Japan Prosh. On A Stick.

Quoting the source article from Kotaku.com, these are “Amezaiku’ (飴細工) or “Candy Handiwork.”

lq87lawokfcd1p93yhgb
Apparently, it’s “practiced in various forms for around a thousand years or so.”

kfs6w4vnbg9uo2ivzosy
Prices (in USD) range from $3.00 to $85.00.

loxjojiut1ftz949ibtc
These are all creations of chief artist Takahiro Yoshihara and his staff, at his Tokyo store.

fhl2fswh3do4okbqe9hd
You can watch them Create The Cute in the two videos at the bottom of this post.

mpa4exrbyu6anilvkjhu
Directions to the store are here if you -happen- to be in The Big T.

mvbyfzzahzbbpp4i8wf6
Oh, and here’s the store FB page.

okcqvvyca4bc2v5h9uks

runp8q4xhgm4ioi0qkze

sj4wn4f5dijbcpsykqs1

t6bvrotxv64mbyzqggo0

x2qcxcstu451ozu0h0yh

From Wendy M.

Comments

1. These are amazing! There used to be a lady at Epcot who did this, not sure if she’s still there. My daughter had her make a hummingbird. It was so pretty and delicate.

2. thkoalafanfurimmer says:

The last pic’s of Kyubey, a magical cat-like thing from Puella Magi Madoka Magica. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puella_Magi_Madoka_Magica). Oh, and he’s evil. Of course.

3. Those are all too cute to eat, except for the army of carnivorous, red-eyed bunnies which will climb out from under my bed and up the dust ruffle to get me tonight when I close my eyes.

4. Sabreur says:

The “No Idea” one is an anime character named Kyubey. For the curious, be aware that the anime itself is definitely *not* cute!

5. Clairdelune says:

Question: WHY?!?!?!?!?!? It’s a puzzle indeed. :-D

6. Yeah, don’t look up Puella Magi Madoka Magica if you’re expecting something cute. The show looks innocent enough at the beginning but by episode three it establishes itself as being incredibly bloody and disturbing.There’s a reason that the writer, Gen Urobuchi, is known to his fans as “Urobutcher”.

7. Sharon Wilson says:

It takes a MONTH for the candy to cool enough to handle?? I thought fudge took awhile!

8. DillPig says:

@Clairdelune – Why? So we canz pop ‘em in our moufs, that’s why! :-D

9. dyingearth says:

Madoka is doing to Magical Girl genre what Evangelion did to Giant Robot genre. Watching that show will rip your heart out.

10. The “Thank-you for coming today” is going to give me nightmares.

11. prinsas says:

upscale peeps, for cryin’ out loud.

12. @ everyone who mentioned Kyubey; wouldn’t it be /so satisfying/ to bite the little creeper’s head off and eat it? I think this confectioner is on to a winner there.