RIP Schoep

Super Sad News here. Schoep passed away Wednesday- this news just coming to light on the John & Schoep FB page. We’ll update this post when we get more info. :(

Friday Late Update: From their FB page: John would like to thank everyone for their kind words. Please send condolences to – P.O. Box 434 Bayfield WI 54814 U.S.A.

992877_602637353091000_1524141187_n

1000987_604134289607973_172093188_n

580269_605458929475509_102951335_n
Photos from the John & Schoep FB. Cuteporter Carol H. gets thanks for the email alert.

Comments

1. CorduroyMilo says:

One of the great love stories of all times. You will be missed Schoep by so many. :(

2. What a great man his John must be, to have that much love in heart and to know that it’s breaking hurts even worse.. see I can’t even make any sense in what I”m posting because I don’t know what to say or how to say it.

it makes me think of sweet little Chumrka the hamster too…

3. Awesome partnership between John and Schoep.

4. Kari Callin says:

What a gentle soul. May you have a swift and peaceful journey to the Rainbow Bridge. And peaceful energy to your loving human companion, John.

5. Saw this posted on FB earlier and I broke into tears. What a wonderful relationship they shared, and I’m thankful the owner allowed a glimpse into their lives. I will miss Schoepp and the daily updates. Go peacefully, beautiful doggie.

6. Ohhhh. John must be heartbroken to lose his little partner, no matter how long and well-lived a life Schoep had. I hope he can take comfort in knowing what a wonderful dad he was to Schoep and how happy that sweet doggie was. RIP sweet boy.

7. jlamusings says:

Amen to all that! Prayer and well wishes for John during this loss. :-(

8. MARTINE says:

RIP…

9. 260Oakley says:

I had a good cry over this news, then hugged the stuffing out of the cat who started the day by turning on my beside radio at 3 am and ended it by barfing on my backpack. Thank you, World, for sweet mutts and bad cats.

Good-bye, Schoep.

10. Janet in NYC says:

We will all miss Schoep He was as beautiful as his master is kind

11. DogEared says:

Every time I saw that pic of them in the water, my heart swelled with so much love for all dogs and their love for us. I pray John takes comfort in how many lives he and Shoep touched in a positive way. RIP beautiful doggie.

12. Ditto what CorduroyMilo said. I am glad that Schoep knew so much love in his life, and it sounds like his last days were good. RIP, sweet boy, and I hope John finds peace in the many happy memories they shared.

13. Coffee Cup says:

Poor John. Poor Schoep. He had a great life and was beloved.

14. I just lost my boy, Rocky to cancer on july 3rd so I know what heartbreak Schoep’s human dad feels. But we both must be glad too that their pain and suffering is over and they feel wonderful in Heaven. this got me crying all over again.

15. rip loved u both!

16. loved them both so much!!!!!

17. Janet in Cambridge says:

Schoep, RIP, sweet boy. John, my deepest condolences to you. I wish I could say more, but I wouldn’t know what else to say. You are in my thoughts. You did so right by this handsome, sweet boy.

18. that is so true! that photo touched so many of us.

19. shall you meet again someday at rainbow bridge love you !

20. Lerrinus says:

*sniffles* RIP Shoep. :cry: :-(

21. How heartbreaking. They loved each other and went through so much together. John take comfort in knowing that you helped him live a good life. He will be waiting for you at the rainbow bridge. God bless you both.

22. Truly heartbreaking! Poor John, I can’t imagine what he’s going through right now…

23. Calamity Jane says:

So sad. Rest well, Schoep. John, you are an amazing person who has shown the whole world the true face of love. I will you peace and comfort and a lifetime of good memories of your pal

24. Dawnieangel76 says:

There’s little comfort when you lose a furry companion, but I hope John takes a bit of it from our compassion & sympathy, as well as the memories he’ll carry forever of him & sweet Schoep. The love they shared as guardian and companion was an inspiration to us all, and I for one will never forget them. Godspeed Schoep, and God bless John.

25. Oh noooooooo! I’m so sorry. You were a wonderful dad:)

26. woofiesma says:

I burst into tears as soon as I read the news on FB and I haven’t done that in years. It was so wonderful following John’s comments about Shoep this past year and loved every picture posted. Shoep received love every day. John – thank you for showing us again what unconditional love is.

27. Carla Oliveira says:

A beautiful doggy soul is now at the rainbow bridge. After a wonderful life with the most caring friend ever, I know he’s Resting in Peace.

28. May the incredible love they inspired in all of us lift them up…

29. tracylee says:

Big hugs to John. Pobre Schoeppy, you will be greatly missed

30. Cynthia M says:

I raise a glass to Schoep.

31. Aww…RIP Schoep. You have brought a lot of joy and happiness to John and all who got to know you. All those doggies receiving arthritis treatments because of your fundraising efforts will remember you fondly.

