Who’s Hungry Out There?

C’mon, it’s chilly out here! The Deer Diner’s not open all day! Let’s shake a leg hoof!

Cuteporter Jo says, “He can get all the ladies. No matter how far away they are. I want to know why that one buck’s name is Lumpy.” As seen on Digg.

Comments

1. Dog Lover says:

That’s one of the most amazing things I’ve ever seen! Holy crap!!!

2. HIs neighbors must either love him or loathe this guy.

3. sabrina rose says:

I love it! His own little herd of semi-tame deer. The neighbors are well separated, looks pretty rural out there so it shouldn’t matter too much. Maybe if they try to have spring and summer gardens….he can contact the local forest ranger for advice.

4. phred's mom says:

That yet-to-be-created Men of CO
    calendar has another page. I don’t
    care what he looks like, he’s a winner.

5. Was thinking the exact same thing!!!

6. Janet in NYC says:

Any man who takes the time to care for these critters is a Champ!

7. I second the nomination!

8. I am SO jealous!

9. What a nice man! I love the way he talks to them too.

10. At first I thought there were two or three deer out there, coming up the hill, but then there were hundreds!!! Squee and DED.

11. I love this guy for being so good to the dear deer! I admit I am an apartment-dweller without a yard, but I care more about animals than people’s yards any day!

12. I wonder if that’s somewhere in Colorado. Reminds me of an area I drove through when I was on vacation up there last year.

13. The accent sounds like Pennsylvania to me. I do worry that this is bad for the deer, though – getting them accustomed to being near people and houses, going up to people for food – this could hurt them in the long run. (and deerhunting is big in PA)

14. Tony James says:

As this is a food-related post, would that be an “omnomnomnomnomination”?

15. dude had a serious midlantic accent. bal’mer or pittsburgh type. could be sw pa or the md panhannel. appalachuns. deer country fur shewer.

16. I can’t believe he was able to do that. Wow! So nice of him. I would if I could, too, definitely!

17. Blue Footed Booby says:

Way back in the day, when I was still in Boy Scouts, I went on a camp-out where we had to shove deer that kept trying to shove their noses in our food as we cooked. It was like a bunch of giant, antlered dogs.

Or possibly hooved seagulls. MINE MINE MINE.

18. I was thinking the same thing (could end up hurting the deer). I was also thinking that in some states people feed deer because it makes them much easier to shoot when they’re standing still instead of running away. : (((

19. I could swear he said “Youse hungry?”–which made me think South Philly. (OK, *maybe* he said “who’s”–but it sure sounds like “youse” to me.)

20. my guess? Frederick or Garrett County, MD. hon. :)

21. *sings*
    My deer callin’ bring all the girls to the yard,
    dam right
    it’s better than yours…! ;-)

22. I think the buck might be named Lumpy after Happy Tree Friends, although that character is technically a moose.

23. Deer will walk right up to people’s houses whether the people want them to or not. If there’s food in the area, they will come.

24. phred's mom says:

He is indeed from my neck of the woods,
    Pennsylvania, Easton, in his case. He
    lives in Colorado, as you may have guessed
    from the terrain. I heard that accent, too,
    when I first saw this vid, so researched him
    through YouTube. Very cool guy.

25. phred's mom says:

“Youse” is common in these hyar parts.
    Comes from early immigrants from Britain,
    I read somewhere. Mainly Scotland and Ireland.

26. So nice of him to train the deer to come in for the hunters next October.

27. Hey, phred’s mom! I lived in Easton 2003-2007. (And Philly 1986-2000.)

28. Oh absolutely. I live in in Minneapolis, I am acquainted with this fella who lives across from a wooded area (in Minneapolis) and he has fed the deer a time or two. They actually will come peek in his window when it’s time to eat.

29. I was trying to think of who his voice reminds me of. John Candy. All I can think of is Uncle Buck.