Walky Raccoon

Now somewhere around Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England..

12915870694_7b7be67967_z
There lives a young pet who’s a walky raccoon.

12915871184_81c344c792_z
And some days the woman goes walkies with another guy.

12915560003_990db6809a_z
You have to hear how Liz affectionately describes Zella, whose name means, “dark, mischievous and mysterious”. And she’s very mischievous, all the time!

Dooo, doo doo doo doo-doo… Via Daily Mail.

Comments

1. Her name was Magill and she called herself Lil, but everyone knew her as Nancy.

2. freetomato says:

She is cute alright, but I have a real problem with wild animals being kept as pets. Sorry to be a buzzkill. She should be roaming the forest.

3. freetomato-totally agree, sad to see her on a leash.

4. Pooka@ms.com says:

Oh, nonsense. She has a warm and loving home. Stop trying to force everything to be the same.

In my part of the world the raccoons live in the storm drains and are harassed by coyotes.

5. tommygirl says:

Raccoons are actually very hard to tame, so this is pretty special.

6. Shaz aka Sharon says:

She’s still a baby. She’s going to grow up, start destroying things and then they won’t want anything to do with her. I’m wondering how much they really know about raccoons, seeing as they’re not a UK animal.

7. Dog Lover says:

freetomato, I have to agree. They’re not doing her any favors by keeping her as a house pet. I think they mean well but they are so misguided and selfish. :(

8. Buffernuffer says:

As a Midwestern gal living in the UK sometimes I miss our adorable North American critter buddies. But then I remember that I now live on a tiny island where almost nobody has garbage disposals, some areas have bi-weekly food bin collections, and nobody keeps their cats indoors. Raccoons would not be so good :)

9. And hit by cars and shot by farmers. In fact I’ve known several very contented domesticated raccoons, so there PTFHTFTHTHHHPT!

10. rebekah628 says:

I’m with the nay-sayers here- a raccoon is not a house pet, and when she says she takes it to children’s parties? I hope she has lots of insurance..

11. I used to be a wildlife rehabilitator, and I’ve raised raccoons to adulthood. I’m with all the folks who say raccoons don’t make good pets. They become aggressive as they reach adolescence, and are highly destructive even when young. Additionally, they’re non-native to Europe, and if they escape, they can become pests and endanger native wildlife, as has happened in Germany. Cute — but poor idea all around. Enjoy pix of these critters on the Internet, but please don’t adopt them as pets!

12. I really hope that they don’t rent too. Their landlord is going to have a racoon over what they’ve done to the front room.

13. Reminded me of the raccoon commercial for Sears Optical where she thinks the raccoon is a cat! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZOeWFBy75A

14. It’s the first racoon I’ve heard about in the UK. Unfortunately, we seem to be starting to keep highly inappropriate “pets” over here, such as specially bred fighting dogs, or half breeds from them – not a week goes by now without a child and even adults being mauled by them, sometimes to death. Exotic snakes, spiders, reptiles…. Sorry to be on a downer today, peeps, but we are a small island with a damp, temperate climate and our indigenous species are quite harmless on the whole. Foxes empty dust bins and cause havoc with chickens, skwerls empty bird feeders, cats wee in other peoples’ flowerbeds but, on the whole that’s it. People don’t understand how dangerous and destructive these creatures are until it’s too late.

15. Possym, you are absolutely right about them getting aggressive as they get older. They will literally destroy your home. I think raccoons are adorable and precious but they should be out in nature.

16. This couple are EXTREMELY experienced with animals. They are friends of my work colleague and are fully licensed. I’ll point out also that raccoons are not indigenous to the UK, and that is one of the reasons she needs to be on a leash.

17. What a cutie, and the couple obviously love her very much and know how to look after her. Although… I would really love to hear her back story, how and why they got her, do they need a wild animal licence to keep her, do they know about them becoming aggressive as they grow up etc…. that would be interesting.

18. I’m not falling for it. The The Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog comes to mind.

19. It’s true. Those little beasts are wild, especially after all the cake and candy.

Beats a clown, I say.