Well, It Has To Be A Squnk

(Squirrel + Skunk = Squnk. Isn’t that the right spelling? Who knows, we’re makin’ this stuff up as we go.)

Ever seen anyone like thees? This little girl/guy was spotted in San Jose CA., and she’s/he’s called a “Piebald” sqwerl. Ah, let’s trot out The Big W for that one.

A Piebald or Pied Animal is one that has a spotting pattern of large unpigmented, usually white, areas of hair, feathers, or scales and normally pigmented patches, generally black. The colour of the animal’s skin underneath its coat is also pigmented under the dark patches and unpigmented under the white patches. Animals with this pattern may include horses, dogs, birds, cats, pigs, and cattle, as well as snakes such as the ball python. [+ SQUIRRELS. -Ed.]

Photos by the San Francisco Globe.

1. Love love love squirrels and this one is even more adorable than the regular ones!

2. I’ve dated a few men that were piebald! :)

3. Cutekotori says:

I think it looks more like a squirrel in a panda costume.

4. I learn something new on CO almost every day… Never heard of a piebald skwerl before–cute!

5. Pepe le Pew just got a little more confused…

6. Sharon Wilson says:

I used to see black skwerls all over the place in San Jose, but I’ve never seen a black and white one!

7. Smartypants says:

Sharon – we have black ones here (Sheffield, MA) – well, more like dark charcoal gray – very Qte!

8. Mary (the first) says:

My kitteh has white splotches like that. Now I know he’s “piebald”! :D

9. that’s qool

10. Momma Sue says:

Awww, he has a heart on his butt!

11. underwriiter505 says:

The same pattern but with a different color from black may be referred to as “skewbald.”

12. I’ve heard of black squirrels, but this little guy is simply beautiful. And a heart butt I might not have caught,but Momma Sue spotted it!

13. dolphin815 says:

Oh, no. It’s only a matter of time before we have Rakunks and Wolvogs and Pigoons.

14. What about a sqrabbit? Nope, I’ve never seen one. But when I was a child a squirrel crossed the road from the right and a rabbit crossed from the left at nearly the same time. I was so excited that I said “Look Daddy, a sqrabbit!”