How ‘Bout Some Nice Tofurkey Instead?

Clipboard01(Mr. Turkey says: “I pretty much despise Thanksgiving. Nothing personal, just business.”)

“Time to celebrate turkeys! I wonder if your readers would like to see this adorable rescued baby turkey who looks like a cotton ball? Who needs Butterball, when Farm Sanctuary’s got a wittle cottonball?” -Meredith T.

The Adopt a Turkey Project gives people the chance to sponsor one of the rescued birds who reside at the group’s shelters in New York and California. It’s provided care for more than 1,000 rescued turkeys over the last 25 years.

Cottonball Turkey Baby
To learn more about the Adopt a Turkey Project, visit here or call the Turkey Adoption Hotline at 1-888-SPONSOR.

Comments

1. Poor turkey has had its beak chopped!! Industrial meat production is so awful….

2. Thank you for posting this consciousness-raising post. If we love animals, we can live without killing and eating them.

3. Excellent post!!

4. These types of farming practices just have to go. And we do really have to find as many ways as possible to raise awareness, because this all stems from basic supply and demand — coming from a short attention span/instant gratification populace that is getting more and more overweight (sad but true).

I don’t believe in not eating meat, but I do believe in raising them in a healthy and honorable way — which is healthy for both.

5. wonderful post! Thank you. it makes no sense to love animals and also eat them.

6. Not eating meat exists! Regardless of whether anyone believes it or not! I’ve seen it with mine own eyes : p

As for healthy and honorable, I’m wondering what the turkeys would say…

7. I agree with you. I am an omnivore but believe that we humans absolutely need to make sure that the animals in our care, be they for consumption or as pets, are cared for kindly and humanely throughout their lives.

8. There’s always hunting ones in the wild. One morning, on my way to work after dropping my dog off at doggie daycare I was driving through a rather ‘wild’ suburban area where I had seen some wild turkeys the year before. This time I had to slam on the brakes because there was an idiot turkey right in the middle of the road! He proceeded to then saunter across the road unhurriedly. Of course I yelled out the window at him “You Turkey!” As he finally cleared the road and I could start driving again I muttered that it was a good thing for him that it wasn’t close to Thanksgiving. Didn’t even have the sense to get out of the middle of the road….

9. I have already switched over to not eating meat.

We humans can still survive and function even better WITHOUT any form of meat in our system.

10. How adorable! A adopted mine already.
    Happy cruelty-free Thanksgiving, everyone – love them, don’t eat them :)

11. I love my carnivore animals enough to provide meat for them. Why should I love myself any less? I think it makes perfect sense to love animals and eat animals. I’ve never grown up on a farm, so I don’t know if I’d be willing to eat a chicken that I’ve gotten to know, but many people do manage to do so.

Having said that, I do agree that the baby turkey is adorable, just like most baby animals are.

12. I wasn’t implying that it didn’t, not in the least. To the contrary, I am happy for vegetarians and their acute awareness of the issue — and perhaps affect those at the opposite end of the spectrum who have very little awareness.

Then maybe we can all meet in the middle and say “wow this is so much better!”

13. lisaLASSIE says:

thanks for putting that information here.

14. I think it is just perspective of the relationship — we name our chickens and cows, and I think they are all cute and hilarious to watch. I feel like I am being extra nourished when I eat them because I knew them, and I gave them a good life.

All animals have a sense of what their role in life is — it’s called instinct, and it’s the circle of life. Nothing lives forever.

15. A very good post, belphebe.

16. Tofuturkey’s awful, I would heartily suggest the Harvest Loaf? I forget the brand name but they’re great.

17. Field Roast, especially the mushroom.

18. Agreed. We have the margin, as a civilization, to treat our animals humanely, we just don’t.

19. kallisto73 says:

Very difficult topic. I stopped eating meat years ago because of the fact that I cannot make myself eat a living being that was raised (under mostly unspeakable conditions) just for my eating it. However, I do not discuss this with other people and do not debate the topic because it is my own personal view. And when I am a guest, I do eat the meat offered, and I like it.

20. Blue Footed Booby says:

There’s ongoing research into growing meat that’s unattached to any animal, kinda like how they’re working on growing organs for transplant. I don’t actually have a problem eating formerly living creatures, but if I could avoid it without giving up meat that’d be pretty fantastic.

As I understand the meat grows just fine, it just has a texture most people find creepy because it doesn’t have connective tissue and that sort of thing.

21. I agree, Shelley. I eat very little meat – it’s too expensive for a start and I can’t see what’s to go overboard about anyway – and always try to identify the humanely reared and killed meat that I do eat. Meat eaters will always exist – animals wouldn’t be reared in anything like humane conditions if they weren’t used for meat at the end of the day. I’m not saying that’s either good or bad, it’s just how it is. We need to work on the humane aspects and stop these barbaric practices.

22. It’s the connective tissue and stuff (especially gristle) that I can’t bear to eat, so bring on the lab-grown meat, I say. Pace my post above, it’s unlikely that animals will be humanely reared and killed if they cease to have economic value, and we need to address that issue along with cutting down our meat consumption. However, if the lab-grown texture’s creepy, they will probably be used for meat for a while yet.

It’s horrible to love animals and want to see them treated well but have to step back and take an objective view of their likely treatment in a meat-free world, but I think that’s how it must be.

23. crashnandicoot says:

I adopted “Clove” through Farm Sanctuary. They’re awesome. I have not eaten meat since I cooked a turkey all by myself 10 years ago. Trying to brace myself against the counter and thusly flinging the frozen neck across the room. My elderly cat got that whole turkey. Reading abotu Clove and her personality (shy, sweet, friendly, and calm), I cannot imagine eating her. Then she would be dead! When I can have a perfectly delicious quinoa salad or any number of things. I can’t fathom this. Happy Thanksgiving, Clove!

24. Hillary Rettig says:

Because you’re not an *obligate* carnivore. No one needs to live and die horribly so that you can be fed.

25. Hillary Rettig says:

Kar, we’ve had good results with Tofurky. Secret is lots of basting.

If you’re talking nutritionally, I would agree – it’s a typical processed food with lots of sodium. But I do think it tastes good when well prepared.

26. Hillary Rettig says:

I understand that you might have been raised to see nothing self-contradictory about first liking and nurturing, and then killing, certain animals. (“Certain” because you probably wouldn’t kill a dog you liked and nurtured, the way you do chickens and cows.) Many good people have been raised that way. But the day will come when the illogicalness of that viewpoint will be very apparent to everyone. And it’s going to come soon.

The truth is, regardless of your projecting your sense of “their role” onto them, animals, like us, just want to live their lives in peace and without torment. And they don’t want to die, not even to serve as your meal.

btw, as you probably know but others here may not, the vast majority of the animals who are killed for food are, in fact, “cute babies” who get to live only a small fraction of their natural lives: http://www.animalaid.org.uk/h/n/YOUTH/farming//1957// .

27. ^ yup.

28. Interesting.

Baste with what? Vegetable broth? A little tomato juice? Oil?

29. You’re right: they don’t need to die horribly; they can die humanely. (animalanely?) I need to make a better effort to research how the creatures I eat were killed,and to choose to support facilities that treat the beings with respect before they are killed. Thanks for the reminder.

I do understand that some people have issues with eating creatures that were once alive. I occasionally research alternative protein sources, but so far I have not found anything palatable (to me) that I can substitute. Some day, maybe I will. For now, I continue to consume formerly living creatures.