The Protector O’ The Bunnehs

Cuteporter Allie S. (“I need to go poop marshmallows and sunshine now”) spotted this story on CNN.com, about Joshua Bisnar, an active-duty Navy Hospital Corpsman. It seems he pulled off a big-time ResQte! Quoting Josh on Reddit:

“I live in Camp Pendleton, CA. As I was raking the volleyball court, I found a small hole with 4 tiny rabbits in it. I grabbed a box, put a few old shirts into it and picked up the bunnies. I researched how to raise them and what to feed them. I made a nice box for them to live in and bottle fed them until I could ween them to eat the local foods. After a couple months I brought them to a wildlife rescue because they were starting to jump out of their box. It was a lot of hard work but I loved the bunnies.”

KQUV3S0

Comments

1. Emmberrann says:

Corpsman Josh, this makes you a bunneh-mommeh. You done good. Thank you not just for your resqte, but also your service.

P.s., nomination to the Men of Cute calendar.

2. Cambridge Rat Mom says:

Yup, there needs to be a CO calendar. Thanks for saving the bunnies. Nothing like a man with a soft heart for animals.

3. mauderules says:

Second that.

4. Rule of Cuteness #14 :)

5. Cambridge Rat Mom says:

So, I went and read the story on CNN.com. In case you don’t read it, I’ll share it here:

“For two months he fed the little critters several times a day using an eyedropper. Once the bunnies were big enough to begin jumping out of the box, he took them to a nearby wildlife sanctuary. “It was a sad day,” he said. “I’m not sure what they are doing now, but I like to think they are fighting off coyotes with the sweet swords and armor I made them and living the dream in Orange County eating the freshest of grasses and meeting all sorts of sexy girl bunnies.”

When asked about his recent online fame he joked, “What I don’t like about it is that the fame is getting to my head. I have cut my friends and family off, they keep asking me for money. I see myself as a god amongst men!”

A good guy and funny, too. Thanks, again, for saving the bunnies.

6. whawhawhatsis says:

I totally melted into a puddle of goo when, in the first video, his friend picked up the baby and said, in tones of wonder, “Bunneh.” I think we have TWO nominees for the Men of CO Calendar!

7. Given the sense of humor and his commitment to those little bunnehs, I think we have our “Men of CO” cover guy here.

8. Martha in Washington says:

I have never met a Navy Corpsman who wasn’t just the sweetest, cutest thing ever! (And I dare say, I’ve met hundreds in my years as a Navy wife.) But Josh absolutely takes the cake!

9. According to the details in the story, he found a fully grown dead rabbit first. Then later found the hole with the babies. Assumption – momma dead, babies need rescuing.

10. The article says he found them while raking the volleyball court, so presumably he found them on the playing area.

11. Jodi Hankins says:

OOOO-RAAH!!!

12. From the CNN article:

“I live in Camp Pendleton, CA. And as I was raking the volleyball court at the barracks I found a dead rabbit (fully grown). As I continued raking I found a small hole with 4 tiny tiny rabbits in it……”

Doesn’t mean the dead adult rabbit was for sure the mother but I’d be willing to give the guy the benefit of the doubt.

13. whawhawhatsis says:

The article said that he found the mother dead first.

14. Mom bunnies bunnies leave the babies alone in the nest for quite long periods of time but will come back to them. If you find a nest, leave it alone as long as no animals are getting at it. A few years ago, our neighbor’s dog got into a nest of bunnies and I saw her eating one (I thought she had a new squeaky toy at first– UGH!). I called the wildlife rescue and they told me to just move the bunnies to our side of the fence so the neighbor’s dog couldn’t get at them (once she knew where they were, she wasn’t going to leave them alone) and that the mom would find them and care for them. The mom found them later that evening and moved them herself to a place she felt was safe. Word must have gotten around in the bunny community because we have had lots of bunnies/nests in our yard ever since then!

15. On the CNN article, dude is quoted as saying, “I found a dead rabbit (fully grown). As I continued raking I found a small hole with 4 tiny tiny rabbits in it.” It seems, sadly, that Mama Bun was, for sure, gone. Sad, but at least he didn’t just steal the buns from their happy home.

16. C’mon CO! We NEEEEED a Men of CO calendar!

Please take my money now!

17. Saving and rehabilitating wildlife is one of the most joyous experiences I have had.

18. I am VERY impressed that this wonderful man was able to keep these buns alive! As many here know, it is incredibly difficult to raise wild baby buns due to their delicate digestive systems and how easily they become stressed, not to mention the danger of infection since they are no longer getting antibodies from mom’s milk! He is to be highly commended! Does the Navy have a medal for that? :-)

19. That first pic just keeled me. ‘sploded my head and everything. I, honestly, don’t know how I’m functioning right now without a working head.

20. Oh for the love of Cpl Remsburg, give that man a RESCUTE tag!!

21. Dog Lover says:

This is just all kinds of wunderful!!! I bet this strong, gentle, dedicated young man will have numerous marriage proposals once the story gets out.

Thank you, Bunneh Mommeh. :)

22. I think I’m in love! hahaha

23. Oh the battle is on! :)

24. Be still, my heart.

25. He raised an army of kickass bunnehs! Love it!

26. My thoughts exactly.can’t imagine how it felt for the momma bunneh to look for her babies after they were “rescued”.

27. Duh, only just read the latest comments where it was said that the mommy was apparently found dead before the rescue. I take my previous comment back and vote this guy as the cover of men of CO.

28. That got me too!! Nothing is greater than young men treating animals with love and kindness!

29. swoon ~