This Gets The C.O. Seal Of Approval

Underwater snorgling on location in the Farne Islands, UK.

Seal of Approval from Jason Neilus on Vimeo.

FAVE FRAME! (@ 2:00 minute mark.)

Clipboard01
From Cuteporter Wendy M. Oh, and that song you won’t get out of your head for the rest of the day? “On Top Of The World” by Imagine Dragons.

Comments

1. kibblenibble says:

Adorable inter-species snorgling, but something tells me that this behavior isn’t typical. How does this happen?!? :shock:

2. Wah! I wanna swim and snorgle with the seals!

3. I’ve known people who’ve been swimming and had sealios coming to play. They can give a nasty bite tho. The temperamental tubby kitties of the sea.

4. rustybicycle says:

I’m grinning like an idiot here. My cheeks actually hurt.

5. As Earwig said — I don’t think sealios generally recognize man as a predatory species. The divers don’t do anything threatening and the sealios don’t necessarily know *what* the hoomans are so they come up to check them out. Sealios explore and quickly realize that while the hoomans are not edible they are also not a threat so they’re content to just hang out for a while. Also, like many species, I think sealios have a sense of ‘play’. The hoomans seem willing to play and sealios like to play so it’s a perfect pairing to them.

Also, as Earwig noted, if the sealios decided they didn’t like the hoomans they have several self-defense mechanisms available. You’ll note their flippers actually have claws on them and are also quite powerful and they do have sharp teeth as well. In addition to the fact that, despite their blorpy appearance, sealios can swim quite fast.

6. Sealios are bell-skritch converts. MOAR BELLY SKRITCH.

7. I used to scuba dive (years ago). One of my most amazing experiences was off San Clemente Island, near San Diego. We were diving during seal mating season. These beasties come right up to you for petting and what not. However, they can turn in a blink and nip you. How it was explained to me was that seals are (naturally) curious, and they look at divers as being strange-looking seals. Or something like that. Of course, the Cute side of me wants to believe that they just want to cuddle. Which may be true also.

8. The fave frame sealio! I’m belly laughingk. Omg, seals are the best.

9. Sea doggies, skritch, skritch, skritch

10. So torn- Love, love, love sealios! But… Song is ex’s song, and that wound is still fresh. :(

11. During mating season they want to cuddle? DON’T FALL FOR IT!

12. phred's mom says:

Seals and humans are the stuff of legend in
    the northern waters of Britain. In Shetland
    there is the song “The Silkie of Sule Skerry”,
    the story of a silkie (seal) that assumes the
    form of a human, comes ashore and seduces
    a human girl, with predictable result. Sounds
    unpleasant, but the song/legend is rather
    romantic and lovely.

13. phred's mom says:

“And whatnot” ?!?!?!?
    Yikes!

14. 260Oakley says:

From The Undersea World of Jacques Cute-steau. Merci!

15. does the pressure of having to be so clever ever get to you? LOL

16. Jodi Hankins says:

It looks like they are “sniffing” the diver’s hand. Is that possible? Can they sniff underwater? Or are they just feeling the hand/fingers with their sensitive nose and whiskers?

17. Blue Footed Booby says:

I’ve read about a leopard seal trying to feed a cameraman dead penguins. She evidently became rather distressed that the big ugly baby showed no interest in hunting.

18. 260Oakley says:

Nah, I just swing at everything and hope people remember the hits, not the misses. ;)

19. Hi everyone…..I’m Jason…the guy that made the video and I just wanted to say I really loved that you all enjoyed the video. I loved making it and it makes me happy reading all your comments (apart from the one who said I used her ex’s song…..sorry about that….:(

Please feel free to enjoy the video as often as you like!!!! :)

Jason

20. They truly are just dogs with flippers aren’t they?

21. Yes…….they are as nosey about us as we are them. :)

22. when is the best season and time to visit this island!?

23. October/ November is the best time :)