That’s One Small Step For A Duck…

….one Giant Leap for…well, also for a duck.

Bowing once again towards the Napa HQ of T.O.

Comments

1. kallisto73 says:

Well, actually, that was hard to watch. They were trying soooo hard. I was so afraid it was gonna end badly… But they all made it :)

2. ShazzaNorth says:

That was harrowing. I had to skip to the end. All’s well.

3. Madame X says:

The power of persistence!!! Hurray for determined darling little ducklings!!!

4. twocityshibas says:

Oh, the suspense, the drama, the cuteness!

5. Andi in NC says:

smart of the filmers to leave them be – that must have been soooo hard!!! Also glad they had the patience to keep filming until they all made it – I was yelling at my screen – “c’mon, buddy, you can dot it, you can do it!!!!”

6. gerdiemonster says:

bless the filmer for sticking it out til the end. i was worried about that last little guy. so glad they all made it! :)

7. gerdiemonster says:

jinx! you owe me a coke!

8. Rachael says:

How many of us were yelling at the screen and “boosting” them up with our body language? It was kinda hard to watch though.

9. sarareina84 says:

oh, the anxiety felt watching that very last little one jump over and over again. I think I about started having heart palpitations.

10. Copperbat says:

So adorable. Those desperate peeppeeppeeps were killing me. I’ll bet those ducklings slept like rocks that night!

11. hope mama gave them a minute or two to catch their breath in the shade of the flowers before continuing on. kudos to the filmers for letting them do it on their own. that can’t have been easy.

12. Sabreur says:

Augh. I’m glad the filmers were smart and kept their distance, but I wanted to help the ducklings up SO BAD. Glad they all made it!

13. RabbitDad says:

Needz moar dramatic music

14. Mary (the first) says:

I’m not sure I could have stayed back without boosting them up. I mean.. omg so cute.

15. Ehn! Ehn! Ehn ehn! EHN!

16. Scootaloo says:

Maybe you don’t want to touch them, but I’d at least have looked about for something to make a ramp.

17. It’s an old and stupid myth that you cannot touch baby animals, especially birds. Birds have very small and simple olfactory nerves and even IF they could smell human scent, they would not readily give up on their young.

18. Laura DragonWench says:

I was actually clapping, telling them, “Go on, babies, you can make it!” Every time another popped up onto the next step, I cheered. And I loved how, once the majority of the ducklings started climbing up the steps, they would waddle back and forth in sync with the ones on the lower step, as if they were cheering their siblings on: “C’mon, guys! We did it, so can you!” And then Momma Duck up there, waiting until the very last one made it all the way up. So harrowing, so dramatic! A big bravo to the filmmakers for keeping their distance and keeping the urge to help the ducklings in check. :D

19. dolphin815 says:

@Toke – It’s not about not touching them (although I have had a mother abandon her baby for dead after I stupidly tried to help it). It’s about them learning how to get past/over obstacles in nature. Mom ducks always do this sort of thing to teach them. Helping them would only ensure that they never learn.