Giving Thanks 2 You, Nicole!

“This is a Blanding’s Turtle, a threatened species in Ontario and all over the Great Lakes basin. Many are hit by cars as they cross busy roads. I found this one on the middle of a road and carried it to safety. He peeked up at me with a wonderful ‘smile’ on his face and seemed to be saying thanks! Today is Canadian Thanksgiving Day so I thought this photo was a perfect way to show it.” – Nicole D.

Turtle Aug 2013

Comments

1. Yay Nicole!!!!
    Happy Thanksgiving to our awesome Northern neighbors <3

2. Happy Thanksgiving!

3. Thank you, Nicole!

4. Well done Nicole!

Now, somebody needs to speak to this Blanding guy about taking better care of his pets!

5. Happy Thanksgiving, Canada!

We’re thankful for such wonderful neighbors up North… and their pretty yellow-jawed turtles!

6. You’re a true hero!!! Experiments have shown that the typical drivers actually aim for turtles on the road and YOU saved him. I guess some kind people still exist!

7. sabrina rose says:

Such a handsome turtle, given aid in his hour of need by a very kind person. Three cheers for you both!!!

8. Killer Klown says:

Hunh. I suppose this works.
    I mean, down here Thanksgiving is associated with Nosevember anyway…

9. Cambridge Rat Mom says:

Blanding’s are struggling from habitat fragmentation, which explains why there is a small pocket of these lovely creatures in Massachusetts (where I live). So, on behalf of Massachusetts Blanding’s, thank you for saving this lovely terrapin. It takes them 14-20 years(!) to reach sexual maturity, so you did this species a huge favor!!

10. That cannot be true. It just can’t. Nope, no how, no way. We all swerve.

11. I don’t believe it either!
    Some news channel did a test this summer with a fake turtle, and the majority of people either swerved or stopped to move the turtle to safety. Course, I guess WHERE you do the test might matter…

12. e z reader says:

Hurray for the rescue! Blandings Turtles live in an area of Nova Scotia too. They make me think of Blandings Castle (P. G. Wodehouse) and the Empress of Blandings, also, I am sure, the epitome of cuteness, in pig form.

13. Yay, I knew it! That’s all I need to know, case closed.

14. Mr. Blandings is building his dream house…he’ll get back to you. *wonders who will get this*

15. Smartypants says:

Yay Nicole! He really does seem to appreciate the lift.

I always keep a couple of old towels in the trunk for turtle toting.

16. Smartypants says:

*Me! Me! (waving energetically).

17. Towels for turtle-toting? How totally tremendous!

18. Proud of you, Nicole!