We KNOW Who Started This Trend

Thanks to Cuteporter Andrew Y. who continuously has his finger on the pulse of Japan’s RocketNews24. We have this selection of cats.

In boxes.

(These first three look…familiar.)

cats1

cats14

cats15

cats16

cats20

cats21

cats22

Comments

1. I don’t remember how I survived before this website existed.

2. Yes to Gayle above!

And: This is how to catch a cat — didn’t someone here post that that’s how they should have caught the kittens on the train tracks in Brooklyn? LOVE. But I think the cat in the second photo might not be Maru, despite the very Maru-like pose, because there’s no little dot on the nose (yes, I know Maru too well).

3. If we knew why cats love boxes,we would understand more about the universe than we do.

4. Also, no magnificent floofy tail. Not Maru.

5. This is too funny! I love it.

6. Ha, yes! I was so fixated on the nose I didn’t even see the lack of tail! Good catch!

The notion of selective attention explains this, perhaps. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJG698U2Mvo

7. Also, Mugumogu never uses the flash. Natural light only. And the first photo isn’t Maru either – the furniture is wrong.

Imposters!

8. I love the tabbeh kitteh with the black feets who is chilling so hard in the crock pot box, haha. I also enjoy how he has customaahzed his box. One of my cats rips his boxes in much the same way. :)

9. Fact: The cardboard box was invented by a kitteh.

10. Yes, I thought so too (because of different fur pattern and colour, but it’s harder to tell sans face in the picture). Right on about the furniture!

I am SO reassured that I am not the only person paying such attention to Maru. I mentioned Maru in a lecture recently, and felt nerdy and disconcerted by the fact that of a lecture hall full of students, only a handful knew him. How can this be?!

11. Indeed. This is the best stress reliever I’ve found.

12. The orange and white cat who doesn’t quite fit in the box reminds me of our Henry: so determined to get his whole body in that box, even if it defies the laws of physics. Love cats in boxes pictures!

13. Shaz, you need to do what I do. At the beginning of each class, I show a short, funny, usually animal-related video. If Maru shows up a lot in those vids, that’s only right and proper. In fact, I think the first day this semester, we watched “Many small boxes” and now all my college students know (and love) him. I firmly believe that students learn better if they start off class laughing.

14. In the biz, it’s known as a “unicorn chaser.” See BoingBoing for more details.

15. O.k. unofficial survey folks. Does anyone actually break down & dispose of new boxes before they give their cats a chance to enjoy the boxes ?

16. Maru’s in the post, that’s the only thing that matters to me >:3

17. AWW :D I so want to cuddle and snorgle all of these kitties :D

18. Princess Fiona says:

Big cats like boxes too!

19. Clairdelune says:

Of course not, Mudbug! That would be failure to nurture and provide for your four-legged feline child. Punishable by law, I believe. ;-D

20. Clairdelune says:

Me first. Especially #5, the sad-eyed white kitteh — I can tell he/she is just waiting for me to snorgle.

21. Clairdelune says:

Great video!! Thanks. Love cats of all sizes.

22. Mary (the first) says:

Shaz and dgerish , why were there no people giving lectures with laughter when *I* was in college?? Why??

23. Mary (the first) says:

I don’t think it’s possible, is it? Wouldn’t any self-respecting kitteh jump into the box before the existing contents are even fully removed?

24. My cat has absolutely no interest at all in boxes or shopping bags. I think he may be a dog.

25. I have one bun who can decimate–or “customize”–a sturdy Fed Ex box in an hour. It looks like it snowed cardboard flakes!

26. Yes agreed the second photo is without a doubt not Maru. Obvious by lack of nose freckle, but before I even saw that I noted that imposter No. 2 was definitely not of Maru’s, uh, “stature”.
    Good catch on No. 3 also; Mugumogu’s house has a much more simple look, not so cluttered. And the ungraceful attempt that preceded the end result shown might I think be too awkward even for one of Maru’s box adventures.

27. Favorite at 0:43-0:47…destruction => satisfaction!
    (And BTW bigcatrescue.org is a tremendous rescue/sanctuary deserving of us cat-people’s support, in addition to having lots of awesome big-cat videos!)

28. YES! I might just have to do a Maru video. I show lots of fun and educational clips, but hadn’t found a pretext — I mean, reason! — to show Maru. But I will now. Awesome! :) And yes, if Maru shows up a lot, that IS only right and proper!

And “Many Small Boxes” is one of my favorites ever. I’m a media professor, so actually, talking about internet memes is COMPLETELY relevant! Woohoo! Can’t wait.

29. Stop by anytime! : )

30. This was an extravaganza of great images, good times! Thank you.

31. I can no longer leave boxes out for mine, since somebody always pees in them lately. Sigh…