Oh, I’ll Have A Mocha, AND A Cappuccino (OMG Ponies !!1!1!!)

Breaking Nooz outta Corvallis, Oregon, where horse twins were just born! We got this info zoomin’ in earlier today via Cuteporter Autumn P:

“My sister just informed me of this news story in her hometown! Apparently, horse twins are very rare and these guys had a bit of a scare early on, but thanks to the students at the OSU Vet School, they’re both doing well and wibbly-wobbling around now like they own the place.”

Which they do.

Comments

1. Mary (the first) says:

OMG hurray! And hurray for OSU, my alma mater (not the vet school).

2. Mary (the first) says:

(of course, I mean, not the vet school part of OSU for my alma mater, not that the hurray is not for the vet school.)

3. sabrina rose says:

Fabulous and brilliant people at the OSU vet school! It’s a grand program for future veterinarians. Congratulations to the mama horse upon the birth of her beautiful healthy twins! OMG two little ponies!!!!!!!! Hope they keep us posted with photos!

4. Gindy51 says:

This usually happens when the owners think the mare has not taken the first time, they rebreed and you get two foals. It is not the safest route for any mare, actually pretty crappy and cheap on the owners part. While congrats are in order maybe a more intensive exam instead of just guessing if the mare is in foal would be more appropriate.

5. Glad to see them looking so chipper! Knowing nothing about the care of OMPonies, I didn’t see anything about what the socks/casts were for, he seemed to be trying to get them off? It was fun to see the people excited about caring for them as well! :-)

6. 6rabbits says:

Didn’t realize twin foals were THAT rare!😳 So glad there’s a happy outcome! (I too want to know what the green wrappings are for?)

7. lovely. and what a sweet, gentle man! i wish he was my babies’ vet! (they’re not horses, though…)

8. Jenny Islander says:

Twin pregnancies are not that rare in horses, but twin births are because the examining vet usually goes “Oh, no, this is not a happy fun situation” and, to be frank, gets rid of one of them very early on. This is because all kinds of extremely awful things I will not detail here can happen to both foals and the mare, up to and including the very worst, to all three of them at once; if you want details and a bad night’s sleep, it’s all online. In short: What in a healthy hoomin is “Oooof, I thought carrying one was uncomfortable!” and a little extra care all around is, in a mare, bad bad news.

So hooray for the students of OSU who got them all through with apparently nothing worse than some baby ortho wraps, and boo hiss to the owner who didn’t stay on top of the situation!

9. mplsdeb says:

Sooooo sweet. Does anyone know why the leggs of the one are wrapped up?