32. Rachael says:

What a great and good dog Schoep was and what a great and good man John is. Schoep is now at peace, free of pain and full of sunshine. My heart is hurting for John’s deep loss.

33. gangewifreweaving says:

rip to little schoep. all my condolences to john… this just goes to show that no matter how long a dog companion lives, even if it exceeds all expectations, it is never long enough. :(

34. SlaveToCat says:

Even the Cats are sending their best thoughts.

35. RIP Schoep. This was indeed a very lucky dog. 20 years is a long time for a dog. It just says a lot about his owner who did far more than many would for him. I sympathize with you John as I have lost dog before from illness and that broke my heart so bad. I wish that John will find in his heart place for another dog (hopefully a rescue). Cause that dog, I’m convinced, will also get the best care a dog can get, just like Schoep got. Dogs need you John.

36. Very sad to hear this… :-(

37. weaselwardancer says:

I am so glad that the warm hearts of people everywhere made Schoep’s last months comfortable and happy by their selfless donations.

38. emmberrann says:

Been a daily follower of the schoep and John FB page since before there were 147,000 of us. We all will miss John’s narratives of schoep’s delight in the snow, and his friendship at arms’ length with Abby and Hoffman. I think, tho’, that Schoep reminds us to take our pleasures in the minutiae of the day, in the smells on our walks, the loving slurpy kisses of our BFFs, and the strong bonds of trust and joy we share with them. Ave et vale, brave Schoep. And our hearts break with yours, John.

39. They were blessed to have had each other, this loyal dog, this gentle man. We should all be so lucky in life to know such true friendship.

40. So loved John and Schoep’s story. Thanks for sharing your with us. My heart breaks for you John.

41. victoreia says:

RIP….

42. Popkissed says:

Hugs for you Donna. And hugs for John as well. I lost my best guy, Tigger, over 3 years ago and I still haven’t quite recovered. I am sending love and wishes for peace and healing to you both.

43. Namaste and gentle journey, well-loved Schoep, and coping vibes to his loving human companion.

44. kittycat says:

:(:( dear Schoep rest in peace …..dear JOhn this is a devastating time…

45. The world would be a better place if there were more people like John Unger. What an extraordinary love he had for his wonderful pal, Schoep. And how kind he was to share his journey with his marvelous pal with us. RIP Schoep.

46. Furbabies says:

Incredibly sad. My heart goes out to John.

47. Aww this is soooo sad :( I didn’t expect to break down but looking at the old posts made me so sad for John. My heart breaks for him losing his furry family member. Schoep is running and playing with no pain in heaven and will see his daddy again someday! Any heaven has to have our animals we love to truly be paradise. </3

48. Every creature has a purpose. For dogs, their purpose seems to be to ease suffering, remove loneliness and work alongside us. Schoep excelled at his purpose, and when he was suffering, he brought out the best in people. He even left behind a legacy to benefit other animals. In his passing, he’s also connected John Unger with other like-minded people, whom I know are there if he needs them. Rest in peace, Schoep.

49. mydragon says:

So sad… I was sitting at my computer crying about my cat that’s in the animal hospital when I read this news too. It was more tears than one gal could handle.

50. RIP Schoep, don’t be too sad John, you looked after him so well.

51. Very sad news about Schoep!

Sorry to read this about your cat mydragon! ♥

52. JenDeyan says:

His story touched us all. If feel sad because I know his story so it’s something I accept because I’d be less for never knowing of him. Sweet dreams to you, Schoep.

53. Rest well, Schoep.

54. mydragon, I hope your kitteh is well and back home soon.

55. Lucy's mommeh says:

Dear sweet Schoep, RIP. That doggie celebrated his 20th birthday just a few days ago. A good long stretch for him, but still devastating. Peace to John.

56. It has been said that dogs leave footprints on your heart. Schoep left his on many, MANY hearts. I hope he has a nice cool shade tree at The Bridge to rest under while he waits for John – and that he enjoys a pain-free run every now and then too.

Blessings and healing to John – you are amazing!!

57. My tears immediately started flowing when I read about Schoep. He truly knew love and caring in his 20 years on this earth, thanks to his wonderful hoomin, John, and I’m sure the love was returned! Condolences to John…I believe that your sweet boy will be waiting for you at the Bridge.

58. Condolences to you, Donna. I know you gave your sweet Rocky lots of love and a good life, just as John did for Schoep,

59. I wondered why I couldn’t find a FB post from John yesterday evening. RIP Schoep, I wish all anipals could have a human like yours. I hope John’s other anipals, the donkeys, can help mend his broken heart.

60. John, I am so sorry for your loss. Schoep was truly a great dog and will be fondly remembered by the many people whose lives he touched. He did what all great dogs do, he inspired us to aspire to be better people.

61. Miss Tara says:

My deepest sympathies to John. There are many new friends waiting to welcome Schoep over the Rainbow Bridge.

