You Make The Cute Noises, Kemosabe

(Say like the original Tonto and not the trendy Depp version.)

There’s a hot new porky-pine on the Intertubes and his name is Kemosabe. Teddy, you’re our buddy but it’s time to step up your game! It’s been seven months since your last clip!

Comments

1. That is SO unbelievably cute.

2. Redonkulous!

3. HOLY CRAP!! I want heeem!

4. Blue Footed Booby says:

meh.Meh! MYEEEH!!

5. What the heck is it? I know you said porky pine but I’m sure I saw a prehensile tail-eo back there. And also that lady needs to stop poking him in the snoz.

6. So ‘porcupine’ is one of those common names which is not all that useful. ‘Porcupine’ can refer to Old Word (Hystricidae – larger, nonarboreal) porcupines and New World (Erethizontidae – smaller, more arboreal) porcupines. These two groups are both rodents, but other than that are really not particularly related, e.g. new world porcupines are more related to guinea pigs than old world porcupines. Their spines reflect convergent evolution. (Similarly, ‘sloths’ (two and three toed) and ‘vultures’ (which can be split between old world and new world) are not meaningful categories).

There are 15 or 20 new world porcupine species, and a bunch of them have prehensile-ish tails. Based on the weird muzzle, I think this is a South American or Mexican ‘tree porcupine’.

7. Mother of Chaos says:

LOVE Teddy! (but his narrator needs to soften up a bit) – Love this lil’ guy!

8. What a cute little thing! Love the way he knows to pull up the little basket on a rope. I don’t know that I would be putting my finger in his face like that. I would be afraid he’d snatch it up in his mouth!

9. Thank you for the lecture Casey. :)
    Didn’t know that arboreal porcupines exists. I was wondering why Teddy Bear don’t have the tailo?! Same cute noises though !

10. OMG I love him. I can’t handle the cute! >.<

11. 6rabbits says:

*kaBOOM* My mind is utterly blown!

12. For the first few seconds I thought it was a little kid chattering away, took a minute to realize it’s little spikey’s poetic words!

13. Casey, you’re a legend! Thanks for the clarification. You know that means there’s actually more species on the planet to love and to be cutely kilt by. Yay!

14. Our commenunity is the BEST!

15. If you click on the info tab int he upper right of the video you can see all the details about Kemosabe :)

16. I love him, he’s got a nose like Karl Malden

17. victoreia says:

*cue “The More You Know” riff*

18. Tim McDaniel says:

Ehn! Ehn! Ehn! Ehn! Ehn! Ehn! Ehn! Ehn! Ehn! Ehn! Ehn! Ehn! Ehn! Ehn! Ehn! Ehn! Ehn! Ehn! Ehn! Ehn! Ehn!

19. ^.^ : D ^.^

A wonderful change from the lambasting I usually get…hehe.

Always happy to be (one of) the resident biologist (s)!

20. Porklepines all sound and look exactly like Cousin Itt.

21. White Jenna says:

North American porcupines (like Teddy) are arboreal, too, they just don’t have the tail.

22. White Jenna says:

Prehensile tailed porcupine noses are the most boopable things there are. :D If he really didn’t like it, he’d move away or bite her fingers.

23. White Jenna says:

So, I just gotta say (as a PT porcupine keeper) that y’all are missing out by not having Smell O’Vision. Males have an…incredible odor of B.O. and condiments. Certain maintenance workers will not enter the room. It drifts outside through the air ducts. It gets in your hair, your clothes (yea, even after washing), and transfers to your car. These guys are lucky they’re so cute and awesome. :D

24. dolphin815 says:

Exactly. This lady sounds nice.

25. Me too!!

26. Sharon Wilson says:

That’s the first porkypine I’ve seen with a boopable nose!

27. Animal Wonders as seen on one of Youtube’s best channels: SciShow!!!