‘Tocktober 1st /// 24 Hours Of ‘Tocks /// 8:50 am PT (Bonus Hour Post!)

“I have a newly-minted Doberman puppy whose froggy ‘tocks need to appear on CO. Her name is Ripley, as of this email she is 11 weeks 4 days old, and she’s a show prospect puppy. We’re hoping she’ll do well in both dog shows and agility trials.” -Laura M.

["Froggy 'Tocks?" Must add to glossary. -Ed]

TOCKSTOBER
24 Hours Of ‘Tocks continues…

Comments

1. falnfenix says:

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA there’s my baby. and yes, “froggy ‘tocks” needs to be added to the glossary.

2. Are her ears bandaged in this picture or is it some weird sun reflection?

3. I am pretty sure they are bandaged. With dobermans sometimes people will cut there ears to make them look pointed and pretty. Hopefully it was done by a vet and done correctly though.

4. As she is a show dog, her ears were cropped a few weeks ago. These are not bandages, and her ears healed very quickly. She is loved and cared for, so if you must criticise the practice please contact the breed club as they determine the standard. She wouldn’t have a prayer of titling in the ring with natural ears in the US. :)

5. Her ears were cropped by one of the best in the nation, and he is a vet. :)

6. As long as it is done correctly then I think it is fine. But I have seen and heard of people cropping ears by themselves and not doing it correctly leaving the dog in pain. But that isn’t the case most of the time.
    But anyway what an adorable dog!!!

7. WoolyBully says:

I’d rather she “not have a prayer or titling” and be allowed to exist in her natural beautiful state than have her lovely little ears cut for a totally unnecessary procedure such as cosmetic otoplasty. I’ve seen this go wrong so many times. The American Veterinary Medical Association opposes otoplasty for good reason.

Besides all that, she’s adorable.

8. I wouldn’t give a penny to someone like that. And thanks! She’s a doll. :) right now she’s attempting to kick a soccer ball and yelling at it.

9. This was a requirement for having her. We co-own with her breeder and she must be shown.

10. Sassypants says:

i find dog shows ridiculous. if you want to win an award, do something to win it besides paying a bunch of money for a dog. do agility trials because the dog likes it, not to be famous or win money or you fail at human hobbies or whatever the reason is. *shrug

11. rescue gal says:

My comment got stuck in moderation. I am glad your made it through. :)

12. If you read, we’re doing agility with her as well. :) I would like to try for a triple crown and get her titled with a rally championship but that may be biting off more than I can chew.

13. PS: the dog is drivey and will excel in a sport, but I won’t force her into anything she doesn’t enjoy. I didn’t buy her to boast that I spent X dollars on a dog, either. I would offer possibly being more polite in criticism in the future, maybe? :)

14. 260Oakley says:

Folks, there is a place to discuss animal rights issues, and a place to say “Awww, what a cute pup you have!” It’s my very humble opinion that CO is the latter.
    That is an adorable Dobbie who is obviously very well-loved.

15. thank you! i posted a LENGTHY response discussing the issue upthread, and i hope the mods post it, but thanks for the compliment. :)

16. Sassypants says:

I did read. I’m sorry you think it was impolite,but i just don’t get the point. my ego or livelihood does not depend on my pets, i can’t understand people whose sense of self depends on theirs. in any event, i hope she doesn’t flunk out of Yale.

17. rescue gal says:

I don’t think I have ever disagreed with you, but it ALWAYS the place to talk about animals rights- when you see something that makes you feel the need to speak up, it is the right time.

18. Sassypants says:

i certainly didn’t mean to make it a thing. It was just a stream of consciousness type post regarding dog shows and dog show people.

19. your opinions are absolutely valid, don’t let my responses tell you otherwise! i’m just trying to help folks understand, that’s all. i really wish my comments would make it out of moderation, as i’ve tried my darndest to explain why we opted for the dog we have in our care.

20. Sassypants says:

I know my opinions are valid. and quite frankly, no matter what you say, I don’t see a reason for buying a dog specifically because YOU want it to do agility or show. or buying a dog at all. my point is, dogs don’t care about blue ribbons or *winning* agility trials. that’s all human ego, nothing else.

21. “Dog show people” – how many of us do you actually know? I have show dogs… I suppose you could call me a “show person” – and my show dogs are also beloved pets that get dirty, go hiking, have fun with their friends, and do other doggy stuff. Most “show people” I know are just like me. In fact, being show dogs is such a small part of our dogs’ full and happy lives.

And trust me – if the dogs don’t like what they’re doing, they’re not going to be very successful. My show dogs *like* being shown. They see it as time with me, where they get petted by random strangers and get yummy liver handed to them.

