :)

24. dolphin815 says:

Okay, kids, that’s enough! Let’s get to the next exhibit or we’ll never get out of here before the zoo closes!

25. INCREDIBLE!