Ford Trux: Built Polar Bear Tuff

Just ask Steve Kazlowski, the photographer who took these photos waaaay up in the Alaskan wilderness, and has been doing so for 15 years. He’ll tell ya- his truck can take it. (He’s in the photos, too- did he have a camera on a tripod? Or an assistant?) And remember the old joke- whadya give a huge polar bear to eat? Anything he wants!

9536180320_b50dc8b503_c

9533394503_2532df1915_c

9536180528_ab2a7dcee1_c

9536180902_5fb6c7844e_c

9533394701_13b89e3324_c

9533393605_97cd2f432f_c

9536180624_cd43cb246d_c

9533393823_07a17f1d71_c

9533394413_f9588e7b4d_c

9533394153_b1542f4a69_c

9533393375_c83c8b851b_c
Hats off to Mail Online, natch.

Comments

1. Michelle in Michigan says:

Great ad for Ford Trucks!! Gotta love those bears!!

2. Awesome!

3. Man, I have such a hard time reminding myself that this is the only known species of bear that actively hunts humans for food. That shot of the bear sitting outside the driver side door in a big hump is too adorable. I wouldn’t know whether to be screaming in fear or joy at that point.

4. Blue Footed Booby says:

He’s obviously a young one. Reminds me of that series of pics of the polar bear playing with sled dogs.

I love his little smile. :3

5. Coffee Cup says:

I imagine it’s a little like Jurassic Park. He can’t see you if you don’t move.

6. Number 6 is now my wallpaper.

7. There’s a Gary Larson Far Side cartoon in there somewhere

8. Maybe Polly was trying to kill the vehicle emissions.

9. I know, right?! it’s like THE BEST photo EVER!

10. My paw goes up, a truck goes by
    It’s nearly 1 a.m. and here am I
    Hitchin’ a ride, hitchin’ a ride
    Gotta get some fish to nom by the morning light

I got no fare to ride a floe
    I need to get back to my ice chateau
    Hitchin’ a ride, hitchin’ a ride
    Gotta slide back home to groom my baby’s hide

Ride, ride, ride, hitchin’ a ride
    Ride, ride, ride, hitchin’ a ride

11. mindadale says:

Yup, yup. Like he’s stuck in the computer trying to get out. :)

12. I love the one of his butt hanging out of the back of the truck!

13. “Come on. I just want to cuddle.”

14. The “big hump” shot reminds me of my cat sitting under the bird feeder . . . .

15. Our wildlife professor showed us a photo like this, tourists in the back of a truck smiling at a polar bear reaching up to them, and said “this polar bear is trying to eat these people.”

16. What don’t those guys hunt? I guess you can’t afford to be picky when you live in the frozen north. It is easy to forget how aggressive they really are when you see pics like these. Bear sitting in front of the door like he’s waiting on food bowl is my fav.

17. Catwhisperer says:

Nicely done!

18. Yeah right!

19. There was. “Oh I love these things! Crunchy on the outside, soft and chewy on the inside.” :P

20. I am mesmerized by photo 4. I want to run up behind those immense haunches and wrap my arms around their corpulence and just squeeze and bury my face in the floof.
    In photo 6 I want to wind down the window and just kiss and kiss that face and those beans. Araaagh!
    Then I want to jump in the back of Steve’s truck and help Mr PB find snax and such and then snorgle then snuggle and snorgle some more.
    Hey what was that? They hunt humans you say. Um…..

21. lisaLASSIE says:

Enthusiastic applause.

22. lisaLASSIE says:

*says a sad goodbye to Vanessa*

23. emmberrann says:

Umm, Vanessa, there .might be a li’l problem with your proposed plan. You see, polar bears Eat humans, and it might not work out too well if you tried to snorgle the bear…

24. rescue gal says:

Please, PLEASE stop saying they hunt humans. They hunt for food. Their food is mammals and we are mammals, but they do not hunt for humans.

25. Awesome idea! Now its mine, too! Although #4 is most adorable.

26. twocityshibas says:

Is it wrong that your comment made me giggle? (Sorry Vanessa. Thankfully, it’s just wishful thinking and you will remain alive and well!)

