POLL + THIS JUST IN: Chickens. With Sweatuews!

[FWIW: Peering thru the massive CO Database Archive at Livermore Labs has located more than one CO-style spelling for "Sweater." You get Sweatahs, Sweatuews, Sweateuh, and Sweatews. And there may be more.]

This glaring discrepancy requires resolution. So, let’s have a poll! First, the Sweatuews! (The default spelling ’til we get poll results.) Why do this? We got this email from the staff at The Zip Yard in Winton, Bournemouth, UK.

“I work in a clothing alteration store, and we had a strange request last week! These chickens came from a battery farm, and had sadly lost some of their feathers.”

article-2443713-1883B6C600000578-435_634x625

“The cold and wet British weather is on the way, so we were asked to make some jackets to keep them warm!”

article-2443713-1883B90F00000578-86_306x423

“But we couldn’t just make them plain boring ones, oh no.”

article-2443713-1883C35C00000578-180_634x627
Hover text info from Mail Online.

Comments

1. Alice Shortcake says:

I’m transfixed by the design on the left in the first pic.

It’s a wishbone, isn’t it?

*clutches pearls*

2. Alice Shortcake says:

Damnation, RIGHT. The design on the RIGHT.

3. Well, it’s on the left from the perspective of the chickens ;)

4. Well, yes, but the other one is a heart, and chickens have hearts too.

5. Think of it like a kid wearing a shirt with a skull on it!

6. SuburbanPrairie says:

I’m just glad chickens are finally being provided the fashion and style choices they deserve.

7. SuburbanPrairie says:

(and what’s a battery farm? is that like a factory farm here in the US?)

8. Chickens. With jumpers (them being British hens, dontchaknow).

We may have achieved heretofore unbeknownst levels of redonkoulousness…

9. Battery farms are factory farms for egg laying chickens. It refers to the tiny cages they are kept in.

10. God bless these people. [snff snff]

11. I am diggin’ the wish bone design, I must say. Must be all the rage on the runaways this season!

12. I so want a Knitted or Sweateh tag!!!!

13. Katherine says:

The poll is WRONG!! It is Sweatuew, no doubt about it. If you’ll notice, the Sweatuew reference was by MEG, in TWO-THOUSAND-NINE, people!!!!

Standards are slipping here, and I for one am NOT HAVING EET!! [Eyes shift left to right...]

14. They’re like little aprons! Oh fer cryin’ out loud…

Does the dude look a little bit like the Baldwins? Resemblance, non?

15. sabrina rose says:

These *sweatuews* make me think of pinafores. So glad the hens have a back yard to play in now.

16. OMG, so totally agree, “Sweatuew”‘ is what it has to be. Why? Because it reads like a little kid would say it. And Meg knew that. Meg, people!! C’mon!

17. kibblenibble says:

I think it is “sweateuw.”
    *ahem*

18. Oh yes indeed, Katherine, you are right. I too was horrified as I cast what I KNEW was the correct spelling. Ah well, they (they?) say that languages are always evolving…sob

19. Hey guys, Rose here, the manageress of The Zip Yard, thanks for all the lovely comments! Valerie and Margot are delighted with their new attire and are the envy of every chicken in Bournemouth now!

20. 260Oakley says:

Oh, quit knit picking! ;)

21. I’m thinkin’ what you’re thinkin’.

22. This is almost as cute as Chicks wearing hats :)

23. What about ‘sweateu’? I thought it was supposed to be sweateu!

Also, I really think there should be ‘Like’ buttons alongside comments. So much of what you guys say is pure gold, and I want to ‘Like’ it; or ‘Me likey’ it *Heart* it, or *smiley face* it……Just sayin’…..

24. We USED to have like and dislike buttons, but apparently the “dislike” buttons caused some…controversy…n*ffing…er…something bad, anyways. It wasn’t pretty, and both buttons disappeared.

25. I agree! The “Meg-spelling” should be the one used on this site. I like it spelled without the “u” myself, but it’s Meg’s site, soooooooo :-)

26. Biting tongue so hard! That’s OK. Who needs a tongue? I have a keyboooooord (singsong)
    Biting keyboard. Argh.

27. Smartypants says:

Yes, I vote “sweateuw” too.

28. Smartypants says:

Congrats on your ingenuity! I think the little outfits look like art smocks (US term – I don’t know if different in UK). I’m sure you will get more avian customers now.

29. lisaLASSIE says:

Thank you kind man for rescuing those hens.

30. What awesome names! Of course I immediately thought of Good Neighbors (I forget the original BBC title) when I saw that the second hen is Margot. :-)

31. YES! IT’S “SWEATEUW,” I SAY!