Over the Seashell and Through the Hoops

to score a soccer gooooal!
Under the bar and weaving through poles
Some bubbles I will blow.
Extra points for style my tail goes swish,
I am Erasmus, the clicker-trained fish!

“You guys will love this – I came across it yesterday and my family has watched it about a dozen times. I never thought a fish could be this cute.” Karyn K. Via YouTube

Comments

1. Well…color me stupefied! My mind is blown away! Congrats, Erasmus! :-)

2. You’ve got to be kidding me! Come on, fess up…this is something someone made up…a video photoshop or something, huh? I would have said no way in a zillion years anyone could train a fish! BTW, it is cute — real or not.

3. Wow, how is that even possible??? I am positively stunned.

4. OMG. How can a fish DO that?

5. sabrina rose says:

Amazing and fabulous!! I wonder if goldfish and betta fish could be trained to a clicker? And I loved the aria – anyone know what it is?

6. phred's mom says:

Who knew a fish could be trained?!?!?!
    I am flummoxed, flabbergasted, even.

7. Reblogged this on ugiridharaprasad.

8. The clicker makes sense if its followed with positive reinforcement. I didn’t read all of the notes, does he get a treat for these tricks?

9. lisaLASSIE says:

Brilliant, delightful!!!!! What a wonderful , clever, thoughtful , smart person to take the time to train the fish, thus enriching fishie’s otherwise boring existence. I especially loved the weave poles!!! just like dog agility. Bravo!!! (and nice music)

10. Excuse me while I pick up my jaw from the floor.

11. I met a trained fish once. It was big and yellow – I think it was a type of parrot fish. It didn’t do anything fancy. You could just direct it to roll a golf ball around and the bottom of her tank. Until then, I thought they were quite stupid, but after playing with her for about a half hour, I found that she displayed some surprisingly sophisticated traits that I would have expected from a bird or a small mammal.

12. bumbleduckie says:

Well done Erasmus! :)

I’ve seen another clip of a trained fish, it was a gold fish. Very clever. Goes to show it’s as much the trainer as the trainee! Can’t remember the name of the fish or its hoomins, but I’m sure you can find it via Google or YouToobs. The two hoomins were a boy and his father, they trained the fishy.

Love this website, first time commenting. Thanks for all the Cute Explosion and Merry Christmas!! :)

13. Jenny Islander says:

I think animals of many species can blossom if attended to. We used to have a cat that was just the cat that caught mice at a neighbor’s house. They kicked her out when they got bored with having a cat (insert swear words here) and she ended up at my late MIL’s house. At first she just ate, hunted, and slept, but when I moved in I made friends with her and then she started to make friends with everyone else. My late MIL commented on how smart and curious she had turned out to be–once she realized that she was welcome, not just tolerated, and that people wanted to interact with her.

14. dave moore says:

these fish are called Albino Cobalt Blue Mallawi Chichlids. and are very smart.I used to keep some.

15. Fave Frame at 1:01. Fish can smile?!

16. There is a video out there somewhere off a hold fish playing soccer, I think it is, trained with then same methods. My Google fun is failing me though.

17. phred's mom says:

We all, human and non-human alike,
    blossom when well-fed with respect
    and affection. ‘Twas ever thus and
    ever shall be, world without end.
    Amen

18. I get that a lot! You can look at my channel, I have a few unedited training sessions posted.

19. I get that a lot! It is completely real. You can look at my youtube channel, I have a few unedited training sessions posted.

20. Yes, you can train betas and goldfish. I used a flashlight as a marker signal, not a clicker exactly, but the principles are the same. You can read my blog post on how I did it if you go to the video and click on info – I link to it there. The music is “Rompo i lacci” from Flavio by Handel. I thought it would be funny to pair fish with opera.

21. Yes, he got a little food pellet after each trick :)

22. Thank you :) :) :)

23. Thank you so much Lisa! I train my fish exactly for those reasons. Animals need to behave to be happy. They can’t just sit there in a box doing nothing. My fish gets mental stimulation, and so do I…

24. lol thanks Edmund :D