Mom Taxi XV: Peaches

“Hello! My name is Peaches. I’d really like to be on Cute Overload because I’m celebrating adopting my hoomin and photo taker Erica B. 35 years ago this month.”

Consider it DONE, Peaches!

10231733664_d88109f754_h

Comments

1. that’s so awesome xox happy adopting day to you.

2. Kari Callin says:

Why, you’re just a spry spring chicken, Peaches! Happy adoption month! :D

3. Aw, how sweet!

4. I guess turtles/tortoises and parrots are the two lifetime pets (since not many of us own our own elephant; unwieldy). They’re as likely to be reading that rainbow bridge essay about us as we are to read it about them (um, if they could read). I question the decision to use up a Roman numeral in the “Mom Taxi” series on something that’s clearly not a mom. Is there an “animals on things” series (to generalize the “Maddie On Things” specialty) that this could have been part of?

5. sabrina rose says:

Congratulations, Peaches! You are a lovely tortoise and don’t look a day over 20! I hope you were given something especially delightful to eat to celebrate your adoption month.
    I don’t know too much about torties as pets; may I ask if you hibernate through the winter or if you live mostly outside in the garden? I have read that sometimes British people like to keep a tortoise in their gardens, perhaps to control various worms and bugs??

6. Congratulations Peaces and your hoomin! Remember to take good care of her, hoomins tend to become a bit forgetful and slow as they age. And don’t forget to take her to the doc for her yearly check-ups! :)

7. Mary (the first) says:

Congratulations to both Peaches and her hoomin, Erica! Obviously, a match made in heaven!

8. There is an astonishing range of things that are classified as mothers, Michael. Who are we to determine to whom and to what an animal gives its heart? ;)

9. Tortoises are far less common than they used to be over here, Sabrina. Import of tortoises was, thankfully, banned about 20 years ago, because of the number of fatalities, as they were often imported during cold weather, and under conditions that were less than ideal. I used to have tortoises as pets and they are lovely little things, very entertaining and easy to keep. They do hibernate and we used to put ours into a box of hay indoors. I don’t know about the bugs and worms, though. First I’ve heard of it. We try to attract hedgehogs to keep the slugs and snails down.

10. :)

11. whawhawhatsis says:

Happy togetherness day, Peaches! I hope you have many more happy years together.

I used to work with a man who had adopted a tortoise many years earlier — a variety now illegal to adopt, but he’d had him so long he was grandfathered in — and the hoomin was going to have to specify in his will which family member would get to be owned by the tortoise next since it would outlive him by many years. Now THAT is a lifetime pet!

12. Slowest. Ride. Ever.

13. sabrina rose says:

Thanks for replying. I confess that rather a lot of my knowledge of English customs is based on books by Agatha Christie and other writers of “cosies.” Some of them mention keeping a tortoise who hibernates in winter at “the bottom of the garden.” I did wonder about the cold and wet climate. One of my favorite children’s story books is “Miss Jaster’s Garden” which features a charming hedgehog, but the part about eating snails and slugs was left out!

14. Smartypants says:

Yay Peaches and Erica! 35 years has gotta be the longest pet/hoomin relationship yet on CO – maybe we need some African grey parrots to weigh in?

15. Good Lord how awesome that someone has looked out for this shelled companion for THIRTY FIVE YEARS.
    I just love this post and photo. Well done and thank you. And I wish you many more happy years together.