Cute-iny on the Bounty

The never told story of how the ships’ crew is a bunch of bumbling swabs who don’t know a scupper from a scuttlebutt. Hide the rum, somebody’s butt is being scuttled! It’s the Perfect Storm. Dust storm that is.

Fave Mayday Frame:

Screen Shot 2013-07-30 at 10.30.02 PM
“I wanted to share one of my recent videos showing the whole chinchilla family taking a bath on a dust bath ship! It’s one of my absolute favorites as of late!
The chinchillas are: Mochi – Mom, Taro – Dad, Soju & Saki – the children (they are bothers). Love the site and keep up the CUTE!” -Scott from ChinTube.

Comments

1. Wow! I was SO not expecting this! How cute are this guys…dust rules!

2. JenDeyan says:

Why it is that fuzzy animals are even cuter when they take baths? This video is so cute I wanted to faint when I was watching it.

3. 260Oakley says:

HMS Chinafore

4. SlaveToCat says:

The real Dust Bunnies.

5. 4leafclover says:

Chins Ahoy!

6. pupfriend says:

Can someone enlighten me as to WHY the chins are taking a dust bath? Especially what look to be domesticated ones? Wouldn’t that just make them dirty? Or are they like rabbits who shouldn’t be bathed so much?

7. Okay, what movie was that music from?

8. They are bothers, or they are brothers? It probably works either way.

9. JustAnotherHeather says:

Bothering brothers? Brothers who bother each other?

10. LOL. That’s how Scott typed it in the original submission – too funny to fix it.

11. Let’s face it, all pets are bothers. But we love them anyway.

12. awe just too cute, dust baths are good for them or they wouldn’t do it, they instinctivly know what is best for themselves. I am guessing these help remove excess oils on their skin but I don’t know for sure.

13. *golf clap*

14. I hate when spellcheck doesn’t pick up a typo be/c it’s a real word. Being an accountant, I once almost sent an email to someone talking about their “assets,” but without the T in it. 8O

15. BellaBella says:

Chins produce a lanolin like oil which will get distributed through their fur making them look greasy – the dust bath helps to fluff their fur back out, and aids in keeping them cool. It’s also qte!

16. Chinchillas have some of the SOFTEST, THICKEST fur in the world-they are from the mountains in South America where it is very cold! Since their fur is so thick, if you get a chinchilla wet, it is nearly impossible for him or her to get dry all the way, and then moisture can be held against their skin, which can encourage the growth of all sorts of nasty things. But since, again, the fur is so thick, and SO SOFT, it does get dirty very quickly, so they need to take their dust baths. The dust is actually very finely ground pumice, which is a strange volcanic rock (you might have seen one before, they’re the rocks with the holes in them-used a lot in foot care products) that is both very soft (compared to other rocks), and it is porous, so it absorbs stuff really well! It does exist naturally in the wild, especially around the bases of old volcanoes that have erupted, which is where wild chins take their baths. So they roll around in the dust, the dust absorbs the dirt and oil, and then they hop out and shake the dust off, leaving them fresh and clean! As you see from the video, it is an ADORABLE process to watch.

Thus concludes the lesson of the day.

~*The More You Know*~ ;)

17. Sharon Wilson says:

Oh, that’s even funnier than seeing birdehs take dust baths!

18. Typo? Or Freudian slip? :mrgreen:

19. JustAnotherHeather says:

I think you are correct, and I also heard that helps them remove parasites.

20. DogEared says:

That music added another level of cute to the video!

21. 6rabbits says:

OK, now I want a chinchilla! Too adorbs!

22. They seem to be big fans for Japanese culture, seeing their many Totoro dolls and background music used… OK that music is from the television series Hotaru no Hikari (ホタルのヒカリ), a very cute Japanese drama. The OST is quite easy to find. :)

23. Makes me think of Tony Montana and his cocaine. Only cute.

24. pupfriend says:

Thank you, that was truly fascinating. Pumice, who knew?