Mom Taxi XI: Ribbit?

Webbed thumb goes up, a frog goes by
It’s nearly bedtime and here am I
Hitchin’ a ride, hitchin’ a ride
Mom’ll get me home for my morning flies. (Apologies to Vanity Fare.)

“My girl Maria took this photo and started making up this silly song. I knew I had to send this to CO for the Mom Taxi files. I like how the lil’ guy’s eyes seem to be closing sleepily. I remember when we were kids we used to pretend to fall asleep on the couch just to get Mom or Dad to carry us to bed! Thank you for doing what u do so well. Cute Overload makes my day every morning!!!” -Joy M.

1. Cute, but…sexy rather than familial, I think. I suspect this is ‘amplexus’, the special anuran (frog/toad) mating-grip-o-death these critters get into. Males (who are are smaller than females in many egg-laying taxa of all sorts) often have specialized grippy thumb-like things on their feet for it.

2. Victoria, Mom to 4 Rats (and 2 Firebelly Toads) says:

Yeah, this is def. not Mom Taxi. These two need to get a room.

3. Lucy's Mommeh says:

Right up there with seeing rabbits at the zoo doing the same thing, asking Dad what they were doing… “Well, that one has a flat tire & the other one is helping fix it”

4. skippymom says:

We saw lions doing it and our mother said, “Oh, he’s scratching his belly on her!”

5. Ummmmm…WHAT?! 8O

6. Um… Rather than it BEING a baby, I’m pretty sure they’re MAKING babies.

As in mating.

7. Definitely hitchin’ a ride then?

*Shifty eyes*

Nostalgia trip – I love that Vanity Fair song. It makes me think of Summer (a rarity in these parts – just the odd day here and there; a few weeks if we’re very lucky), along with Mungo Jerry’s “In the Summertime”.

8. mollykubik says:

So right! Now I have to go listen to Mungo jerry again.

9. Not as good as Billy Don’t Be A Hero, but it will do :D

10. Aaaaahhhhh!!!!! I always have a sly sniffle when I hear that one. ;)

11. Casey’s right. Much better for the lineage if he’s not her son.

12. Blue Footed Booby says:

Has anyone else seen that picture from some science journal/textbook of a frog attempting to mate with a tennis ball?

13. Cambridge Rat Mom says:
  14. Blue Footed Booby says:

I never thought I’d say this but no, that is not the picture of a toad having sex with a tennis ball I was thinking of.

15. I don’t care what species they really are those ARE horny toads!! :lol:

16. OK, maybe not exactly a Mom Taxi but still a great picture! :)

17. Cambridge Rat Mom says:

Well, she will be a mom taxi if this all works out, right?

18. sorta. she’s gonna drop the kids off at the pool then boogie

19. Cambridge Rat Mom says:

It’s a sweet story when the facts are left out, doncha think? ;-)

20. Exactly! Innocence of childhood and all that…

21. fleurdamour says: