Saturday Flashback: The Eagle Has Landed

595px-Apollo_11_insignia (I know, it doesn’t have the alliteration that “Friday Flashback” has.)

Anyway. This is history heah.

It was 44 years ago this very night that man first landed on the moon. You remember, it was in ALL the papers!

Photo by the incredible Greg Downing.

Comments

1. Theresa says:

Sam the Eagle!

2. Sea of Tranquility here. Eagle has landed…

3. Yuri Bell says:

44 years ago today I was still in nappies. Well, one at a time.

4. bob drummond says:

I still remember , I had finished my 3rd year of high school , I had a part time job at the BRONX ZOO :-) , AND I was having trouble staying awake while watching Neal Armstrong getting ready to take that first step ! I fell asleep and missed the whole %$#@ thing !!! :-(

5. Gorgeous photo!!

6. I remember arguing recently with someone who said it happened in the daytime.. Well, they LANDED on the moon in the daytime, and all us schoolkids filed into the auditorium to watch on the one 19 inch CRT B&W TV. Then we went home from school and my father had to wake me (and my younger sisters) up to come downstairs and watch them get out and WALK on the moon. On OUR 19 inch B&W CRT TV. Which didn’t matter because the transmissions were B&W anyway.

7. 6rabbits says:

You were still in school in JULY?! 8O

8. Do you want to know how long ago that was?

We were just talking about the anniversary of the first moon landing coming up the other day at a family diner and I was saying to my 12 year old grand niece that I was her age when I watched it happening live on TV.

She looked at me amazed and said:

You were alive when they landed on the moon 8O !!!!

9. Saffron says:

Wait, you mean the Starship Swinetrek was not the first into space???

10. 44 years ago today my parents weren’t even married yet!

11. I was 14 and watched in my grandparents’ living room,

In the immortal words of the Beach Boys, “Let’s get back together and do it again.”

12. whawhawhatsis says:

I was 15, and watched it on our 19″ CRT B&W TV, too, with the vertical hold that would go into a slow roll any time you really wanted to watch something. I still hate that TV. My parents waited till I went to college and then went out and bought themselves a big fancy color TV. Grr!

It wasn’t until Canadian astronaut Chris Hadfield’s recent tour aboard the ISS that space has been made as cool again. I’ll never forget walking outside and looking at the moon and thinking, “There are people walking around up there.” Still gives me chills!

13. victoreia says:

Uh, I was just a twinkle in my mother’s father’s eye. (I was a bit *more* than a twinkle for Mom, ifyaknowwhatImean!)

14. Sam is one of my favorite Muppet characters! He stole every scene when Rudolf Nureyev was a guest….

15. More Muppets? Sweet!!!!

16. Lewis n' Clark says:

I was babysitting my little brother and his friend, it was beastly hot, and I ignored them the entire time