And They’re Off!

Dizzy Lizzy is off to a fast start with Twirly Whirly a close second! Here comes Spinny Spinny on the inside followed by Merry Go Round! Dizzy Lizzy is trailing and Twirly Whirly has dropped out! Looks like Spinny Spinny is in the lead but wait, Derpy Dervish is breaking through! What an upset! Oh no what’s this ohhh Merry Go Round has pooped out. Aaand it is now Derpy Dervish, Dizzy Lizzy and Twirly Whirly for a photo finish!

Fave Frame:

Screen Shot 2013-09-09 at 10.32.09 AM
“I’m a long-time fan of your site! Enjoy the dancing baby ostriches!” -Susan Y., via Mother Earth News

Comments

1. What. In. The. World. Did. I. Just. See,

2. I’m the ballerina, look!
    No, no, *I* am the pretty ballerina!
    It’s me! I’m the balleri – LA DEUCE BREAK – ballerina!

3. Um, yes, that last one was supposed to be a period too. Got so dizzy watching that I couldn’t hit the right key.

4. fleurdamour says:
  5. It makes sense for a vulnerable young’un to constantly scan their surroundings.

6. Fav part is 0:39 with the wobbly run towards the camera!

7. BWAHAHAHAH! *gasp gasp*

8. We take a pause for station identification. *Splat*

9. Wha…I mean…why…the heck..? Brain fried by cuteness cannot compute the reason for this fantastic bit of redonk!

10. Terri Dunkley says:

That’s gonna show up on Redeye!

11. I’m glad you have a theory. I sure didn’t. They seem too young for it to be a territorial or mating display. It doesn’t appear to be mock fighting. It seems an odd sort of play. I don’t have a clue what they’re up to.

12. Somebody, please find some good music for that STAT!!

13. For the love of god why?

14. Love the hovertext nearly as much as the dancing ostriches. As for “Why?”, probably no more sense in it than hoomin children whirling around ….. because they can… and at that age they don’t get dizzy….

15. Hokay, THAT was crazy cute. And funny! Also, I can’t be the only one who find the mini useless wingettes flapping to be adorable… Plus, SPOTTY. Just sayin’

16. Absolutely the best of Cute Overload!

17. Dance of the Hours from Fantasia?

18. Anything but Yakety Sax is OK with me.

19. Much better than my theory, which was “some kind of abnormal brain development caused by malnutrition . . . “

20. The poop ‘n twirl was definitely the best part.

21. They’re obviously trying to figure out which direction the water goes down the drain in the southern hemisphere.

22. “NURSE!! We’re gonna need oxygen over here!”

23. Blue Footed Booby says:

I think it may well be spinning around for fun, given that ostriches don’t need to turn their *body* to look around.

24. This article by Theodore Roosevelt, in Atlantic Monthly (June 1918) talks about the gyrating or “waltzing” behavior. http://www.theatlantic.com/past/docs/issues/18jun/ostrich.htm

25. Sasha's Mum says:

98% hilarious-wacky-cute, 2% sad (coz you *know* they’re being raised to be meat …)

26. Sasha's Mum says:

Is there *anything* that can’t be related to a Monty Python sketch?

27. Sasha's Mum says:

I was thinking maybe Flight of the Bumblebee. (Flight of the Bumble-strich?)

28. Yeah, I loved that. “C’mon, twirl!” “Can’t, gotta poop!”

29. Don’t get dizzy? But that’s the point of spinning! We often played the “spin around until you fall down” game when I was a little’un.

30. Catwhisperer says:

Derpy Dervish – love eet!!

31. It looks like this isn’t a one time occurrence.

32. Looks like they’re practicing adult ostrich mating dance. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6Km2JyhW_g

33. I’m pretty sure they have just been sexed and tagged – see the blue tags on their necks? So probably more freaking out than dancing, but still cute.

34. petless in Puddletown says:

Thankfully, no.

35. Rixraxmarie says:

These birds remind me of some people I know….but they are far better dancers. (Who knew I could be made so happy by baby ostriches?)

36. Rixraxmarie says:

Concentrating, concentrating, poop, continue dancing!

37. Actually “brain worm parasite infection” was on my list too, but it seemed too unpleasant to share. But yeah, it does almost look pathological, which would be sad. However, at least two subsequent posts indicate it’s normal ostrich behavior. Which actually makes it that much more remarkable.

38. LOOK !!!!

It’s.

39. William.

40. SHATNER!!!! (JK Hilz :) )