One Whale Of A Video

Q: What can match the regal elegance of one of the largest creatures on the planet?
A: Not a heckuva lot.

A Phantom quadrocopter was mounted with a GoPro camera to get this amazing video of a mother Humpback and her young calf off the Maui coast last week, as seen on The Dodo.com. Here’s a site out of Puako, Hawaii that lets you listen to live Humpback Whalesong, right now!

Just…wow. From Susan M.

Comments

1. Blue Footed Booby says:

Just checked Amazon, and GoPros are way less expensive than I thought they’d be given the quality of the video they take and the abuse they can evidently endure. I suddenly understand why they’ve started to crop up everywhere.

2. Blue Footed Booby says:

I should have known that post would land me in the mod lounge. Where are the jagerbombs?

3. How about a Fudgy the Whale ice cream cake?

4. Oops, that was a reply to BFB above….

5. That just about put me in a trance. Incredible.

6. Wow .. That’s one whale of a video …

7. Only if you put “You’re a whale of a dad” on it.

8. Talk about the ultimate mom taxi! :-)

9. Mom water taxi FTW!!!

10. Blue Footed Booby says:

Seeing adorable babies like that next to mom makes it hard to keep in mind that those babies may well outweigh my car.

11. I know! I guess little ones are the same across all species – “Mom, I’m tired, carry me!”

12. To quote “The Most Interesting Man in the World”: I usually abstain from trendy adjectives of the moment, but in this case, I must use the word…AWESOME!

13. whawhawhatsis says:

Does anyone know what the music was with that video? It was gorgeous — perfect for that beautiful momma whale and her little one!

14. Laura DragonWench says:

I saw the article on Yahoo when this video first came out, in which officials were making all kinds of noises about how taking video using drones may not be safe for the animals and they need to reevaluate the policies regarding the photography of protected wildlife to take into account the use of drones, since it’s such a recent phenomenon. I have to say, I think the officials are being overly protective and reactive. Using drones to photograph/video wildlife, especially protected wildlife like the humpback whales in the video, is actually a better way of doing so as it allows extremely close views of the animals with a minimum of noise and almost zero human presence in the form of divers or even boats, as the operator can be several yards away. Not only do drones give the animals greater freedom of movement, which also generates footage of more natural behavior, they reduce any stress which may come out of a direct interaction between humans and wildlife.

15. Diz E Dame says:

His was just so very beautiful! :)

16. Diz E Dame says: