Snail on the Rails

I’m a wandering soul, the horizon’s my goal
As I ramble the highways and railways
With my home on my back I just hit the road, Jack
And embrace my meandering snail ways.

I banish the thought to be tied to one spot
That would be far too stifling and humbling
So I’ll follow the sun and live life on the run
Or at least… Say, did you just feel rumbling?

Via Reddit. Before nuffing, please read this pre-nuff agreement:

1. Assume that the photographer moved the snail to safety after taking the picture.
  2. Consider that this rail line may no longer be in use, which is possible these days.

Comments

1. Mr. McSnalio should be toting a stick with a bundle at the end like a proper hobo!

2. Beautiful shot!

3. whawhawhatsis says:

I actually knew an old dude years ago named Mickey, who’d ridden the rails as a hobo with his belongings tied in a red bandanna hanging off a stick he held over his shoulder. Boy did this snailio take me back to old Mickey. He was one of a kind….

4. For all the Canucks in here: ‘The Littlest Hobo’!
    And thanks, NTMTOM, for the poem and pre-nuff-tive strike.

5. fleurdamour says:

Snail + hobo = Slowbo

6. SuburbanPrairie says:

3. Geddoff the rail, ’cause trespassing on railroad property (whether the line is in use or not) is a federal crime in the US… and if this pic wasn’t taken in the US, it’s still really stupid (as in dangerous) to be on a rail.

Lubs,
    SP ~ your friendly neighborhood railroad troll ;-) :mrgeen:

7. Since my baby left me,
    I’ve been on my own,
    Nothin’ to hold on to,
    No place to call my home.

Alone, I travel down the rails
    My destination, unknown.
    Until I halt this evening
    Twelve inches further from this morn.

– The Travelin’ Snail’s Big Book o’ Blues, c. 1937

8. Thank god for the agreement, cause you dang sure know where that might have went. I wish it were done on more of the posts here, if I’m being honest. And I am.

He needs a little stick with a wee little bandanna tied to the end. Someone with tech savvy, shop that in plz. kthnxbai

9. OH NO, I see a light in the tunnel perhaps way in the back?!? Move little slowbo move! XOXO – Bacon

10. I know it’s been said before, but: I love you, NOMTOM! :)

11. Love that Gizmo!

12. Not the greatest show ever made but I do remember it with fondness.

13. I’m guessing this is still an active rail-line because 1. the track is not completely overgrown with weeds, 2. the inside of the rail seems polished (as opposed to the outer edge which is rusted. 3. the rails haven’t been removed and the whole thing has not been converted to a “hiking trail” or “biking trail.”

14. I don’t know why but I’m expecting the Road Runner to come out of the tunnel pursued by Wile E. Coyote on a pump trolley.
    Beep! Beep!

15. YAY YOU!

16. “He may ride forever ‘neath the streets of Boston,
    he’s the [snail] who never returned …” !!!!

Et voici le backstory:

“M.T.A.”, often called “The MTA Song”, is a 1949 song [originally sung] by Jacqueline Steiner and Bess Lomax Hawes.

Known informally as “Charlie on the MTA”, the song’s lyrics tell of a man named Charlie trapped on Boston’s subway system, then known as the Metropolitan Transit Authority (MTA). ***The song was originally recorded as a mayoral campaign song for Progressive Party candidate Walter A. O’Brien.***

A version of the song with the candidate’s name changed became a 1959 hit when recorded and released by the Kingston Trio, an American folk group.

The song has become entrenched in Boston lore

17. Sometimes, during the course of your life, you may want to charge straight ahead to reach your dreams. But, there are times when you need to make speedy zip to the right or left to discover a better dream.

18. Hey, Fird, how have you been?

19. Wow, I hadn’t been here in ages and today I pop in for a look and there is Classic NOMTOM! What great luck!

20. Snail + Stooge = Slow Mo

21. Ask and ye shall receive!

22. Skippymom! Long time no see! How are you and the four kittehs? You missed the CO 8 yr old birthday party yesterday!

23. phred's mom says:

Not only HOW have you been,
    but, WHERE the heckavya been,
    Firdie?

