Don’t Have a Cow, Man. Have Three.

Holy three headed Greek mythological creature, Batman! Triplet calves! Warm up the defibbermathingy, we are not equipped to handle this!

9517542265_c5c3b34cff_z
“Farmer Jon Appleby got the surprise of his career one week ago, when triplet calves were born on his farm in Wirral, England.”

“I couldn’t believe it,” the 44-year-old veteran farmer told TODAY.com of the rare phenomenon. “It was quite a shock.” When the cow went into labor, Appleby stayed close by for the first two births, then left, assuming the excitement was over. He returned an hour later, only to find one more baby by her side. “We’ve never had triplets before.”

Twins are somewhat common among bovine births, triplets and quadruplets are estimated at approximately 1 in 100,000 births.

9520329156_700d2f70bc_z
Thanks to sender-inner Jennifer P. via Today.com

Comments

1. Thank goodness I’m the first…….. in line for the defribramathing-a-ma-jig!!

2. Congratulations! Thank you for sending in this article Jennifer P, I learned a lot about cows. I had no idea how rare triplets were and how common twins were!

3. No wonder her tongue is hanging out!

4. 260Oakley says:

Mom wins Triple Cown

5. “Hi, I’m Larry, this is my brother Darryl, and this is my other brother Darryl!” ;-)

6. Udderly fantastic

7. Darn it .. ya beat me to it ..

8. Kristen S. says:

So we still don’t know why cows have 4 teats. Seems like 3 would be more than enough. Goats and horses only have 2!

9. Smartypants says:

Maybe #4 is the “spare” to give the other 3 a rest!

10. Maybe because we humans would end up using them so much? I don’t know!

11. Wow! Poor momma must be exhausted. I wonder how you can not notice how big she was getting, since calves are pretty large babies!

12. Jenny Islander says:

Glad to know that multiples aren’t the cause for alarm that they are in horses.

And, of course, four teats, multiples must happen, d’oh! I never thought about it!

13. fleurdamour says:

Cowberus!

14. sabrina rose says:

Mom does look a tad tuckered!

15. She’s very thin, at least in the first photo. The bebehs were talking all the food! She does look a bit worn.

16. I believe cows will allow calves other than its own to suckle from them, so they may feed another cows children along with its own on occasion. Cows are a heard species so it would not be surprising if the “extra” udders were there to help cow moms share the load amongst themselves.

17. :-D

18. skippymom says:

snicker

19. World of Warcraft Tauren: ” MOO .. Are you happy now ?”

20. YAY GIGI

21. Agree .. Put thing had them packed in .. they aren’t small and then 3 on top of it ..
    All I can think of is one word .. OUCH

22. Lordy, how big did she get with those three in there?? Poor mama!

23. That is so true, DB :D On my parents’ farm, we had one cow who would feed another cow’s calf :D We also had one cow who had lost her calf but was feeding another cow’s calf and that calf was a BIG boy when he was shipped :D We also had a cow who fed an orphaned calf along side her own :D

24. All three calves have a mark that looks like the state of Ohio on their heads! Too cool!