22. okay, that’s fair to say…and i don’t wholly disagree with you.

however.

this particular dog came with a caveat that she is co-owned with our breeder (with whom we have an existing relationship), and we must show her. she’d also like it if we tried for sporting titles.

sure, i could go to the nearest BYB or puppy mill (no rescue dobes at our local rescue in the past year would have worked out in my household), but i wanted a dog from this particular litter (i love both of the parents, and wanted a dog they produced), and that was the agreement we made so i could bring her home. both of the parents are fully health tested (something necessary to ensure the health and longevity of the pups) and both parents have been proven to be exemplary examples of the breed.

23. moderation queue has eaten my big post. i’m trying to explain things. :\

24. I Love Dog Shows! West! Min! Sterrrrr!
    There, I said it.

Now. You ALL have excellent points. (watches hedgehog peeps run with that one)
    We all care about the same thing. Or we wouldn’t be here.

25. I’m sad for her cropped earsies, but I do love me some froggy tocks, regardless of the species or breed!

26. She is beautiful and i bet she is a little fire cracker at the moment. Good luck with her.

27. I think she is a beauuuutiful doggeh and her hoomin loves her. I agree with Oakley…much prefer CO to be a place of safety and snorgles. My 1 cent opinion (usually 2 cents, but its been a rough year.. :( )

I got one of my kittehs at a pet store and stopped telling people that because I would get ripped for it. He is now almost 17 and the bestest tabbeh evar and I have no regrets getting him from a pet store at all.

Your dog is wonderful falfenix and I hope she does very well at the shows. Ripley is an awesome name…your home will be protected against Aliens. :D

28. I do too! Crufts, Westminster, Save-a-Sato, whatever – any excuse to watch beautiful doggies strut their stuff… Of my five puppehs, four are rescues (a Golden and 3 Heinz 57 mixes) and the fifth is a pure-bred miniature American Eskimo. None are show-worthy but all are well loved… As are the pups owned by most reputable breeders and almost all people who show dogs.

29. Dobermans are dogs with a tremendous amount of energy–much better that their owners get involved in showing, or agility or rally if both the dog and person enjoy it than that they are left in the backyard alone and bored. If you are going to own a dog, as a responsible owner, you should make sure its needs are met, and if the activity is fun for both dog and owner, it is much more likely that the owner will keep up the activity.

30. whawhawhatsis says:

I got a kitty from a pet store once, too. I considered it a rescue, though. He was stuck in a far-too-small cage and had been there for over two months before I finally gave up and paid $$ for him just to give him a decent life. He also was sick and hadn’t had any shots, which cost a lot more $$ to get him healthy again. The pet shop owner didn’t care; none of the animals in his shop were healthy! I was very happy to learn he went out of business shortly thereafter. Cloud was a *great* kitty, we loved him dearly!

Sometimes there’s a good reason to get a pet from a store, just sayin’.

31. That’s slightly rude. Why don’t you save your temper for real abuse?

32. <3

33. Thanks for the nice post. I am glad you got to share your life with Cloud.

34. Do the Heinz 57 goggies like to play catchup?

35. WoolyBully says:

Understood- no unkindness intended. It’s a pity that the show rules in the US haven’t updated their guidelines to reflect the trend in the UK and elsewhere, where cropping and otoplasty are out of favor. I just think it’s a but unnecessary, especially given how beautiful these dogs are naturally.

36. Those are the best “froggy ‘tocks” I have ever seen! Soooo cute!

As for the rest, I think the best use of our outrage is to express it towards the breed club, as suggested above, with hopes of getting the standard changed.

37. thank you. :)

38. thanks…and you’re one of the few people who figured out the origin of her call name. most people assume it’s from Ripley’s Believe it or Not?

i keep meaning to get her an alien stuffie so she can kill it and live up to her name. :D

39. she’s CRAZY right now.

today, she decided that instead of eating breakfast she was going to chase the cats, and instead of eating lunch she was going to attempt to eat my shoes. the little brat. :P

40. Sassypants, dog shows are meant as one of the ways to prove that a dog fits the breed standard, and is worthy of passing on their genes. Good breeders will typically only breed dogs that meet the standard, and this is how they determine how well the dog does or doesn’t fit their breed standard. If this was a requirement to breed, we would quickly lose many of the bad breeders in the country. I think you don’t like them, because you don’t understand how they work :-)

41. Correct, BUT, drivey dogs DO love having fun with different sports. My girl LOVES nosework, but does she care about a ribbon? Of course not, how could she. But when you see how excited she gets at the words “Where is it”, you would understand why people do these things with their dogs. My girl would be MISERABLE if we didn’t work her regularly, and THAT’S why people that love their pets do these types of things. Most people don’t force their dogs into sports, but yes, if you enjoy doing certain things, you should have the ability to find a dog that will fit what you are looking to do.