27. Good point, it makes it sound like they roam for miles and miles, bypassing good “food”, looking for a human to eat. (Even though we are good with ketchup. :D )

28. I would be the in the news the next day because I totally fell for that.

29. Ok that picture of him sitting outside the truck on his bum, just waiting, nearly keeled me ded, but then the close up with the pawsies!! Yikes and plop.

30. CorduroyMilo says:

I adore these pictures! His other photos are spectacular as well. I wish I had a pet polar bear :)

31. Adorable photos! Sorry to be a downer but I have to say that unless people get serious about climate change and possibly even if, these grand polar bears are going to go extinct (I can share grim details but will spare). I was never eco and could never be preached to but that simple factoid has changed my views about things, a lot.

32. Toe Beans, Now available in the freezer section .

33. Yes, and sadly far, far away from polar bears. Or any bears for that matter. Probably a good thing. If I lived in the US my life would be so brief; I can imagine myself cavorting towards a grizzly in Yosemite looking for a hug and literally losing my head from a cute overload.

34. *Wondering to self* does Mr. Steve keep change of underwear in truck cab?

35. Got a Coke?

36. Killer Klown says:

Pardon me, would you have any Grey Poupon?

… What about back here?

37. I was planning on writing bear fanfic…revising the Hunger Games only with an all polar bear cast. So is that not OK now? :D

38. This is the polar bear version of dog treat puzzles…

39. mindadale says:

Vanessa, I’ve lived in the US my whole life and have never once just happened upon a bear. The most dangerous animals I see evidence of are of the reptilian variety and I have never been tempted to go chasing after them!
    You’d probably be okay. :)

40. or maybe it’s “Food Trux?”

41. Wherever you are, whatever shit happens to you, there is always some jerk with a camera who will take photos of it. Not that these are not adorable. The bear is so round and clean, he looks like a fat little cloud. Still, I would not want to have him sitting in front of my car and watching me … like this.

42. I keep telling people that, but no one believes me. “They won’t go extinct, we’ll save them.” What, in zoos? A living museum piece?

43. Smartypants says:

Au contraire, that sounds awesome!

44. har!!

45. Who says those guys at the Gas Station don’t wipe your windows anymore?

46. Indeed. I get really sad now just looking at polar bear pictures. Their future is too tragic.

47. Good evening Sir, custom control, please open the trunk!

48. I can’t stop thinking of the polar bear as a car mechanic. “What seems to be the problem, sir? Ah, yup, I see. Let me check the engine, first”.

49. And they produce Klick and Klack in the back.

50. If human wasn’t so good they wouldn’t can them and ship them all the way out there.

51. The book idea is awesome, that would be a great read. As for them hunting humans, well I am the person that would argue all day long that they don’t, not normally. Most of them are so big that even a good size human does not proved them with a lot of food so we are not their first choice. Like any predator, you have to have a healthy respect for them and what they can do even in play, but polar bears like most predator do not kill unless is for food or protection. Humans are the only once that kill for pleasure. As long as you keep a good distance between you and the bear, you are fine. Lucy a young female polar that one of my dogs brought home. Not kidding either he got out of the fence and came home with her walking right beside him. Never hurt me or one of the dogs, never even tried. For three years she would come by the house body slam it, her way of saying “hi can the boys come out and play? please”. Which is when I would let out the boys to go and play with her. Boys being my 13 dogs, who loved and protected her, and played with her as if she was part of the pack. And she in return never hurt them or me, and trust me there is nothing like see one of your dogs get slapped by a polar bear roll good seven feet, get back up and charge the bear again. They would do this for hours, it was great to watch. If I was sitting outside watching this she would come up and say hi, not once did she hurt me. Mind you not something I recommend doing ever, but after three years I trusted her. Since then I’ve moved but a good friend of mine has the dogs and Lucy still comes by to play, a few times a year. Since the bear in the pictures looks to be very young, about the same size as Lucy when she first came by the danger of the bear trying to eat the photographer are very small, that being said even at that size they are very strong, so even a small tap just as play would hurt like hell, or even kill.

52. Okay, just hang on a sec.

You had 13 dogs who played with a polar bear?

AND NO PICTURES?!

Sir or Madam, I hereby issue a challenge: prove you are not a liar and a cad! Provide pictures at once!