Penguins…Being Penguins

You think it’s easy to be a Penguin? It’s not. Penguins tend to fall down, and tip over.

A lot.

Check out the video below, and this live webcam of Penguinz In Antarctica!

“I know they fall (ouch!) but they get back up and they are sooooooo cuuuuuuuuuuuute!!!!! Oh yeah and where i live (Central Wisconsin,) it was 17 degrees below ZERO this morning!!” -Annie M.

1. I realize they are hearty, resilient little bowling pins that evolved to survive (even thrive well in) their harsh environment but…*snatches up ALLL the penguins and wraps them in bubble wrap.

2. *installs penguin-sized chair lift at top of jagged, stupid cliff*

3. The ones with the yellow “ear-tufts” are called rockhopper penguins, so I guess they’re used to it….

4. I think they would be better named “rock-fall-off-and-go-bonk” penguins, but they didn’t ask me.

5. Maybe the person who named them was trying to be optimistic?

6. Alice Shortcake says:

The group at 1:10 look like three gents in evening dress walking home unsteadily after a night on the town.

Claude: “I say, Percy, did you remember to tip the – ” (slips)

Percy: “You can’t hold your drink like you used to, old boy – ” (loses footing)

Augustus: “Good heavens, chaps, I can’t take you anywh – ” (slithers, falls against Percy)

7. I’ll help! *gets tape and MORE bubble wrap*

8. I’m out of bubble wrap. How about two bags of marshmallows, one in front and one behind?

9. I feel so bad for laughing, but they’re beyond funny. I feel a little less clumsy this morning.

10. onionpencil says:

my thought too, i feel better about how i get around, especially in winter.

11. not only do i feel badly about laughing. i watched it again and felt badly again. sigh!

12. There are a lot of “I’m OK…I meant to do that!” moments.

Kinda makes me wish I was a penguin last February when I slipped and fell on a patch of ice and fractured my wrist.

13. I know someone who went downhill skiing for a week in a place with really steep, difficult slopes. He came back with a broken leg—from slipping and falling in the parking lot!

14. Ouchie! Sending you healing thoughts.

15. Thanks, and I’m all good now, after 5 weeks in a cast and 3 months of physiotherapy. That little accident did make me extra careful walking in winter. (Not that I was reckless to begin with.)

16. Smooth ice be slippery! Thank goodness for blubber though…

The little gang that’s jump-jump-jumping at 0:37 are killing me with cuteness. It’s like they’re doing a sack race! *wants a gif of that*

17. If you look closely, you will see that they are chasing a butterfly.

18. Oh stick a fork in me, I’m done…

I may finally have to get around to learning how to make gifs, so I can have this on a LOOP.

19. They right themselves so quickly! It’s like when they fall down they’re still halfway upright already. They must have a very low center of gravity.

20. Remember the toy people, Weebles? “Weebles wobble but they don’t fall down!” Even tho many of these penguins DO fall down, that’s what I thought of. :-)
    Also, penguin group-hopping ez keel-ingk me!

21. Laura DragonWench says:

I totally heard a “Duuuude!” in that honk.

22. Mary (the first) says:

LOL! (I think it was “dork!”)

23. Hard to know if the honk is a penguin version of “Bummer, bro!” or “Dork!”

24. I finally figured it out! I’m a penguin! It explains why I fall down all the time and trip over flat surfaces! Such a relief to finally have an answer!

25. I’m now reminded of this:

Penguins, emperors, whatevs.

26. :lol:

27. Sharon Wilson says:

Hey, 17 below is balmy for penguins!

28. They’d be feeling great in the midwest, then!

29. They are still more graceful than Pumaman…I’m just saying :D

30. One of my favorites. “Bring me a soda pop and a caramello..”

31. petless in Puddletown says:

I call penguin ‘tocks!!
    Good thing those rockhopper dudes are made of rubber… blubber… whatevs.

32. Annie M.-you and I must be neighbors. Also central WI here and woke up to 17 below….. :)

33. What about the wind chill??

34. Temp still -17 here, wind chill is minus 40….

35. And there’s plenty of wind, right? YUCK!

It’s a 12 dog night, seems to me.

36. *Cues the Yakkity Sax music*

37. Martha in Washington says:

I never noticed how cat-like penguins are, what with all the ” yep, I meant to do that” shenanigans!

38. I watched this like 4 times today. each time laughed out loud.

39. Aww… I gotta say at least slipping on the ice doesn’t look nearly as painful as falling off rocks, or sliding down rock cliffs! There is also something comforting in knowing that even penguins slip on ice.

My favorite moments aside from the cute fluffs that slip and fall (naturally) are the poor fellows who had penguins land on their heads.

40. Are you sure these are not people from North Dakota? It was -22 this morning with wind chill it put it at -60. We should get them cleats for their feets….

41. What perfectly synched music! Anyone know the name of the piece of music?