Capybara Capers

Gary, is a 1 year old capybara from Venezuela who lives in Texas now, on the couch, in the car, in the pool and in the bed, with his hoomins, Melanie and Richard.
9277195595_ff154427ac_z
I’m a capybara, and you’re not. Nah-nah-nah-nah-nah…

9277196145_670285f9c2_z
Size matters!

9277194885_9a01b72428_z
Gary’s watching his favorite scene from Princess Bride for the dozenth time, “Rodents of Unusual Size? I don’t believe they exist.”

9279979652_b0d4480a6f_z
Gary’s warm and sensitive side.

9277195349_0c948dc645_z
My very own kitty cat. All my dreams have been answered!

9277196009_17769eaa62
Do you give the orders around here?

9279978518_12b050da10_z
A capybara’s got to do what a capybara’s got to do. Sneef-sneef.

9279978960_d8b0ef317c_z
Thank you. And could you get me a little umbrella and a tumbler to go with it?

9344023611_17d17ea2ec_z
I wish I knew what was happening here.

9279978376_632af5b5dd_z
Another day in capybara-dise.

9279979248_db50445eaf_z
With thanks to the Daily Mail

Comments

1. Blue Footed Booby says:

They’re such ungainly looking critters, like house hippos. I loff them.

2. dyingearth says:

It’s not a companion for the uncommitted. They must have a ready supply of water to swim in, which is their natural habitat.

3. Wow, I didn’t know they were quite that big! Seems like a happy fellow.

4. O…….M…….G………
    nuff said :)

5. Michelle says:

LOL! The most bizarre photo album I’ve ever seen.

6. bekibunny says:

I had no idea they were so huge. What a lovely boy, he looks so content!

7. Gary is indeed super-cute, but I think if I saw him coming, I’d scream!

8. Is it just me, or in the first photo is that a plumpish but regular-sized guinea pig on the lady’s lap?

9. mindadale says:

Yes. There is also a turtle in one of the photos with the cat but I cannot tell if it is a real turtle or not. I wonder if the vet makes housecalls to this place!

10. The other name for a capybara is a Mara, which happens to be my daughter’s name. We had quite a laugh on a guided tour of our zoo when the guide announced that “the Mara is the ugliest animal in the zoo”. Of course, her two brothers never let her forget it!

11. mindadale says:

I want to know how this came to be. Also, is he housetrained?

12. Love the one mugging on the cat! I swear though, if I walked into a house and saw what we see in that very first pic . . . I’d think I was seeing things.

13. mauderules says:

Gosh, unless there was practically nothing else in the zoo, I don’t see how anything as cute as a capybara could be ugly by comparison. I wish I knew how this capybara came to be living with those hoomins. I imagine that I’ll be heading to the Mod Lounge for use of the U-word, by the way. So be it. I hope there are passion fruit margaritas.

14. bluebird says:

Is that pool chlorinated?

15. bluebird says:

Given all the other animals on that ark, I’d bet it’s a real turtle.

16. Not sure about that, but I am certain it is Capy-barated.

17. sotadragon says:

The article says it’s a pet tortoise, so I’m guessing it’s real. :-)

18. sotadragon says:

The article says they adopted him in Venezuela from his previous owner who could no longer care for him. Doesn’t say if he’s specifically house trained, but does say he learns quickly and they’ve taught him some tricks, so I suppose he could be house trained.

19. omg, I completely missed that! lol and 8O

20. rescue gal says:

Not meant to be pets. Although he hardly looks put out by the whole situation. ;)

21. Well, we *had* passion fruit margaritas.

Hope you’re not driving and come back soon!

22. Love! Just like an extra-sized guinea pig. I want to meet one in person and pet it!

23. Gary’s hoomins seem like the BEST! That first photo with the scratcher, haha!

24. He certainly LOOKS like he’s meant to be a pet.

25. Same here :) I would have to take a second look just to be sure :)

26. Actually, his name is spelled Gari, short for Garibaldi.
    He’s a facebook friend of mine.

He has lots of co-pets, including the tortoise, guinea pig, and some rats and bunnies. The cat and the dogs belong to a neighbor and just visit a lot.

27. Gary has a better life than I do! I wonder if his hoomins have room for one more…?

28. most obvious question left unanswered : does he like to stick his head out the window when they drive around ???

inquiring minds want to know !

29. and how did this happen, anyway ? was he hidden in a pineapple at the grocery store, and fell out when they were unpacking groceries at home ?

30. This post makes me happy. :)

31. Actually, a ‘mara’ is a Patagonian cavy, which is actually even cuter than a capybara. My daughter used to call maras “bunny deer” to give you an idea.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patagonian_mara hope that linky works, or just use “mara animal” in your search box… I have fed a mara, but not even seen a capybara IRL. But I really, really want to. Did anyone else read the book “Capyboppy” when they were kids?