24. Yaaay, mie! That is AWESOME!

25. phred's mom says:

Howdy, Firdie…this song was one of my
    favorites back in the day…waaay back in
    the day.

26. Oh…Ruby on Rails. I get it now.

27. Cambridge Rat Mom says:

Snailio is clearly look back to see if the train is coming so he/she can get off the track in time. That’s all.

28. And when the MBTA created a new card payment system, they named the cards Charlie Cards!

29. Matchingks! (The curve of the sides of the tunnel and the stripe on the snail’s shell.)

30. This reminds me of an oldie but goodie:

Peanut sat on a railroad line
    His heart was all aflutter
    ‘Round the bend came Number 9
    “Toot toot!” Peanut butter.

31. :)

32. The Travelin’ Snail’s Big Book o’ Blues, c. 1937
    Sweet :)

33. I have two of them in my wallet right now!

34. OH NO !!!!
    Was it awesome??
    The four kitties are very well, thank you. How are your ten?

35. hai guise!!! um I dun bin in Jax and let’s see…OH well there is a CO person coming here to visiter moi during the Columbus Day weekend (mid Oct) and we plan to go to St Augustine among ozaire things (NOPE not QoD although I would race across the nation on foot to go get her if she ever started on her way here) ….otherwise things have been somewhat not entirely quiet…One of four bridges across the St. Johns River has an owwie on it today and somebody employed with boats which tow other boats….is probably gonna have A VERY BAD MONTH…..is that ’nuff news? Do either of you have any thrills to spill? <3 Your Affectionate Servant, Fird the Birfle

36. SEE NOW THIS is one of the reasons why sometimes I feel a bit petulant when I write things at CO. NO KIDDING phred’s mom !! THE DANG MODERAYTOR MACHINE DUN ATE UP THE NOTE I WROTE TO YOU HERE SO PLEASE CK BACK TO SEE IT??LATER TODAY?? TOMORROW ??

ONLY TH E SHADOW KNOWs….(malevolent chuckle in background)

37. YAY phred’s mom!!!

38. Mary (the first) says:

I’m confused, though, don’t snails take their homes with them? Isn’t that the *whole idea* of being a snail??

39. Mary (the first) says:

I like the part when someone hands him a sandwich as he comes rumblin’ through. I always wondered why they didn’t hand him the fare, instead, so he could get off the train….

40. Mary (the first) says:

There might be leftover cake in the lounge, though.

41. *handing Fird Birfle a tall glass of limeade*

42. *mutters* YAY LIMEADE !!!! and is actually
    grateful and gulps it DOWN thirstily

43. puppy cucumber

44. also that detail wuz IN THE wiki article however I edited that part out figuring no one wd be interested and also for length …whaddo I know, huh??? <3

45. Whatta hoot, it is beautiful, and just as I pictured in my head!! Thank you so much. Gonna try and make it my background pic.

46. The ten are good. A couple of them getting old and skinny, but still good…

And yes, the party was awesome! Brinke did a search and found my first comment as ceejoe, so I now know that i’ve been visiting CO 7 years! :)

47. Yes.

48. NOMTOM, did you read Shel Silverstein when you were a wee lad? Your poem reminds me of some of the ones in “Where the Sidewalk Ends.” (That’s a good thing!)

49. I thought so too but I didn’t want to get “slug-ed” ;-)

50. Perfect! :-D

51. Lol, thanks! We liked the baritone ‘I’m Travellin’; here’s the much earlier and tenor version from the 60′s Littlest Hobo:

52. LOL, you are such a naughty girl…

53. I have a Charlie Card.

54. thelittlemyrmidon says:

Here’s Charlie on the MTA by the Kingston Trio: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VMSGrY-IlU

55. That rail line is definitely in use, the inner half of the tracks is smooth and rust-free. Railroad tracks are generally just rolled steel, so unless this rail was abandoned about a week before the picture was taken…yeah.

That said, the snail is no doubt safe and sound unless the photographer is a psychopath.

56. Nice! Well done!