The Tell-Tale Thpwonnnnnnngggg

It was a low, dull, quick sound — much such a sound as a kangaroo makes on a regulation diving board. Like a madman, I flew from room to room — parlor, solarium, bowling alley — in vain pursuit of the diabolical racket. “Ach, with the tormenting stop already!” I cried, but the thpwonging steadily increased… louder… louder… louder…

Comments

1. Smartypants says:

WIN for NTMTOM!

2. So that’s what inspired good old Edgar Allan Poe!!

3. This is just what I needed to cheer me up on a Monday morning! Thanks, NOMTOM!

4. Clairdelune says:

Thanks for a Monday morning laugh!!! LOVE that pawsie!!! And thanks for reminding me once more why I adore cats.

5. I think Theresa said once that the reason she loves cats is that they can be both beautiful and ridiculous at the same time. Or something like that… I hope you don’t mind me paraphrasing you, Theresa!

6. Miss Kitteh says:

I felt that I must scream or die! — and now — again — hark! louder! louder! louder! LOUDER!

“Villains!” I shrieked, “Dissemble no more! I admit the deed! — open the bathroom door! — here, here! — IT IS THE THWOPPONGING OF THE TREAT-DEPRIVED KITTEH!”

7. skippymom says:

Classic NOMTOM!

8. If that’s not what she said, someone needs to say it because that’s so true .. beautiful and ridiculous at the same time!! (Not to mention sweet and yet stubborn as a mule, at the same time.)

9. skippymom says:

Hi, you two!

10. Hi, skippymom! How are you the furkids?

11. The URL is really the icing on the cake.

12. Blue Footed Booby says:

Backstory for this gif: the guy closes his door at night so he can sleep without being stomped on. This is how kitty protests the situation.

13. skippymom says:

Hi, ceejoe! Everybody is pretty well. Skippy is showing his age in various ways, but hanging in there. Do you still have ten?

14. And therefore never send to know for whom the doorstop thpwongs; it thpwongs for thee.

15. Yes, that is why he wrote “The Tell-Tale Paw”.
    Obvy. :D

16. Oops, I just saw the title of the post….oops.
    How about “The Barf and the Pendulum”?
    The Purrloined Letter?
    Annabel Squee?

17. Coffee Cup says:

“parlor, solarium, bowling alley..”

This cat clearly lives on the TARDIS. Stay away from the swimming pool in the library!

18. It’s the thpwonging, the thpwonging of that hideous doorstop!

19. Not atall, not atall. :D

20. BWAHAHAHA!

21. “Not hear it?—yes, I hear it, and have heard it. Long—long—long—many minutes, many hours, many days, have I heard it—yet I dared not—oh, pity me, miserable wretch that I am!—I dared not—I dared not speak! We have put her living in the bathroom!

22. “kangaroo on a regulation diving board.” :lol:

23. Yep, ten! Cletus, my oldest male, and two of the females, Matisse and Samantha, are starting to get that skinny-old-cat look. They’re all somewhere around 10 to 12 years old. Other than that, all good!

24. oops – I should have said 12 to 14 years…

25. skippymom says:

Skippy turned 16 in January and he is definitely rocking the skinny old cat thing. I also realized this weekend that he has a bunch of mats in his fur and I am working on gradually brushing them out. Poor guy.

26. skippymom says:

indeed

27. skippymom says:

How is Dante?

28. Yep, I do have to brush and comb the older ones more. I read once that the little burrs on their tongues get worn down as they get older, so they aren’t able to groom themselves as well.

29. Well of course he is owned by his kitteh. What did he expect? As most of us CO fans realize there’s absolutely no point in fighting these things. We have been enslaved since the time of the pharaohs after all.

30. I swallowed my coffee just before I read this, and I am so glad it was not the other way around! The keyboard would have been an awful mess…

31. fish eye no miko says:

Not “The Kit and the Pendulum”?
    Also:
    “The Fall of the Mouse of Usher”
    “Murders in the Mew Morgue”
    And of course, ones that don’t need changed:
    “Hop-Frog”
    and
    “The Black Cat”

32. skippymom says:

*clap*

33. Just as I suspected. NOMTOM lives in a palace, in a kingdom by the sea,

34. Theresa says:

Fat. :D

35. Theresa says:

“Do I not distinguish that heavy and horrible thpwonnnnnging? Madman!”—here he sprang furiously to his feet, and shrieked out his syllables, as if in the effort he were giving up his soul—“Madman! I tell you that she now stands without the door!8O

36. Theresa says:

And the Deadly Qte held sway over all.

37. Theresa says:

Ouch, I’ve been modded. Please don’t seal me living in the Mod Lounge.

38. humminbirdie says:

Epic!!! I love-love-love all yer Poe paraphrasings, CO peeps!!!

39. jlamusings says:

I missed that! hahahahaha!

40. jlamusings says:

I’m just glad to finally know how to spell that NOISE. *sigh* my first kitty used to do that frequently- even if he wasn’t locked out of anything. He’d partly close the door so he could have the satisfaction of putting his paw under the door.

41. And frolics in the ocean mist in a land called “Hannalee”.

42. victoreia says:

*wild applause*

43. victoreia says:

Just as long as he doesn’t pull a Jackie Paper, it’s all good.

44. :lol: Which turned out that being stomped on by his dear sweet kitty was better than hearing the door stop being whacked by said kitty’s paw under the door, huh, Blue Footed Booby :lol:

45. Moonstar says:
  46. Me, too! But yes, it’s absolutely perfect. NTMTOM’s second play in recent weeks on one of my fave songs by one of my fave singers. Bravo!

47. When we moved from our apartment into a house, our kitty quickly discovered the joys of the super sproingy (and super loud) spring-type door stops…in every blessed room. We immediately decided we must replace either the cat or the doorstops. The doorstops were gone by noon. :)

48. Saffron says:

I sometimes cut the mats out. Use the blunt tipped scissors for kids (can get them for around 99 cents at Target or Walmart). I have a long haired 16 1/2 year old and she mats a lot this time of year.

49. :lol: Wise choice :lol: I bet your dear sweet kitty was looking for those “super sproingy (and super loud) spring-type door stops” after they were all removed, huh, CandiO :lol:

50. petless in Puddletown says:

Written by the late great Warren Zevon, bless his soul.
    (OK how long have I been reading these posts – YEARS – and never notice the URLs?? Oy! I have a lot of back-reading to do!!!)