International Homeless Pets Day, ees today!

Logo_with_Name_and_Register_UpdatedFrom California to Thailand and Kentucky to Kuwait, there are 25 states and 18 countries around the world holding events today for International Homeless Pets Day. Since 1992 International Society for Animal Rights has promoted this day to educate people about homeless animals and pet overpopulation. Check out the Event Schedule posted on ISAR’s website. This is big, really big. It’s been said on CO before and it is worth repeating, Shelter Puppies are the Best Puppies! (Kitties TOO! All the pets!)

Here are a few more examples of shelters holding special events in honor of the day:

Pet Fest, Missoula, Montana

Afternoon of Fun & Fur, Roanoke, Virginia

Open House (including Human Dunk Tank) and 50% off, Dearborn, Michigan

Dog-lick-Tanya-cute-Small
Image from Bonnie L. Hayes Animal Shelter, Washington County, Oregon.

Halp! The Alliance for Humane Action (AHA!) has created the cutest Spay-Neuter video evar!

Fave Frame:

Screen Shot 2013-08-14 at 5.16.21 PM

Comments

1. Today in Austin is the Back to School Kitty Kat Bash through Austin Pets Alive! It’s up at the Lakeline Petsmart and has adoption discounts! Wheeee!

And a bake sake, for which I made cupcakes (with sprinkles!) and chocolate chip cookies!

2. Victoria, Mom to 4 Rats and 2 Cats (All Spayed and Neutered) says:

Cute kittehs!

Couple of things though. Please everybody remember that pet overpopulation doesn’t end with dogs and cats. Shelters and rescues are overrun with bunnies, guinea pigs, ferrets, rats, etc. too. So be responsible with all your critters.

Also it’s important to note that the importance of spaying and neutering goes way beyond preventing overpopulation. There are some awesome health benefits to it as well, especially for the females with the prevention of pyometra (a life threatening condition) and the significant reducation in mammary cancer.

All of my furry friends are spayed and neutered and I think it was one of the best decisions I ever made.

Okay, I’ll get off my Soapbox now.

3. Gotta love that doggie leeck!

4. This is great — I hadn’t heard of this before. And Canada is included?! Hope you don’t mind, but I am reblogging :-)

5. I did not realize today was an International Homeless Pets Day. Thank you for sharing!

6. Linda, mom to six rescued bunnies says:

I don’t know you, Victoria, but you are my favorite person today! Beautifully written and so, so true!

7. Quiet Desperation says:

Ok, that was cute. Interesting angle that its a relief for the females to not have endless litters.

I was apprehensive to click at first because I’m still a bit traumatized from those Humane Society commercials.

8. Cambridge Rat Mom says:

Mom to two micro-chipped and neutered rescuef cats. Don’t forget the older cats and dogs They still have lots of love to give and they’re often overlooked. Take a senior home with you today!!

9. I hope so too that Canada is also included, tkmorin :D We also have spay and neuter programs for our pets :D

10. I know :D This lady, Marta Varga, rescued an 8 years old male ragdoll 3 years ago :D Mickey as he was called by the vet and staff needed eye surgery on his left eye (details are very gory so I wont say) and was lucky to keep that eye :D Now Mickey is a kitty who thinks he owns the house and acts like a brat :D

11. Of course, also remember that if all pets are spayed/neutered, then there won’t be any pets left. Some of us have to make sure there are cute little kitties/puppies/bunnies/etc. to play with!

12. There will still be plenty from the ones who slip through the cracks. Spay and Neuter!!

13. I love, love, love that video!!

14. I’m not sure how Canada fares in this struggle, but I’d like to think we do that all over the country! Thanks again for letting me reblog …. Hopefully it will help at least one cat or dog! :-)

15. Dog Lover says:

Victoria, please feel free to climb up on that soapbox any time. Your message says it all.:)

16. Victoria’s soapbox is the least soapy boxy ever!

17. Thanks so much for the links! We went to the L’Oreal Your Dog Is Worth It, Too event in NJ. Had a blast!

18. AHA! Fantastic video! Thank you!

19. Lucy's mommeh says:

Yeah, pyometra is horrible awful stuff that I nearly lost Lucy to. It’s really gross, so if you have a touchy stomach, you may not want to look it up.

20. As a Humane Society Shelter employee, we see all kinds of excuses why people will not spay and neuter their animals. The biggest excuse? ” I don’t want my cat/dog to miss out on being a parent like I did.” Gods honest truth. People are passing on their excuses to their animals. – le sigh -

21. summermixx says:

HALHBAHAH!!!

22. Victoria, Mom to 4 Rats and 2 Cats says:

Stupid typos. That should read “significant reduction in mammary cancer.”

23. Sorry, not a good reason. Please spay and neuter.