THIS JUST IN: Finland Owl Rescue ACTION!

This just in from Cuteporters of the North, O & J at our northernmost Cute Outpost Bunker in Helsinki. (Scurries to Google Maps.)

Here’s a link to a Finnish news story about a northern hawk-owl (Hiiripöllö) that was found swimming in Lake Tuusula. (Another link here.)

pollo2
“It had apparently fallen in by accident, but luckily a man in a kayak happened by and picked it up!”

pollo3
“The poor bird tried to make its way inside the man’s life jacket for some warmth. It was then taken to shore at a nearby museum, and a museum guide took it home to dry overnight. The next morning all was well and the owl was released back into the wild!”

pollo41
“PS- More bunlets, please.” Also from Liisa Å. and Tiina M. Photos and big-time resqte ACTION by Pentti Taskinen.

Comments

1. WHO DA MAN (or Gal) !! Hurray for the Kayaker

2. Yea!!!
    The first picture quietly screams ‘help”… the rest,”thank you”

3. YAY for resqte! Many thanks to awesome kayaker for rescuing owlster.

4. Love a good rescue story! Thanks, kayaker! What an experience that must have been for you. :o

5. 260Oakley says:

“Owlberg right ahead!”

6. Bless his soul – both the owl and the rescuer.

7. Poor sweetie! What a perfect happy-ending story.

8. Blue Footed Booby says:

Man, that’s a lucky bird. The fact that the kayaker didn’t need stitches is proof Mr. Owl was exhausted and probably wouldn’t make it too much longer before hypothermia took its toll.

9. Bravo for compassionate kayaker who rescued that pretty predator from his/her predicament!

Now I simply must find me some friendly fowl I can name Hiiripollo and Tuusula – those names are simply awesome!

10. Pentti is a male name, so man.

11. OK, I always enjoy Oakley’s posts but now that Celine Dion song is stuck in my head.
    Thanks. :D

12. Indeed! So glad the story had a happy ending for all involved.

13. I’m afraid of owls, but if one tried to get inside my jacket for warmth . . . awwww, man. *sniff* Glad the birdie is OK.

14. SlaveToCat says:

I want to be a Swan when I grows up.

15. AWWWW…..I wish I could read Finnish! What a sweet story, I just want to hug everyone involved, the owl included! :)

16. 260Oakley says:

Sorry about that. Maybe you could picture the owl standing on the prow of the kayak with his wings spread out, shouting “I’m the king of the world!” That might drive La Dion out of your head.

17. I love happy endings :)

18. hehe .. Thanks .. my ability to read Finnish is nill

19. tiamatsdg says:

This story made my day.

20. Glad someone was there to help.

21. LeAnn Kaattari says:

My people!

22. I apologise on behalf of Québec for inflicting her on the world.

23. I wish I could read the whole story, I’m curious how the poor owl ended up in the lake in the first place. But for sure if an owl wanted to cuddle up inside my jacket I’d be the happiest woman in the world. I love owls!!

24. Google translator roughly says the owl was on a long hike (journey, maybe migration?) and got tired then tried to land in the lake? maybe the owl got lost or mistook the lake for land. I read their eyesight is better at night.

25. Smartypants says:

“Whooo” is an awesome rescuer? Pentti the kayaker! (sorry, couldn’t resist). This whole story is full of WIN.

26. I take it there were no photos of the jacket moment. I’d pay to see that! Bless you Mr Finnish kayaker.

BTW Welcome to the Cute men of CO. We’re putting together a coffee table book (right Brinke, Crazy Pants etal). Would you like to feature? We don’t pay you of course, except with bucketloads of screaming adoration by slightly older ladies (for example I’m in my early 40s) from the mystical land of Squee.

27. Jamin is going to be in that book, yes?

28. SlaveToCat says:

Hello Mr. Owl, I’m Matt Lauer and I have just one question for you: After your ordeal at sea exactly, “How many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie pop? “

29. SlaveToCat says:

if you google the kayakers name “Pentti Taskinen” you will get a bunch of images of him and a couple of the owl snuggling the life jacket. Looked like a cloudy foggy day where the sky and water were the same color and blended together.

