Pink. Armadillos. In. Argentina.

Cuteporter Nicky B. spotted this on Boing Boing. “Just in case you guys hadn’t been alerted about this already!”

Uh, no, we hadn’t. WHAT IS GOING ON HERE?

And Wendy M. wrote in to add: “It has a ‘butt plate.'”

Photos as seen on Science News!

1. Cambridge Rat Mom says:

Pretty in Pink. What a handsome little dude.

2. Eet is so cute! An excellent Nosevember post.

3. OMP (oh my pig!) That is by far the cutest and weirdest thing (in a good way) that I’ve seen lately. What a cutie pie!! XOXO – Bacon

4. Just another reason to Not Mess with Texas! Even the little critters are “tough”.
    Pink Cutie!

5. I am skeeved.

6. Mary (the first) says:

Yeah, me too!

7. Ditto. Looks like a giant beetle of some kind. Perhaps related to the cockamouse of How I Met Your Mother fame…

8. crashnandicoot says:

Gonna have me a bad dream tonight.

9. Unfortunately, not in Texas. Argentina, according to the article.

10. Had too many Mochi balls last night. The Science News header did me in.

11. Oh, my bad…..thought these guys were from Texas. It would be nice if I could ready correctly. :(

12. I am trying really hard to see the cuteness. I’m trying, people.

13. Mary (the first) says:

Yeah, cross between caterpillar and shrimp. “Cute” wasn’t my first thought. Glad CO included them, though, it’s always fun to see some new critter!!

14. Catwhisperer says:

I was on board until I saw the giant claws in the last two pix. Too much like mole feets — bleeeeccchhh!

15. Smartypants says:

Yes, I’m afraid he looks like a giant silverfish to me. But I’m sure his mom thinks he’s adorable :-)

16. I was thinking shrimp, but yeah. I agree.

17. Hugebody McTinyhead says:

Pink fairy armadillo… what, we’re letting 7-year-old girls name animals now?

18. I think if we let more seven year olds name animals, the environment would be in better shape.

19. Hurrah.

20. I have heard of these! So, so weirdcute!

21. Is it an albino?

22. Nope…it’s a pink fairy armadillo. More info at the Science News link under the pics :)

23. Sharon Wilson says:

BUTT PLATE! A little late for ‘Tocktober, though…

24. crashnandicoot says:

Did anyone see the movie “Naked Lunch”? I think it was a Tarentino film, very weird. A typewriter was growing something that looked like the critter above on it. Very disturbing. (BUT SOMEHOW FASCINATING.)

25. It was a David Cronenberg film.

26. Is it just me or does it have glass fingernails?

27. This is the first time I’ve ever seen the description butt plate.

Sounds like either a haute couture concept from Paris or the latest school yard dance.

28. The IDEA of a pink armadillo is cute but the execution needs work! Too weird and creepy for me.

29. It kinda reminds me of a bug… :-/

30. sabrina rose says:

No one has mentioned the adorable feathery butt ruffle!

31. Like a bedskirt!

32. 月ノ Tsukino Sara says:

o my! now when i see shrimp i will think of this lil QT – sooooo cute! OC indeed :D squee! ps never knew they had buttplates !