32. Oh ack, you are right! They were in the same enclosure, so blend together in my foggy old brain……don’t know how I could forget, because the rest of that story was that my daughter named the capybara Brendan(her brother’s name, obviously), and ever after they argued over which was cute or ugly!

33. Bettymouse says:

That is the smuggest looking rodent I’ve ever seen.

34. Actually, the video in the original article, the owner says they got Gary from a breeder in Arkansas, although the photo caption did say they got from a previous owner who couldnt care for him. And she had first seen wild capybaras in Venezuala……

35. they’re surprisingly bristly, like large pigs as far as their coats. I was thinking they’d be soft, til i got to pet one..and, nope. Doesn’t matter though, still awesome.

36. This post makes me want to watch The Tick again :)

37. Who new that R.O.U.S. could be so cute!!!

38. Saw a family of them while in Peru and the parents are BIG…but the babies were quite cute and make little squeaky sounds. :D

39. MinglesMommy says:

He is just beautiful and obviously very, very happy and loved!

40. Cleosmom says:

It’s TEXAS … and everything’s bigger in Texas, right …

41. House hippo! I love it. :) Also, your name indicates you might find this funny… http://icanhas.cheezburger.com/tag/my-eyes-are-up-here

42. He is lovely, and also a very dignified animal — such serenity in many of the photos.

43. Where do you get capybara show ? My local pet store doesn’t carry it.

44. Dog Lover says:

Me too!! I love love LOVE this post. I’m torn between being envious of Gary (he has a pool, I don’t) and being envious of his hoomans (they have a capybara, I don’t). I want to move in with these people!!!!! :)

45. My thoughts too, they’re bigger than I realized!!

46. Speak!!!

47. I must have a capybara now!

48. Is he named after the Babylon 5 character? I must know!

49. I think if you or I had his life, we’d feel smug too.

50. Sharon Wilson says:

I love how he has his own inner tube!

51. Guinea Pig on steroids? Am I crazy to want one now?

52. Excellent!

53. Oh mah gawd!!! I want one too!

54. I think Pixar should get on this and make a movie starring a capy, STAT!

55. It’s been a long time since CO has really overloaded me with cute—this definitely broke the cute meter!

56. The guinea pig is Winston Bumblebee Barcode the First, one of Garibaldi’s co-pets. The cat is Flopsy the Killer Cat, who belongs to Melanie’s daughter, Coral. I don’t remember who the puppy belongs to. Check out http://www.gianthamster.com for more about Gari and his family and friends!

57. bob drummond says:

as a bonnifide capybara affectionado , I just love this story and photos !!! :-) thank you again C.O.

58. Rosie B. says:

You can read about Gari on his blog – gianthamster.com. Melly, his owner, stresses that they are not well suited as housepets. Their care has to be carefully researched and they come with a host of special requirements. Certainly not your average guinea pig. Best to find one in a zoo or see if you can visit Mel and Richard.

59. Katherine says:

Ah, good to know. No capybara for me. I’ll stick with bunnies.

60. johannebertha says:

He is. Cappies poop and pee in water, so they’ve filled shallow boxes with water for him to use, like a litterbox. Garibaldi’s website explains it all for you!

61. White Jenna says:

Every capy I’ve met or heard of in a zoo environment defecates in its water tub. :P

62. Phoenix says:

I love capybara’s, they always look so dignified. I always imagine they sound like James Mason when they talk too. And they read the Wall Street Journal. But still play with squeaky rubber duckies in the bath.

63. But this makes the zoo guide’s comment even more perplexing. How on earth could he call the mara ugly? They’re completely adorable. (Oh. Wait. Maybe he meant one particular individual. I guess they can’t all be cute.)

64. Yes to all of this!

65. Bettymouse says:

That’s for sure!

66. MinglesMommy says:

Phoenix – that’s BRILLIANT. I love it!

67. mindadale says:

While handy, it would make me less likely to go swimming with him as they do.
    (But, then again, I do lots of things with my pets I never thought I do before they moved in–the boirdy showers with me sometimes.) ;)

68. Lillith says:

Perfect. Now that you mention it I can easily picture him wearing a top hat and monocle.

69. phred's mom says:

…nor I. I always figured them to be like
    well-fed groundhogs. Yikes, he’s huuuuuuge!

70. I like to imagine that this is a regular-sized hamster living with miniature people.

71. 6rabbits says:

There is a plush toy version!

72. 6rabbits says:

* snerk * :lol:

73. I love that Capybara. I always talk to them when I go to the Wild Animal Park in San Diego. Now I want one.

74. EEK! His name is GARY!!! WANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

75. sotadragon says: