Mantis Alert!

Sometimes The Cute is nothing but full-on Overload of the most adorabuhlz kittens and puppies in the entire world.

Sometimes it’s not.

13273438575_c4b45378a0_z
We think we have an exotic cute for you today, thanks to little, “Penh”, who might be praying that you agree.

13273437065_82858f2dca_z
“I’m sure insects are not considered “cute” by many standards, but my little lady, Penh, might prove to be an exception!” -Mandy O.

Comments

1. I think everything is cute, but even those who don’t can probably agree that she has a nice springy colour scheme!

2. What personality! :-)

3. Aww, he’s quite cute (as long as he’s not on me or in my house…).

4. Victoria, Mom to 3 Rats says:

I think mantids are adorable!

5. Michele D. says:

Penh is quite the little cutie! I used to have a pet mantis named Marilyn Mantis, and I thought she was amazing. My husband did not agree so much….lol! :)

6. Smartypants says:

A pet mantis? That is awesome! S/he is adorable…just look at those smiling mandibles.

This is why I keep coming back to CO (one of many reasons)…they understand that Teh Qte isn’t limited to mammals/vertebrates.

7. I absolutely ADORE mantids! I love their swivelly triangle heads and big eyes. I had a whole crew of behbeh mantids around my door last year! LOVED it!

8. Killer Klown says:

I mentioned this some time before, but check out orchid mantises. Those things are flippin’ gorgeous.

9. Jenny Islander says:

@Killer Klown: Are those the ones that literally look like orchids? They’re awesome.

A college classmate discovered why you are not supposed to take weathered old elephant bones home from your safari (besides its being, you know, illegal). He parked the bone in his dorm room after spring break. One morning a few weeks later, his roommate was awakened by a bloodcurdling scream. Yes, momma mantis had tucked her eggs safely (she thought) into the eroded hollows of the bone. Hundreds of mantislettes no taller than a pinky nail were wandering confusedly around the place.

So far, so creepy. But the funny part was what happened when the mantislettes discovered that They Were Not Alone. That species of mantis does a “Puff up! Puff up! They hate that!” defense when it sees something very large that might want to eat it. So the bedspread, bedside table, and floor were speckled with eensy weensy green critters all bouncing up and down on their hindlegs going “rar, rar, i am a monster, fear me, rar.”

10. @Jenny Islander. What happened next? I was really getting into the story, doing the mini ‘rar rar’ sound effects and then you stopped. Did you manage to calm the situation down? Did everyone live happily ever after?

11. Alice Shortcake says:

Googly eyes…lipstick…it’s the Betty Boop of the insect world!

12. Jenny…. omg… that is epic. And yes, orchid mantises are amazing.

13. 6rabbits says:

Yes, Jenny Islander, I want the rest of the story! Also, some pictures! Surely someone snapped a few?

14. Is the pic on the top right shoeing a slight mantis baroo? I think so! :)
    Mantis is very cute and I agree with ShinyHappyGoth..it is good to see Spring-y colors!

15. *showing. Although shoes are always on my mind! :D

16. Dog Lover says:

I find them quite adorable and full of personality. But now I’m wondering why Jenny Islander’s classmate hasn’t yet written a book about his experience with the manti. What a riot! :)

17. Saffron, I detected a mantis-like baroo myself!
    Jenny Islander, what did happen next? Although, as a roommate, I, too, would probably have screamed at waking up to that, I also think I would have scrambled around on hands and knees with a spoon, scooping up babies. Unless one bit me. Then, depending, I may have stood an a chair and directed.

18. i LOVE the mantis!!!