Still A Hot One Out There, Folks

This reminder from Cute Overload- don’t forget to take extra care of your furry friends if you’re in an area that’s getting baked by the summer heatwave.

9139319962_65cc593e00_b

IMG_5095

Top photo of Flynn, O’Brien, and Chloe from Cuteporter Rick H. Sqwerl photo by TBH.

Comments

1. Kari Callin says:

I was so worried about those animals who don’t have anyone to take care of, like the birds, that I put a bowl of water out for them behind my apartment! The crows were actually panting here!

2. skippymom says:

Does anyone have any tricks to get cats to drink more water? Skippy sucks it down like crazy, but my other three don’t really drink at all.

3. Be specilly careful if you have a short faced dog,they don’t breath well in the best of times and this hot weather can be a killer.
    Skippymom,you might add a litle water to the canned food…

4. rescue gal says:

The lady in the first video should carry a portable bowl and not choke her dog pouring water down it’s throat like that!

Also, these reports forget seem to leave out all other animals. All kinds of pets are susceptible to heat.

5. kibblenibble says:

I put bowls all over the house. I read somewhere that some cats instinctively prefer to drink water that is far away from their food, because if they were eating something dead in the wild, it would contaminate any water that was nearby with bacteria.

6. A water fountain might trigger them to want to drink more. It’s an instinctual thing (in nature moving water means it’s likely fresh).

But, as always with cats, you never know how a particular cat will take to something… :D

7. skippymom says:

We have had two water fountains in the past, and Eddy used to use them. But each of them broke after a couple of years’ use (and they are also onerous to clean) and I reverted to a bowl. It’s not a major concern for us, I was just curious.

8. My wife & I feed the birds and squirrels (and hummingbirds) in the backyard. The seed we put out for the birds and squirrels, we shove under the overhang of the garage cause the patio is so hot for their feet. they have a big dish of water that gets refilled, with ice cubes. Gotta take care of the friends.

9. Coffee Cup says:

Sort of dumb question. How hot is too hot? Unless it’s sweltering we leave the AC off and the pets seem fine. How warm is too warm for animals?

10. kibblenibble says:

I tried to reply before, but went to the mod lounge. They have frozen margueritas in there today, BTW. :-) I place several bowls of water all around the house. That seems to help. I had the same problems with a fountain. Good luck.

11. Leilani says:

I put ice cubes in our two bird baths.

12. We’re having a weird kind of summer here in Québec, they called it a saw blade summer on the news the other day. It’s very hot and humid one week up to 40c (104F) and down to 16c (60F) the next.

13. anonymous says:

try salting their wet food – if they get wet food; or have them play with ice cubes in the sink or bathtub

14. Einstein says:

Wondering if the two labradoodles in the top pic live in California! They look an awful lot like two pups that we took a dog obedience class with last summer, and I seem to remember one of them being named Flynn.

15. sabrina rose says:

I’ve had as many as 12 cats when fostering, so I also put multiple bowls of water around the house. Sometimes cats like privacy when they are drinking, because they might feel vulnerable to a pounce! You could try a little tuna or clam juice in the water if they really dislike drinking. In extreme weather, maybe skip the dry kibble and feed canned food with a bit of extra water or cooled broth. Younger cats might like playing at a bathroom sink with a dripping faucet, or filled with some water and a couple floating toys.

16. We are grey, overcast, wet and cold here in the UK (albeit the pollen count is high!). I am still feeding my garden birds because flowering and fruiting plants are so far behind, if they’re not dead already.

I do hope all the peeps and the anipals in hot areas make it through the heat waves safely.

17. I’m in the mod lounge as well. Pass that frozen margarita.

18. Dripping faucet works for me with some of them. The trick then is remembering to go back and turn it off eventually. I also put a small cup in the kitchen sink that’s filled with water – a couple of them will drink out of that. As noted by others, every single one is different.

19. Sounds like MI. We’re in a 70F/60F week right now, but last week was way hot & humid.

20. Saffron says:

Not a dumb question at all. All I know is from my own kittehs’ responses to heat and AC. Mine do not seem to mind heat that bothers me..so when the house gets up to close to 78 or 80 degrees, the AC goes on cause hoomins feel hot but kittehs not in distress…one of the long haired kittehs picks the hottest room in the house and lays in a patch of sun, so go figure! I think if you judge that your pets are fine then they are. Danger signs for kittehs are panting and excessive water drinkage; otherwise their fur acts as a cooling as well as heating system.

If you are not sure, you can call your vet and ask for warning signs of overheating for your anipals.

Hope this helps.

21. metsakins says:

All I have to say is…hunk with puppeh…ded!

22. SoccerSue says:

I’ve even put out a big bowl of water for the deer that trek through our backyard. Some of them just eye it with suspicion on the way past but I’ve seen several of them drinking out of it. :-)

23. Smartypants says:

I was really glad to see my Physical Therapist’s office has posted not one but several signs telling patients not to leave pets in their cars in the heat.

People putting out H20 for wild animals = win!