Happy 20th, Schoep!

originalRemember Schoep from last summer? He was having some serious health issues. Donations poured in to cover treatment costs, and the Schoep Legacy Foundation was set up to help low-income families care for their ailing doggehs. To top it off, Schoep’s feeling great and just celebrated his 20th birthday on the 15th! Enjoy the summer, Schoepster!

9103441498_c913ef71b2_z

Read more about Schoep and his devoted hoomin Unger at their website. Lot more photos and news here.

9103441350_75fa9dcbd0_o

Thumbnail by Hannah Stonehouse Hudson; photos 2 & 3 from Schoep’s FB. Thanks to Fleurdamour1 for the assist.

Comments

1. Happiest of Birf-days to one amazing and be-oo-ti-full doggie! Such a wonderful relationship!

2. I got 3 birthday cards this year. I’m jealous.

3. Happy happy birthday Schoep, I’m so glad your feeling better!

4. Kari Callin says:

Happy Barkday, Schoep!!!

5. Miss Tara says:

Happy birthday, Schoep! And hugs & love to your wonderful hoomin!

6. Oh good heavens, this story makes me cry Every. Single. Time!

7. Janet in Cambridge says:

I’m so glad that you and your dad are enjoying another birthday, handsome boy. You sure picked the right person to spend your time with! Happy, happy Birthday, Schoep.

8. Wow, 20! That is impressive, especially for a not so small doggie. Happy B-day!

9. Indeed :D

10. rae carson says:

I recommend John’s FB postings to you – essentially every day he posts a brief note about Schoep’s day, with a new picture of Schoep’s sweet face. Reading his posts, full of kindness and the simple joy of living, always illuminates my day.

11. Big belated birthday hugs and paw-bumps to Schoep (and his sweetheart of a hoomin)!

12. Sharon Wilson says:

Hey, Schoep and I have the same birthday!

13. Keep on Schoepin’!

14. Schoep
    I hope you enjoy your special day and all the love that is coming your way. May you have many many more you lovely boy.

15. i_wuvs_puttins says:

I agree, ceejoe, brings me to tears every time. Bless Schoep (happy birthday, puppeh) and John! So glad to hear he’s doing well.

16. Rachael says:

Me too, ceejoe, but it’s the best kind of cry. My baby girl will turn 13 in a couple weeks so this story really gives me hope (she’s a chihuahua so 20 is not at all out of the question).

Happy Birfday, Schoepster!!

17. Jendeyan says:

There are few things in this that in this world that are pure and good. This story is one of them.

18. Happy Birthday to you too, Sharon. Confetti and cake coming right up.

19. Re: hovertext on Pic 2 – I think he just needs glasses. ;)

20. fleurdamour says:

PS – Schoep is adorably fuzzy, isn’t he? Esp. his ears.

21. Happy Birthday to you, Merry Birthday to you!
    May all your good dreams and fine wishes come true!
    May every day bring you its own special cheer,
    The gift of our friendship, and fortune this year!

(A green jacket and shoes must be worn when singing this song)

Schoep is looking happy and healthy, and that is so good to see! Much happiness and many blessings to John and Schoep!

22. It’s so rare to see a big dog make a 20th birthday. Actually I don’t ever remember hearing of such a thing. Wow.

23. I’ve never heard of a 20th either in a dog! I had a cat who made it 18. Oh how I lurrrrve men who love animals. Precious!!

24. I second the “indeed.” In fact I’m almost incredulous; I wonder if they have his original birth year correct. I would have said it was physically impossible for a dog that size to live 20 years. It’s like a human living to be 140 or something.

25. I should explain I’m not using the factor of 7 that’s been discredited; I was thinking that a large dog usually is lucky to make 10, and this was double that, so it was double a usual human lifespan. The 7 bit was a coincidence.

26. Are you a sweet older dog with a handsome hoomin?

27. Well, there’s the “average” cat life of maybe 20, tops, but then the one that lived to be something like 34. (Too late at night to go look stuff up.) I’d believe he’s an exception. And, I have friends with an extremely large dog (120 lbs. and not fat) who’s working on 12 and doing well at it. Remember, vet care has advanced greatly and hurray for that!

28. Yes, I follow them on FB too.

29. PS, there are donkeys too.

30. Blue Footed Booby says:

Expanding on this: knowing the average doesn’t tell you a whole lot if you don’t also know the standard deviation. Bell curves come in different widths, after all.

31. If he has to get that close to read .. get that pup some reading glasses !

Love that little guy and his owner for caring for him as much as he does

32. Thanks for the update. An example of true love between animals & humans. Beautiful!

33. Linda Grimmer says:

My oldest kitty was 21, the next 20 something, and another 18. Our oldest horse is almost 35. I have loved following this wonderful story of Schoep and John. Loving care goes a long way. Blessings.

34. Happy birthday schoep . I’m happy you feel better. Best of wishes to you and all your loved ones.

35. Ana Félix Pires says:

20 years old! That’s a long time for a doggie. Happy birthday! :)

36. R.I.P., Schoep. You will be missed.