Move Over Grumpy Cat, It’s Derpy Bun!

“Buckwheat has a health condition called ‘Head Tilt’ which left his head at that jaunty angle after an infection messed with his balance centers. But 2 years later he’s adjusted just fine.” -Wendy Z.

10160609006_9dec28b3ed_c
Bunny fostered by Elise M. from the Red Door Shelter in Chicago. Photo by Nicole M.

Comments

1. What a sweetie-pie! I feel like that all the time, Buckwheat–no balance centers!

2. Heehee, I love him!!

3. animal lover says:

QUTE!!!!!!!!!!! LUV HIM!!! well I luv all bunnies!!!

4. Yay Buckwheat! He’s a friendly and curious boy – just tilty.

Head-tilt can be caused by a parasite or an infection that affects the inner ears or balance centers. Many buns recover, and some get back to mostly upright, but others just adjust to a permanently wonky view of the world. I’ve known several tiltybuns – one long-eared loppy boy figured out how to pick up his draggy-ear in his mouth when he wanted to run. Sometimes these buns need a little extra help grooming their up-ear or moisturizing ointment in their down-eye, but many get along just fine.

We could learn a lot from how animals deal with adversity – they don’t wast time on “what-ifs” – they just get on with things.

5. SixFootJen says:

Does the tongue stay out permanently, or was that a delightful added bonus for this photo only?!?! I’m thinking tag this one as ‘cute or sad?’

6. I had a bunny that had a temporary head tilt due to an ear infection (damage was avoided because we caught it quickly. Hard to do with a bunny since they often don’t look sick until they’re practically dying!) Glad your bun is adjusting. CUTIE!!

7. I think the tongue is like a counterweight.

I’m not that sad about this sweetie, he’s got good care and a loving home.

8. Dog Lover says:

I have a chihuahua whose tongue stays out permanently, since she had the last of her teeth removed. It doesn’t bother her a bit. I think animals adjust amazingly well to things that we would consider handicaps or obstacles. Just another of the many ways in which they’re better than hoomans. :)

9. kittykat416 says:

Reading the description, I was sure I was falling for another NOMTOM tall tail, but it seems bunneh ‘head tilt’ is a real condition!

10. Is it “vestibular disease”?

Oh my, he is quite cute!

11. I am so glad your bun is living a happy life. Head tilt doesn’t always work out so well, esp. if it’s from infection.
    My precious little bun, Oreo, died from that kind of infection–the bacteria can be present without showing signs, until *pow* there is a problem. He fought for his life for weeks, with me giving shots and syringe feedings, and many vet visits. His health hadn’t been good when I adopted him 5 yrs previous and I guess his little body just couldn’t take it. It was one of the saddest periods of my life, and I still miss his cuddles and kisses. He was a real snuggle bunny without an ounce of disapproval.

12. Not only is it real, it can appear in other small animals as well. Some years ago, I had a rat with head tilt,caused by an ear infection. (He already had the infection when he was rescued.) It made him look like he was seeing things no one else could, so I named him Fiver, after the bunny visionary in “Watership Down”

13. oh gods, bunny vertigo! I’ve fought with vertigo on and off for years, and when it acts up, I’m flat on my back for 10 days or more, unable to open my eyes, and feeling like I’m spinning in 5 directions at once while falling (not an exaggeration). I feel so sorry for these poor little guys. How can you adjust to being tilted on your side? I’ve tried, the direction I feel like I’m tilted always changes!

14. Cute little guy. Glad things are going well for you all.
    My daughter had a bunny that developed this condition – torticollis or “twisted neck” or “head tilt”. He woke up one morning unable to hold his head up and he hopped madly in circles. The vet said is could have been caused by a number of issues – virus or genetic defect (but more than likely a virus in the brain) and he could not guarantee Bugs Bunny would survive. My daughter and I worked for many months on him (massages, exercises, lots of good foods) and eventually he recovered almost completely, just a slight tilt to his head. My daughter even wrote a paper about the condition for her 9th grade biology class. Sadly he passed away May 2012 but he lived a pretty full life after this happened – 4 more years than the vet expected.
    Just goes to show how lots of love and attention can help anyone (man or animal) live longer!

15. Nope – just a lucky catch by the photographer!

16. wendyzski says:

So sorry you lost your bunny-friend.

Yes, it can be very serious. My previous bun had chronic pasteurella, and a deep inner ear infection that caused her to roll was what set off her final cascade failure (tilting – GI stasis – too much stress on an overtaxed system – heart attack). She fought till the end but she was just too compromised after years of battling the pasteurella.

But little Buckwheat has been tilty for nearly 2 years with no real lingering issues.

17. wendyzski says:

*nods* That’s the technical term. He healed up just fine, except for the lingering tiltiness.

18. Marie Janes says:

Sooo much cuter than Miley!

19. I also have a permanently tilty bun and she has learned to cope wonderfully. She’s very loving and has a bonded bun to lean on when she needs support. Thank you to Cute Overload for featuring a rabbit with head tilt!

20. princess guinea and ariel says:

Reblogged this on Princess Guinea and Ariel.

21. awww, What an adorable crooked bunneh!

22. Yea for 4 more years! :-)

23. I am so glad Buckwheat is doing so well, and it’s nice to hear of other buns who have survived and flourished, too. :-)

24. have you tried Sudafed? Sometimes it’s fluid in the inner ear that is the culprit. Sudafed (or similar) will help dry it up and presto! no more vertigo (voice of sad experience).

25. I had a rat that went through the exact same thing. :( [[hugs]]