Kellar Has A Ball

You won’t find a puppeh that enjoys a game of fetch more than Kellar! He was born blind but that doesn’t slow this three year old English Springer spaniel one bit!

From Miss Cellania.

Comments

1. orcgirl says:

Wow, what an awesome puppeh!

2. Shannon Matthews says:

i love this! these folks get massive props. I’ve fostered four sight-impaired dogs now (cataracts, asteroid hyalosis, one-eyed, and just blind) and it took so long to get them adopted because people hear “blind” and turn away. But sight is NOT a dog’s primary sense like humans! Dog’s primary sense is hearing, then smell, then sight! Blind doggies are just as capable as sighted doggies!

3. What a great doggeh! I love the scrunching, backing up, getting ready part!

4. Very interesting! But I don’t think the dog is responding to the “warmer” “hot” etc. guidance. I think he can smell the ball.

5. Kellar’s got a good mama! And his pal is so polite not chasing the chirpy ball.

6. This is such a good reminder to enjoy the simple things and not waste time and energy fretting over what we can’t do. Doggies are so amazing.

7. I have a now ‘half’ blind service dog who still loves to work. There is nothing wrong with their capabilities. He is still very much “on the ball” (no pun intended!)

8. Madame X says:

Kellar is an awesome puppeh who was blessed with a warm, caring hooman who loves him! I wonder, though, was he perchance named for Helen Keller?

9. dgerish says:

I love this doggeh and his people–a lovely video.

10. Stephanie says:

What a nice seeing-eye human!

11. kibblenibble says:

I agree with TinaK. The other doggies were so polite. I wonder if the black lab was behing bribed with food to stay put? Ha ha!

12. Michael says:

In the first video, how does he know where the table is so he can jump up with his front feet and return the ball? Maybe he’s sight impaired and not fully blind? In any case, he does a great job hunting down the ball. I’m not sure if he’s listening to his human’s clues or relying purely on his sense of smell, but whatever he’s doing eventually works. And it’s a lesson in enjoying what we can do instead of mourning what we can’t. Animals always carry on with whatever they have left. “I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself.” Thank you, D. H. Lawrence.

13. they are called springers for a reason!!

14. Michael – my guess is that he either is gauging the distance from the lady’s voice or feels the sparser grass close to the table under his paws. Either way, I love, love, love the wonderful relationship between these two!

15. Rachael says:

I think being blind from birth actually makes things easier for him because he’s never known anything different. Having said that, I am sooooo impressed with his fetching skills and with his loving hoomin. She seems determined to make sure her boy doesn’t miss out on anything that the other furballs enjoy.

I’m sitting here with a big sappy smile on my face and tears running down my cheeks. Pure awesomeness!

16. Angela Langdon says:

Aww – what fun! – great dog with a great Mommie!

17. week made.

18. Sharon Wilson says:

Somebody play fetch with that other dog, too!

19. rachele says:

Don’t worry, the black dog (named Quadry) got to play too. He’s my dog and actually a retired seeing-eye dog. I was just holding his ball during the video so he didn’t get in the way. We are friends with Kellar and his owners and we get together with our dogs for playtime each day! :)