30. Yikes. I Googled the name and got a few photos of him and the owl…plus a few pics of some ladies who, um…well, they looked…OK, let’s go with “lonely.” 8^o

Probably safer to Google the name at home in an incognito tab or window. I’m just sayin’.

31. Paula Gómez Gómez says:

Some of you wanted a translation. Here’s a quick one:

Pentti Taskinen who had been canoeing on the first weekend of November saved a tired hawk owl from the water.

“I was canoeing in Tuusulanjärvi and I saved the fellow from the picture from the water. I took it to the Halossenniemi museum to get warm and the friendly Jenni took care of it so it could get warm. She promised to let it go in the forest.”

This year there’s been a lot of hawk owl migration. The owl might have gotten tired while flying and therefore ended up in the lake.

Taskinen told that the owl recovered well from its swimming trip: “The owl was freed into the nature after it had gotten dry and all freshed up. The owl flew into the woods.”

Read more about hawk owls’ migration from the Suomen Luonto (Finnish Nature) magazine which will appear on the 15th of Nov! Subscribe >>

Pictures: Pentti Taskinen

32. rescue gal says:

I couldn’t find the snuggling owl. Here is hoping C.O. will find them and post them!!

33. SlaveToCat says:

If co allows it here is the web address http://www.vantaansanomat.fi/artikkeli/264359-mediahitiksi-noussut-pollo-sai-lammon-espoolaisesta-kainalosta-%E2%80%93-katso-kuvat

No ladies pictured here. Large ads for Ikea type stuff but the article is a bit below the ad banners for kitchen and cars.

34. Who?

35. awesome, good thing the kayaker was there, what a pretty bird.

36. rescue gal says:

Thank you!!! Sweet thing is so teeny tiny!!

37. The thought of any rescue animal trying to snuggle in my jacket for warmth makes me happy! (This would make a good children’s story told from owl-point-of-view. Get crackin’ someone!)

38. A distinguished looking older gentleman with a “Liam Neeson in Love Actually” kinda vibe… IMHO, includible in the “Men of CO” book/calendar.

39. There was a thick fog so it’s possible it couldn’t see the land. Or some think that crows chased it to the lake.

40. He is not the rescuer himself, he is the person who happened to be near on the beach and Pentti gave the owl to him to get it to warm sooner. They were visiting a museum and the guide there put it in front of a fireplace and took it later to her home to recover a bit more. (Btw I don’t get any “that kind of” pics…)

The museum happened to be the home of a very famous painter who was known for his appreciation of nature. http://web.tuusula.fi/halosenniemimuseum/index.tmpl?sivu_id=3632

41. I would let any rescue animal that is small enough to fit inside my jacket to snuggle up to me for warmth as well, 6rabbits :D

42. I love happy ending news of rescue.

Kudos to kayaker and god bless both!

43. I laughed out loud.

44. Awww. Love that pic of the owl trying to worm his face into the guy’s coat.

45. Great story and wonderful pics but um, kayaking in Finland in November? Not for a million mugs of hot coco.

46. You’re a wee slip of a girl, Vanessa.

47. Great ending and luck owl. At our farm the red shouldered hawks teach their offspring how to hunt for bullfrogs in our front yard pond. Some times the kids dive into the water instead of getting the frog. Always funny as the parents fly away and we have logs in the pond so they can get to the shore and out safely. We’ve never had to rescue one yet.

48. Catwhisperer says:

I’m not sure he was the FIRST nominee for Men of CO, but definitely one of the top contenders. :)

49. Smartypants says:

Oh yes, I remember him – so handsome!

50. Smartypants says:

Thanks for posting this!

51. Oh my! I’ve never seen him before. Thanks for the link. I think he may get himself a double page spread!