THIS JUST IN: Kitteh Cat-astrophe Averted In Brooklyn!

BThanks to Cuteporter Julia G. for the tip. It seems two wayward kittehs now named Arthur & August were spotted Thursday on some subway tracks (the Fe-Line) in Brooklyn! No one knows how the little guys got there, but rescuers had to scramble to save their furry little necks! Over to you, Matt.

The service was shut down for about two hours; they were found near the B and Q stops located at Church Avenue in Brooklyn.

kittens30n-14-web

The kittehs were, predictably, hard to wrangle.

kittens30n-7-web

Rescuers named the pair, who were transported to the Brooklyn Animal Care Shelter, where they are safe.

kittens30n-8-web

Quoting the New York Daily News, rider Sandra P. said “The announcer said it had to stop to rescue some cats,” Polel said. “I didn’t mind. I wanted to get home, but I also wanted the kittens to be safe.”

kittens30n-9-web

All’s well that ends well. Finally!

kittens30n-12-web
Photos by Marc Hermann/MTA.

Comments

1. Over here they would probably announce it as “catnical difficulties” or something along those lines. =^-^=

2. Cutest inconvenience.

3. And people say New Yorkers are jerks!

4. The Original Jane says:

Don’t worry kitties, it happens to the best of us. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=no7xEmZramk

5. Stunbunny says:

What? They don’t have any empty boxes or plastic grocery bags in New York? I coulda wrapped this up in, like, 10 seconds. Faster if I’d had a hooman face, lying in a nearby bed with no cat on it.

6. So right!

7. My darling Stinky (RB) was found on the subway tracks, many years ago. The best, best, best cat.

8. PS: Church Avenue! Go Brooklyn!

9. They do? 8O

10. So glad they didn’t touch any rails.

11. petless in Puddletown says:

They shoulda toined left at Albuquoique.

12. Which one is Arthur and which one is August? I hope they both find a good home.

13. Just found the answer on NYCACC’s website – the black one is August and the tabby is Arthur. They also have this update:

“The two kittens rescued from the subway tracks last night were brought to our Brooklyn Care Center, at 2336 Linden Blvd, and have been dubbed Arthur and August. They’re approximately 8 weeks old and doing well, and are being transferred to an AC&C foster home, where they can receive additional care such as socialization and be further assessed to ensure their needs are met prior to being made available for adoptions. They’ll be available for adoption in a couple of weeks, after some much-needed TLC. In the meantime, we urge interested adopters to visit our Care Centers, as we have many kittens and older cats who need loving homes. We also encourage anyone interested in becoming a foster volunteer (for kittens or other animals in need) to sign up for an orientation at http://www.nycacc.org/Foster. Donations to help cats and kittens like August and Arthur, and the thousands of other animals that come our way each year, can be made online at http://www.nycacc.org/Donate and are greatly appreciated.”

14. Ha! I didn’t even see the black kitten at first. I had to scroll back through lol.

15. SlaveToCat says:

You know your ride is safe when the subway system hires kitties to inspect the tracts. There isn’t a defect, rat, or saboteur that this team can’t locate and neutralize.

16. It’s adorable, but I fear for the one human who was responsible for the shutdown, I think he’s gonna get his ass kicked…

17. …and a thump on the head for good measure.

18. Smartypants says:

Yay for the MTA Kitteh Wranglers!

19. That’s right in my hood! I had no idea. :)

20. I love it when people are awesome. good job.

21. beach2peak says:

Am so so impressed that the lines were shut down. Kudos to whomever made the decision!!

22. AWW :D I hope you will find another kitty or two or more, Theresa :D Maybe you could adopt Arthor and August :D

23. AWW :D I would adopt both Arthur and August if I could :D

24. I second what you both said, Puppi and Terri!

25. Some idiots do, Theresa :( but I DON’T :D

26. AWW :D

27. Peeps, peeps, listen. My cat Stinky, who some of you may remember, was found on the subway tracks. I hate to think of it, because I hate to think of how he got there. He was the best cat EVER. Full of personality and all kinds of amazingness. But he– and Arthur and August– may not have got on the tracks by nefarious means- there is a feral cat population in the subway tunnels. Sad but true. There’s a lot of rats and mice down there, and other garbage that they eat.

28. When it was discovered that there were kittens on the loose, they turned off the power to the rails so it would be safe for both kittens and rescuers. ^^

29. Thanks, Teresa. :D

30. i wouldn’t mind waiting to make sure the kitten were safe..thank you new york city for being so caring and kind!

31. AWW :D You are welcome, Theresa :D

32. AWW :( I understand, Theresa :( Still, we can be grateful that at least two little kitties were saved from a hard life :) I wish all kitties could have loving forever homes :)