THIS JUST IN: First Family Welcomes Second Puppeh (Updated!)

President Obama and his family have a new Portuguese Water Dog named Sunny, joining their other Portuguese, Bo. The official White House site says “In honor of Sunny, the Obamas are making a donation to the Washington Humane Society.”
@FLOTUS tweeted, “So excited to introduce the newest member of the Obama family—our puppy, Sunny!”

Updated! Where does Sunny rank on the list of the World’s Most Powerful Puppehs? Glad ya asked.

sunny-the-dog

sunny-bo-1

sunny-bo-2
Official White House Photos by Pete Souza + hovers via Whitehouse.gov.

Comments

1. Awww … soo cute!! I hadn’t heard this, so I’m very happy you posted it! :-)

2. It was breaking news!

3. Cambridge Rat Mom says:

I’m glad they have each other.

4. Heehee I was surprised when I saw that you had posted it three minutes before I commented … you just have to love WordPress, eh? :-)

5. The only thing like-able about the Obama’s.

6. Two dogs are easier than one – they get into mischief when they are lonely. And can we keep the political crap off here, please?

7. Agreed.

8. freetomato says:

T

9. freetomato says:

Gah! New iPad 1, freetomato 0. I was gonna say, this site is a safe haven away from the ugliness and hate of the rest of the Internet. Lets keep it that way! That being said, I demand to see that pup’s long form AKA papers!

j/k :)

10. AKC.

2:0

I give up.

11. Those goggies may be hypoallergenic, but man is their fur thick!

12. Ugh.

13. woofiesma says:

Oh, come on now – this is a happy place to talk about animals. Leave the sniping out.

14. Just hush up and enjoy the cute.

15. They kind of look a bit like poodles who have had haircuts.

16. There, there. (Pats freetomato on the head)

17. Oh, boy. Now the kitchen staff have to make _two_ miniature dogs for the White House holiday gingerbread house…

18. My photo interpretation skills are not working. What is that pink thing in the last shot? I’d say they’ve made off with a lawn flamingo, but please, tell me the White House does not have lawn flamingos.

19. Actually, it’s in the next-to-last photo also, less conspicuously, but I still can’t tell what it is.

20. I saw it. It is a dog toy, shaped like a flamingo. I think. If you look closely it has the black feet and pink body kind of like the flamingo Beanie Baby. Maybe that’s what it is?

21. Agreed. Like you said, all that political crap has nothing to do with cute animals or anything like that. Keep all bad comments to yourself and enjoy the puppehs!

22. Really? Here, of all places?

23. Oh! I think it’s one of those dog toys with no stuffing in it. My parents pup, Sadie, adores those (and so do my parents – when Sadie gets a hold of things with stuffing, it’s like a snow day inside …).

24. dolphin815 says:

Trolls just don’t know when to quit.

25. dolphin815 says:

Yeah, I’m not sure how effective the hypoallergenic thing is if there’s a constant temptation to bury your face in the floofiness.

26. Stressfactor says:

I am now just laughing at the image of lawn flamingoes on the White House Lawn. Man, someone on the White House Grounds staff should do that as an April Fool’s Day prank; it would be awesome!

Meanwhile, Bo and Sunny appear to be very happy with each others’ company. Yay for pets with partners in crime!

27. Yeah–now we’ll be treated to bogus stories about how they EACH have a private jet.

28. You are absolutely right about the need for that prank, Stressfactor. There should be garden gnomes as well. Many, many garden gnomes.

Love the photos, and Bo is obviously ecstatic to have a canine playmate!

29. More dogs for everyone all around!

30. Smartypants says:

Yes! And you know how some people put costumes on their lawn flamingoes/geese? They could give one a Lincoln top hat, and another one a George Washington wig! And maybe a couple of Secret Service flamingoes in dark glasses…

OK, you guessed it, I haven’t had enough sleep. Off for a nap now. :)

31. A surefire sign of dropping approval ratings. Quick! Buy a doggie! That will make us look like normal, ordinary people!

32. Athena's mom says:

Eye roll. Yes, I’m sure that’s what they were thinking. Asshat.

33. Athena's mom says:

Welcome Sunny! What a cutiepie!

34. sabrina rose says:

I hate to be ignorant, but is Sunny a male or female? Maybe White House puppehs in our future?

35. Stressfactor says:

Yes, because heaven knows it can’t be doggie love which many dog lovers succumb to. As with many things you can’t just have ONE!*

*Although in my case it is true I only have one goggie but that is because my current fuzzy housemate is of the ‘doesn’t share with others rather violently’ variety necessitating only one.

36. phred's mom says:

Yes, please, leave the political stuff off. I come here to
    escape it – all sides of it – and to get my qte-avan when
    needed. TUVM!

37. phred's mom says:

No, no, Smarty, you have a splendid idea there!
    Let’s start a media campaign, or whatever works
    these days!

38. phred's mom says:

Good grief, enough already with the
    knee-jerkosity!

39. I agree–good idea, Smartypants! I’m just not sure how to get the ball rolling…

40. I’ve been watching this thread closely—that will be QUITE enough with the political commentary.

41. “Today the Obamas welcomed the newest member of their family – a little girl (puppy) named Sunny!”

42. “Sunny is the perfect little sister for Bo” — I thought she’s Bo’s girlfriend. :D

43. woofiesma says:

E.a.Solinas – Shut up!

44. I agree that political stuff should be kept off CO.

I just think it’s funny that when the identical snarky comment was made about GWB back in February when Barney died, there was only ONE comment chastising the critical poster. Everyone else was oddly silent.

So you can hardly blame someone for thinking that turnabout is fair play.

45. Whoa, Brinke, breathe, man, BREATHE!

46. You all really took my stray idea and ran with it. I love it. I’m laughing till I cry. Yes, lawn flamingo(e)s and gnomes. In fact, considering how much the President has to travel, the Travelocity gnome should already BE there.

47. They are gorgeous, both of them!!!

The only gripe I would have is that both of them are from dog *breeders* – it would have been nicer to have adopted from a shelter. There are too many unwanted shelter animals out there…. ADOPT!

48. I think taking a stray and running with it is a great idea.

49. “If you want a friend in Washington, get a dog!”

50. Smartypants says:

Oh good, I’m glad it didn’t sound completely loopy!

We could use the White House petition page (I’m sure they would like a break from political petitions).

51. Smartypants says:

Agree! (and I would feel the same if it were the other side getting slammed) – I think CO should be a refuge where we can enjoy Teh Happi an’ Qte!

52. dolphin815 says:

Oh, you didn’t hear? There’s already some ruckus about how they’re both BLACK. Because, you know…they’re black.

53. I am sure the Obama’s would have adopted, but Malia is allergic to dogs (as I am) so they picked a non-allergic breed, a PWD (like I did). They are wonderful family dogs, (although I prefer the wavy coats instead of the curly ones like Bo and Sunny). The Obamas are to be commended for making a donation to their local Humane Society since they were not able to adopt.

54. It is believed that poodles descended from PWD’s; they are cousins. PWD’s tend to be stockier and less refined than poodles. Their muzzles and ears are shorter and their heads are broader. Another variation of their coat is straight and wavy; then these dogs look less like poodles.