Mother Gooses her Child!

How else can a Mama Cat keep her ducklettes in a row? Give ‘em love bites on the butt. Just like a real family.

Fave Frame:

Screen Shot 2013-07-14 at 1.55.51 PM
As seen on Love Meow

Comments

1. Janine Melnitz says:

The ending was very sweet, where they’re all snuggled up, but it’s a bit uncomfortable watching her try to pick them up by the scruffs of their necks and the like. She sees them as the same as her kittens but they’ll grow up a lot quicker than the cats will.

2. Mama cat: I said its bedtime and I mean it !

3. snufflemonster says:

Awww… all you see is the chicks swarming over kittens. That’s really cute :o)

4. good girl

5. Katherine says:

LOL! “Geeze, Mom, I’m hungry! I’ll come back for a snuggle when I’m done eating!”

6. Keep biting their bums and then you wonder why you’ve got duck poop in your mouth, momma cat.

7. At the end when the ducklings come to snuggle with Momma Cat… AAWWwwww…
    Precious, Just precious.

8. I think she’s trying to get them near here so she can lick their behinds to stimulate them to go like she’d do with her own kittens.

9. Well, someone has imprinted upon the wrong species!

10. Oh dear. Scruffing doesn’t really work as well with ducks as with kittens, does it?

11. Rachael says:

“The yeller ones are just like their father. I can’t do a thing with him either.”

12. Saffron says:

MomCat now knows trying to get ducks to behave is like herding cats! :D

13. This looks a lot like my front garden (except for the ducks): my feral porch cat, Mamacita, had kittens about 3 weeks ago. One of the 7 didn’t make it, but the surviving 6 are reaching the stage of scamper-pounce. Given their coordination, it’s more like stumble-pounce. Best of all, Mamacita wouldn’t talk to me a year ago, but now she’s willling to accept petting. She hisses a bit when I try to look at the babies, but she’s mellowing out (slowly). I can’t imagine picking her up and stuffing her into a carrier without full body armor, but should be able to nab her and get her spayed before there’s another litter.

14. Tony James says:

Um…where do you find full body armour for a cat? Although maybe the person who made the guinea-pig armour that was on ebay recently could help out…

15. JenDeyan says:

This is bar none on of the most amazingly adorable things I’ve ever seen. Mama kitty is just trying to be a good mama and get her little featherlings curled in with her furrlings for warmth. She was rather persistent about it too. But it’s all good in the end when they come back to the fold and curl in at the end. Motherhood is magical.

16. literally teared up at 3:10 on when the duckies come back to momma for a snuggle. she was so anxious about them not being cuddled up with her and then to see how they come back to her and she relaxes… all the feels.

17. edmundh says:

Mama cat is going to freak out when the duckies go for a swim.

BTW don’t forget the other video of this family. Lots of snuggling!!

18. 6rabbits says:

Love when mama cat can’t get the first ducky–it’s like he’s on a bungee cord!–and she tries with another one! “Okay…ONE of you is coming back here!” The cuddling at the end…*sploot* (brain esplodes)

19. SlaveToCat says:

Mama Cat just can’t seem to keep three of her younguns out of the water. Maybe someday they will outgrow their desire to be in water. A mother can always hope.

20. Is there anything a mamma cat won’t adopt?

21. bluebird says:

See James Herriott on “wrapping a cat”.

22. A respect for human superiority?

23. Make one out of foil and I bet you could sell it for twice as much.

24. Clairdelune says:

At the beginning, I wondered about whether mama cat was herding the ducklings or trying to get some lunch while her furry babies were nursing… but then it became clear she just wanted to keep her strange yellow babies from straying too far, and give them a good lick before a nap. Absolutely precious.

25. Blue Footed Booby says:

Anarcho-syndicalism?

26. cats and ducks, living together

27. Ducks and cats living together, mass hysteria!

28. Just wait, it’s coming before you or Mama know it. That day when their mobility outstrips their intelligence. OHMYGAHWHATAREYOUDOINGGETDOWNFROMTHERE

29. 1:25 “Where do you think you’re going, young man?”

30. Don’t worry momma kitteh; adoptions can often be frought. And also this video is so full of irony I feel like the tin man.

31. Sooooo… Cute!

32. Mass hysteria!!

33. The look of consternation on Mama Cat’s face after a gazillion attempts to corral the ducklings to sleep was priceless! Poor mama, you are just too awesome.

34. Cross-species adoptions are tricky enough, but in this case a cross-class, mammal-to-bird adoption is baffling the mother cat to an extreme. Her duckling babies need to go off to feed for themselves (I assume that’s a hollow of food they keep returning to; they certainly are pecking like it is) but her every instinct is that babies that age need to feed from HER. I’m glad she finally gave up, both for her sake and that of the ducklings (though, since they had her outnumbered, as long as she took turns, at least they each got to eat two-thirds of the time).

35. So precious– mama wants all her babies
    snuggling with her. How gentle she is with
    them:). Sometimes animal mothers give US
    good role models:)

36. She’s trying…really trying! Someday she’ll grasp that they are not kittens, but hopefully they will still be friends for life.

37. When she started to go after the duckling first, my heart stopped, I thought ‘OMG, don’t break his neck!’ Hormones are really amazing, obviously you make a nursing cat believe that almost everything that moves is one of her kittens.

38. Laura DragonWench says:

OMG, that’s exactly what was going through my head as well! That expression of Momma Cat’s spoke volumes.

39. kinda disgusting really, the whole time

40. Indeed, Puppi.

41. This video wasn’t just cute it was one of the most adorable things I have ever EVER seen. You wouldn’t think that the cat would do that but this video proved me to be wrong on that. :D :)