Lost in a Masquerade

This beguiling kitten wearing a black mask may look straight out of a Venetian masquerade ball or heading for Mardi Gras. But we know better, don’t we? (wagging finger)

“Oh, what I wouldn’t give for a holocaust cloak.”

“The adorable Miss Marvel, who just came to our shelter, Save the Animals Foundation. Love her mask! (I took the pic).” -Cathy O.

1. 4leafclover says:

Kitty, beware the R.O.U.S.’s!!

2. rodents of unusual snorgleability?

3. Yuri Bell says:

Stunning markings. The (wo)man in black.

4. Considering the kitteh is named “Miss Marvel”… hopefully isn’t misleading.

5. Taylor momsen

6. Goodwin Deacon says:

What’s a holocaust cloak?

7. Yes, I was too nervous to ask. I’m glad you did.

8. Absolutely gorgeous!!

9. Indeed :D

10. Dog Lover says:

Toe Bean Bonanza!!!

11. How could anyone possibly give up such a beautiful kitten!

12. You can read more about Miss Marvel here: http://staf.org/index.php/recent-rescues/

13. Her mask is even more dramatic in the pic there!

14. I do not mean to pry, but you don’t by any chance happen to have six toes on your right front paw?

15. Clairdelune says:

Quick, somebody, go rescue this gorgeous kitteh and love her! Kiss every one of her pink toebeans!! I would if I lived anywhere near that shelter, she would be home with me. OMG

16. What is a holocaust cloak?

17. Carol Jones says:

What in the world is a holocaust cloak? How can cuteoverload print the word?

18. I guess it’s a Princess Bride joke.

19. I just looked it up. It is PB, but some game player has set out a long description of it on yahoo, and how many levels a blazing full-body cloak lasts for. I’m not a game player so I glazed over, apart from the interesting bit about “Creation of a Holocaust Cloak requires the blood of a Salamander, cloth knit from a Fire-Giant’s hair, and an additional 1000 g.p. worth of materials to be determined by the Dungeon Master.” A holocaust was originally a burnt offering to a god, but it was appropriated to describe the Nazi atrocities.

20. The more you know… the more you Bing! Dangit!”

[Middle English, burnt offering, from Old French holocauste, from Latin holocaustum, from Greek holokauston, from neuter of holokaustos, burnt whole : holo-, holo- + kaustos, burnt (from kaiein, to burn).]

Interesting that all variations stem from the original in Hebrew.

Thanks for enlightening me!

21. PandaGrrl says:

I wish to take ALL the calicos home with me! Come to me, my pretties, yeeessssss.

(My handsome tabby boy is great and all but… I miss my calicos.)

22. Smallthunder says:

She’s a totally tailless hairbutt! Who bunny hops!
    In other words, if you check the rescue site, you’ll see that she’s a Manx. And, of course, quite the minx. Some special needs business with her back legs.
    I wish I could adopt her — probably the first and only time I’m going to wish I lived in Ohio rather than Hawaii …

23. Lisa R Garcia says:

What a beautiful baby.

24. She lives in my neighborhood!! If I didn’t already have a cranky old special needs kitty, I’d want her, but now I have somewhere to volunteer.

25. As a person of the Goth persuasion I must say… OMG. I wish *my* black eye makeup was ever this purrfect!