Kittehs, Doughnuts, And Pancakes. (Obvious Combination, No?)

It is an obvious combo if you’re in the Land Of The Rising Sun Smack You In Your Face QTE, aka Japan. Found these photos on Rocketnews 24 (of course,) and according to their story, “A Japanese housewife named Caroline Ingalls [Like Little House. -Ed.] creates these annually on Cat’s Day (22 February in Japan.) She started off with making cat shaped nerikiri, a traditional Japanese sweet made by mixing shiro-an (sweetened white bean paste) with gyuhi (made of glutinous rice, similar to mochi but softer,) then tinted and sculpted into various shapes and styles. The best (or worst) part is, those cats aren’t just decorations, they’re completely edible!”

Thanks for the swell reporting RN24! (And that’s all well and good, but can she overnight a batch of ‘em to California?)

d0025294_15362399

d0025294_15395486

d0025294_15482685

d0025294_15484576

d0025294_18524888

d0025294_22331460

d0025294_22332635

Comments

1. Those adorable Japanese are in it again… Can’t think of any other nation capable of this :)

2. Laieanna says:

I have a thing for paw prints so the little trail of them on the pastry is keeling me! On a side note…have you ever seen anyone in Japan actually eating these adorable creations? I don’t think they can bring themselves to biting into these delights, and I don’t blame them!

3. Those are so cute that I could not bring myself to eat them!

4. I am always fascinated by Japan’s pastries..one of the reasons why I want to go there!

5. WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANT!!!

6. I couldn’t eat them. I’d have to paint a sealant on of some sort and keep them forevah.

7. Rixraxmarie says:

They are so adorable. I would eat them, however. Especially if I could always get more….

8. These are so cute that I would eat them and eat them and EAT THEM etc… so maybe it’s better they’re not sold over here?

9. I’ve seen some of these before when looking up wagashi (japanese sweets) but am sooo glad to know who made them. I love the little bunnies too- squee!

By the way, if you want proof that Japanese folks eat these type of things, look up wagashi, especially traditional shapes mochi. They’re all amazing works of art, and people eat them. They take their sweets seriously over there :)

10. Good lord. It’s the world’s cutest breakfast. :D

11. Love to eat them kitties,
    Kitties what I love to eat,
    Bite they little heads off,
    Nibble on they tiny feet.
    — B. Kliban (paraphrased)

12. Clairdelune says:

Caroline has been in Japan WAAAAAY too long. If she ever gets back to the US, she’s going to suffer culture shock. :-D
    LOVE them kitties!! Only in Japan…

13. Sharon Wilson says:

They should have Cat Day over here!

14. Lisa marie says:

Sooo scrumptious…I could never eat anything so cute!

15. YUM!

16. I just did a spit take when I got the to BUNNY! How to the Japanese do eet!?! the kawaii is keeling me!!!

17. Oh the whimsy!

18. Brinke, I check RocketNews almost daily, and I dont even bother submitting their cute posts, cause I figured youd have seen them too =)

19. They honestly have a cat day Along with Girl Day and Boy Day? Tell me that they have Dog Day, Bunny Day and Red Panda Day too.

20. AWW :D This kitty shaped treats look too cute to eat :D

21. I will rather keep admiring them and die hungry than eat those cutie pies

22. I squeeed so hard over these, my throat hurts now!!! Seriously! My neighbours already think I´m bonkers, now they´re probably gonna call the men in white coats….

23. 6rabbits says:

Okay, I NEED that bunny! The more I scrolled, the cuter it got, but at the bunneh…squeeeeeeeee!
    Shouldn’t we be planning a Cute Overload Tour of Japan? People who love the cute, going to the land of cute. Who’s up for it? :-)