It’s The Baby Cthulhu Show!

Ph’nglui mglw’nafh Cthulhu R’lyeh wgah’nagl fhtagn, kiddies! On today’s show, we’re going to build a castle in the Sandboxes of Madness, and later, Li’l Hastur the Unspeakable will show us how to drive people insane!

A baby octopus (Graneledone verrucosa) moves across the seafloor as NOAA’s remotely operated vehicle Deep Discoverer explores Veatch Canyon on July 20, 2013, off the northeast U.S. coast. Via Ashley H.

Comments

1. Holy smokes! I have never seen such a cute octopus! Totally adorbs!

2. The Adventures of Lil Cthulhu! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOHJUrcVdJk

3. That’s so cool! I like the little tentative tentacle reaching out to poke the Necronomicon! Fun!

4. He is so adorable! I love the big eyes, and the innocent look on his face…..I want to keep him!

5. I’ve always thought octupuses (octupi?) were really fascinating but never thought of them as cute…until now!

6. I have a totally irrational fear of octopi, but I have to admit defeat. This little guy is adorable!

7. Cambridge Rat Mom says:

Y’know, Mike, I once thought of putting the words “Ph’nglui mglw’nafh Cthulhu R’lyeh wgah’nagl fhtagn” together as a comment, but I didn’t know who would be interested. Now I know. Thanks for being.

8. He is saying “Welcome to my garden under the sea, in the shade.”

9. PhysicsProf says:

I was astounded that there are people out there who actually still know H.P. Lovecraft!!

10. This is the place. We do Dune, too. :D

11. WHO’S a cute little ancient evil?? WHO’S a cute little eldritch horror? :mrgreen:

12. PS: O R’LYEH?
    YA R’LYEH!

13. Tony James says:
  14. Octopuses is perfectly correct. The word actually derives from Greek, not Latin, so you can use an S rather than an I for the plural form. The more you know!

15. kallisto73 says:

*golf clap*

16. Amen. I get slightly depressed going to SF/Fantasy section in the bookstore now. Best to go home and re-read Simak, Leiber, Pohl and Asimov.

17. Love it!

18. Don’t forget A.E.van Vogt please, The World of Null-A is the first SF book I read, also first book I read in English!

I must say I got to the end of the book and said to myself:
    “I’m not sure i understand exactly what I just read but it was interesting” so I read it again and became a fan on SF and am to this day.

19. Tony James says:

Because it’s from the greek, sure the corrrect form would be “octopodes”? [/pedantry]

20. This is actually a real thing, or will be shortly – Children’s Cthulu:

21. “”Wow,” said Baby Boy Fluffy Bunny.”

Now THAT was wicked cool!

22. Yes, Asimov!! But don’t forget Clark!

23. Blue Footed Booby says:

The correct *English* plural is octopuses. Octopodes is correct for Greek, but we’re not speaking Greek, and it would be basically the only loanword taken from Greek that gets pluralized that way. Octopi has absolutely no basis but is so common it tends to be regarded as less silly/wrong than octopodes.

24. Blue Footed Booby says:

25. Readerlady says:

Hallelujah! Cute and Nerdy Are Us! I knew I found heaven on teh internets!