62. Norbertsmom says:

RIP sweet Schoep. John I am so very sorry for your loss. The relationship you two had was amazing and an inspiration to us all! Your baby is heavens newest angel and he will now watch over you forever.

63. Jackie Rose says:

So sad. My heart goes out to John. I hope he can find comfort in the knowledge that Schoep knew he was loved.

64. Birdcage says:

That beautiful old white face! You will be missed and not forgotten. It was a special relationship.

65. My heart goes out to Schoep’s papa.
    RIP sweet friend.

66. Leigh Magadini says:

I am sooo very sorry:( you were the most amazing owner any animal could ever have…

67. This is so touching, ….tearfully so. With loving memories, to Schoep.
    Blessed memories and times were spent with a best friend.

68. It was a great love story and inspiration. My dog passed a month ago and following this story made me feel better. RIP Schoep

69. :sad:

70. RIP… Scoep will be missed, even by us who didn’t know him. Important not to forget John as days go by. 😢

71. John and Schoep’s story touched our hearts and inspired us all to be kinder to our pets and one another. So generous to share their story with us. RIP Schoep, and my deepest sympathies for your loss John.

72. Thank you, Popkissed and amyliz. I could tell by looking at Schoep’s pictures on FB that he diden’t feel good, just sort of laying there like my cat did. Still you can’t bear to part with them, hanging onto that precious life for as long as you can. You miss holding them most of all.

73. I hope your kitty gets home soon too!

74. darmyers says:

My heart goes out to John on the loss of his best friend. And what a beautiful friendship it was. I know you have inspired so many people John. Our thoughts are with you and Shoep.

75. I had never heard of these two until reading this post. So sad, my heart goes out to John. And what a blessing he has been for other animal lovers with sick pets. Time heals. RIP Schoep.

76. So sorry – thank you for sharing your story. Schoep is playing somewhere again now.

77. sotadragon says:

Oh no… :'( So sad… RIP Schoep, you will be greatly missed! And sending out heartfelt condolences to Schoep’s bestest friend John.

78. doomchild says:

There are no words I can say to ease John’s pain, and no words to describe the amount of happiness he brought together Schoep. Still I want to thank you, John, for what you did for your old friend. Through tears and sobbing: thank you. You will meet Schoep again at the Rainbow Bridge.

79. Michele Kiger says:

I’m so sorry to hear about the end of a great partnership. Both of you were blessed with each other.

80. phred's mom says:

John and Schoep have helped restore a little
    peace and warmth to me on a crummy day.
    They will be valued for a long time.

81. I know this is a difficult time for you John. You have been blessed to have such a beautiful friend in Schoep. I wish you much peace at this time. I believe that Schoep will always be with you in spirit.

82. Lisa marie says:

There are no words…💔🐾 know that you will meet again..

83. Shannon says:

There’s nothing I can say that hasn’t already been said. Bless John, he’s a great man and gives me faith in humanity. I am happy Schoep had such a long, happy, well-loved life. If only all pets were as appreciated and cared for as Schoep was. Good job, John. You have been and will be blessed. I’m sorry for your loss.

84. ashagato says:

you always make me smile Oakley, but today you made me lol through my tears!

85. Michelle says:

Heart broken. Love and prayers to John.

86. zolabunny says:

Very sad news but also we can feel comforted by the fact that Schoep had so much love and devotion. If only all animals could experience that in their lifetime. John is a shining example and my heart goes out to him.

87. prinsas says:

very eloquent, emmberrann. by all accounts, J & S experienced it, didn’t just walk through it.
    it = life.

88. pismopup says:

Such sad news :( RIP Schoep. You were loved.

John, I’m sorry for your loss, but he’ll always be there with you in your heart….

89. Well, he went knowing he is loved to his last days.

90. Janet in Cambridge says:

I found this film, again, this morning and thought I’d share it. Maybe some of John and Shoep’s savored moments can be added.

Savor Every Moment

91. Msdove-thejrtlady says:

Words cannot express how I feel. Thoughts and prayers to John and everyone in Schoep’s loving family.

I think this quote is appropriate -“For it was not into my ear you whispered, but into my heart. It was not my lips you kissed, but my soul.” – Judy Garland

92. awww so cute sorry to hear that

93. Lovely video and beautiful music. Thanks for the share.

94. Can’t help but cry for this story. God bless you, John. You gave him a wonderful life.

95. :cry: My deepest condolences to John on the passing of his dear dog, Schoep, Donna on the passing of her dear cat Rocky and Popkissed on the passing of her dear cat Tigger :cry:

96. AWW :( I hope your dear sweet kitty will be okay, mydragon :(

97. Liliane farran says:

He had someone to love him and carefor him. He is resting now in Dog Heaven .
    Will be missed, for sure.
    Liliane

98. Ur lovable doggie was a beautiful one,soo sorry for ur loss.nevaforget,All Dogs go to Heaven!!!!!!!! Peace and much Love.He looked very loved!!